SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Closed Thread

Old 10-31-07, 07:37 AM   #61
denis_469
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigboywooly
I am griping about the usual lack of attention

If the original quote is true concerning a type XVIII then as posted before its BS
If the pics showing the type XXI are true again its BS
Even in the link that Neal posted the pics dont match the text
"Playable Type XVIII"
Pic of a type XXI

Wasn't the XXI a slight development over the XVIII, but with electric propulsion instead of the H2O2? I've just looked the XVIII up on Uboat.net and the dimensions given are very similar to the XXI...I've not found any pics of the XVIII, but it seems reasonable to me that the designs would have been very similar.

Does anybody have any pictures which prove otherwise?
Main external view different was AA armament. Type XXI can have 20mm and 30mm guns only, but XVIII have new 37mm guns.
Old 10-31-07, 08:58 AM   #62
dean_acheson
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greentimbers
I have the download version and the disc version of both SH III and SH IV.
I will gladly pay for any addons made by the developers

Whatever it takes to support these tpes of sims
10/4 on that. I'm much more of a USN fan, but I'll get this, just to support this kinda of thing.

Hopefully, I'll get to stand on the deck of a Fletcher class destroyer, in a 3D enviorment with a crew......
Old 10-31-07, 09:00 AM   #63
dean_acheson
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 42

[quote=Reaves]It's definately good news but TBH I think UBI could have done better with an addon.

Destroyer Command is needed for SH4! I love my subs and prefer them but the base for a surface game is already there with SH4 and wouldn't take much development to bring it to life.

[quote]

I don't know how much work it would take, but I'd give quite a good chunk of change to have an updated DD sim.
Old 10-31-07, 10:06 AM   #64
MONOLITH
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeFF
Besides, I think the devs that frequent these forums have thick enough skin to ignore all the negativity flung around here sometimes.
Having thick skin is not a request to be disrespected or insulted.

When I go to my mother-in-laws house for dinner, I think her cooking really sucks. It doesn't mean I have to tell her so and rub her nose in it.

As for "meh, GWX already did that"; GWX wouldn't exist without the foundation layed down in Romania. Several of the GWX modders recieved assistance from the game devs, and I have even seen elanaiba say a good word about GWX on another website.

It would be nice if that same courtesy were returned.

But hey, represent yourself as you wish; what goes around comes around.
Old 10-31-07, 10:09 AM   #65
tonibamestre
中国水兵

Downloads: 82

So,now that we know theres going to be an addon by next spring,may be Ubi could continue the expansions and other addons implementing the 50s and 60s subs,also improving graphics,ports,effects........

Good Job UBI.
Old 10-31-07, 10:53 AM   #66
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

I'm very excited about it, because if they do just that much, it opens the possibility for the rest of the German campaign to be available. I like WW2 sub sims, period, and I'm excited at the possibility of SH3 being brought up to the same standard as SH4, which also means that the GWX stuff will be available for both.

I'm curious to see how the voices will be done. Of course the German subs will have German voices, but will you have to go to the options menu every time you switch campaigns, or will it be automatic.
Old 10-31-07, 11:20 AM   #67
mookiemookie
Navy Seal

Downloads: 105
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve
I'm very excited about it, because if they do just that much, it opens the possibility for the rest of the German campaign to be available. I like WW2 sub sims, period, and I'm excited at the possibility of SH3 being brought up to the same standard as SH4, which also means that the GWX stuff will be available for both.
I'm excited to see what the modders can do with this as well. While the "out of the box" realism may not be there, the fact that new functionality is being added is a plus to me if it gives the GWX crew or whoever the springboard needed to do their thing.

I'll certainly be buying it in order to support our talented dev team and sub sims in general.

Want more U-boat Kaleun portraits for your SH3 Commander Profiles? Download the SH3 Commander Portrait Pack here.
Old 10-31-07, 11:35 AM   #68
dcb
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 544

Quote:
I'm very excited about it, because if they do just that much, it opens the possibility for the rest of the German campaign to be available.
This is precisely what I think myself. They are doing this with the Atlantic in mind - either made by the UBI team or the modders. And, of course, anything that will reach to a broader audience (buyers) is good for UBI and also good for us, subsim fans. Blasting at devs with all arsenal might just make UBI suits say "See, there's no future for your work. Better start making another FPS that will sell for sure and earn your money". So, we should all applaud the initiative, instead of criticising it, or SH4 might be the last subsim you'll see in many years to come.
Then again, AFAIK, SH4 was a big hit only in the US, leaving the huge market of Europe rather apathic, as this market is more interested in games dealing with the European WW2 struggle.
Conclusion: Support the devs, instead of bashing them with all sort of criticism. I, for one, am eagerly awaiting this add-on and will certainly buy it.
Old 10-31-07, 11:55 AM   #69
bigboywooly
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by MONOLITH
Quote:
Besides, I think the devs that frequent these forums have thick enough skin to ignore all the negativity flung around here sometimes.
Several of the GWX modders recieved assistance from the game devs
Really ?

My mediafire page http://www.mediafire.com/?11eoq19bq9r41
Old 10-31-07, 12:39 PM   #70
Nightmare
Engineer

Downloads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb
Then again, AFAIK, SH4 was a big hit only in the US, leaving the huge market of Europe rather apathic, as this market is more interested in games dealing with the European WW2 struggle.
The reverse could probably have been said about SH2 and SH3 here in the states. There are a lot of American players that have little or no interest in the Atlantic campaign. Personally, to me a subsim is a subsim however when it comes to WW2 my primary interest is in the Pacific. Didn’t stop me from picking up and playing the Hell out of both SH2 and SH3. SH4 was a welcome change as it had been close to a decade since the Pacific had been done (SH1) and I was quickly becoming burned out in the Atlantic.

Am I going to get the add-on? Sure, but I doubt I’ll take the U-Boat out more than once or twice. For me, it’s more showing my support for maybe an addition add-on or a future game. If it’ll get more of the Atlantic crowd over and if it makes the Atlantic Mods lives easier, I’m all for it. More the merrier I say!
Old 10-31-07, 12:41 PM   #71
ReallyDedPoet
Canadian Wolf

Downloads: 946
Uploads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mookiemookie
Quote:
I'm excited to see what the modders can do with this as well. While the "out of the box" realism may not be there, the fact that new functionality is being added is a plus to me if it gives the GWX crew or whoever the springboard needed to do their thing.

I'll certainly be buying it in order to support our talented dev team and sub sims in general.
I am glad you mentioned the whoever part here as well, their are quite a few talented modders already in SH4 doing their thing. They don't need to take a backseat to anybody.

I think folks here, be it SH3 or SH4, want to see the Silent Hunter Series taken to the next level, that can only be a good thing Lots of potential for both the Pacific ( the surface has only been scratched for this theatre ) and Atlantic Theatres ( beyond the add-on ) going forward for the current SH4 release.

RDP

Back in the Day

Last edited by ReallyDedPoet; 10-31-07 at 01:01 PM.
Old 10-31-07, 12:43 PM   #72
Nightmare
Engineer

Downloads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_acheson
Hopefully, I'll get to stand on the deck of a Fletcher class destroyer, in a 3D enviorment with a crew......
I’ll second this! Would love to see DD add-on. I’d also love to see a remake of Task Force 1942 with modern graphics.
Old 10-31-07, 01:08 PM   #73
tonibamestre
中国水兵

Downloads: 82

Yeap,we ll see about all this.Certainly,more addons could be implemented after Uboot one,a new 3D Destroyer Command with US,British,German and Jap ships,and why not a Battleship Command,Cruiser Command or even a Scort Carrier Command and big fleet carriers one? That would be really amazing!!
To take control of almost the most impresive units that took part during the WWII.
Old 10-31-07, 01:08 PM   #74
ref
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by MONOLITH
Quote:
Having thick skin is not a request to be disrespected or insulted.

When I go to my mother-in-laws house for dinner, I think her cooking really sucks. It doesn't mean I have to tell her so and rub her nose in it.

As for "meh, GWX already did that"; GWX wouldn't exist without the foundation layed down in Romania. Several of the GWX modders recieved assistance from the game devs, and I have even seen elanaiba say a good word about GWX on another website.

It would be nice if that same courtesy were returned.

But hey, represent yourself as you wish; what goes around comes around.
With all due respect, I think that the problem here is this (quoting from the first post)
Quote:
It will focus on the historically accurate but largely unknown German U-boat campaign in the Indian Ocean during World War II. U-Boat Missions offers players a variety of new features and content including an entirely fresh and innovative strategic element, new playable submarines, an improved navigation map, improved upgrade system, and more![/B]
What BB was remarking is that they claim "It will focus on the historically accurate", which for the info and pictures posted is not true, if they had said that it was loosely based on the Indian Ocean campaign, or it was a fictional scenario no one will be "complaining", we all respect the romanian devs, after all it's their way of earning money to live, and I think I'll speak for all the team members that we'll be buying the expansion, if for not other reason, just to support them.

Said that I want to remark that all of our attempts to get help from the dev team had been denied in an educated way, Neal is witness of that, as the last attempt to get help from them was made by him in our behalf, all we have made was acomplished either by our own (the hard way, studying the files bit by bit) or with help from the comunity.

Ref
Old 10-31-07, 01:09 PM   #75
missleman01
Seaman

Downloads: 79

Boy, for all the complaints, still sounds fun to me. Sounds like plenty of nice opportunties for WWII scenarios:

http://uboat.net/ops/monsun3.htm
Closed Thread