SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-22-15, 04:51 PM   #16
Sniper297
The Old Man

Downloads: 160
Uploads: 19

Nope. I game in a perfect world where congress and bureau of ordinance were keelhauled in 1937 so US subs had reliable torpedoes before the war started instead of farting around for the first two years, so I play with duds disabled. The mod only has selected increases in damage and/or blast radius to reflect what might have been if the 600 or 800 pound warheads were standard at the start.

\Data\Library\Torpedoes_US.zon

Affects only the maximum and minimum damage and blast radius.

\Data\Library\Torpedoes_US.dat

is the file you need to figure out which torpedo is which. Example;

0x8f346dcc43bfbcb2

is the ID for the Mark 14, so I hunt through Torpedoes_US.zon and find parent ID 0x8f346dcc43bfbcb2 and make a note that #12 is the mark 14.

\Data\Library\Torpedoes_US.sim

is the file which has the dud chances for each torpedo if you're interested in tweaking that.

I might do it myself someday if I get the time and ambition, AFAIK nobody has done that. Stock game it's a choice between too many duds or no duds at all.

Before we get into protests that too many duds is realistic, I understand that - but realistic sometimes sucks for a game. I actually served in the US Navy, Aviation ASW tech in Sikorsky Sea King antisubmarine helicopters, USS INDEPENDENCE and USS AMERICA. Simulating a sailor's life down to every realistic detail would involve hours and hours of standing watches where nothing happened, chipping, scraping, painting, cleaning toilets, swabbing decks and running a buffer, filling out tiresome maintenance action forms, you name it. The exciting stuff would make a good game, most of the details would not. To me dud torpedoes are something I can live without in a WWII submarine simulator.
Sniper297 is offline   Reply With Quote