SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Modern-Era Subsims > Dangerous Waters > DW Mod Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-07-07, 06:00 AM   #1
Castout
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 6
Default Annoying super rapid torpedo pinging

I just had a weird experience that an enemy torpedoe, well there were actually two torpedoes but only one seemed to be heading my way while the other was oblivious to my presence, anyway that one torpedo pings so rapidly like it was mere few feet from me which is ridiculous and not to mention very annoying.

Does anybody know why is this happening(very rapid pinging). I know that the closer the torpedo gets the more rapid is its pinging but this one is so rapid thus becoming very ridiculous. It's not that rapid all the time but when the torpedo is heading my way it gets very rapid but the distance was still at least 1.5 to 2 nm away.

Latest LWAMI 3.08 installed and the improved sound mod from subguru.

And the torpedoes were fired from a Trafalgar sub. Perhpas this would give some clue?
Old 12-07-07, 09:59 AM   #2
Molon Labe
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 27
Uploads: 5

locked onto a decoy "a few feet away" maybe?
Old 12-07-07, 02:13 PM   #3
Castout
Silent Hunter

Unfortunately that wasn't the case Molon Labe. But that was a smart thought

My countermeasures had been passed by the torpedoes

In fact none of the torpedoes were acquiring me as one was completely oblivious of me(running at shallow depth without snaking while I was at 1600feet) and the other was still snaking at deep depth. But everytime that snaking torpedo snake into my direction I get that awful very rapid pinging. But it still hadn't acquired me for sure because it was still snaking.

My best guess is that it has something to do with that particular torpedo type being launched. Does LWAMI introduce different behavior script for different torpedo type?
The torpedo was launched from the Trafalgar so all I need to do is to look at a British torpedo script file.

Here's a little something from LWAMI 3.08 Readme file:hmm::
Torpedo Performance—Substantial improvements have been made to torpedo behavior.

1) The search pattern of snaking torpedoes has been reduce from 90 degrees forward arc to 60 degrees forward arc; AI torpedoes fired at submerged contacts will no longer strike nearby surface traffic by mistake; and the AI will now also sometimes fire torpedoes under layers at submerged targets.

2) Torpedoes now have seekers of unique quality and ping frequency, as previously all torpedoes were equally capable of detecting and tracking a target because they all shared a single seeker. The practical effect of this is to make high quality heavyweight torpedoes such as the ADCAP or UGST much more effective weapons individually than lightweight torpedoes such as the Mk50 or SUBROC’s or older out of date torpedoes.

3) Torpedoes will now reliably begin searching again after losing their track or being spoofed by and burning through a countermeasure.

Does Luftwolf still check this forum out? Does anybody know what/which file to look at to view British torpedo pinging frequency?
Maybe it wasn't a bug but it was intended as such that the British pinging frequency is very very rapid even when not locking onto anytarget?
Old 12-07-07, 02:51 PM   #4
Molon Labe
Silent Hunter

"Frequency" as used in the readme refers to the frequency of the signal itself (in Hz) rather than the frequency of signals being emitted.

LW's been gone for months but he popped up again this week, hopefully we'll be seeing more of him soon.
Old 12-07-07, 02:59 PM   #5
Castout
Silent Hunter

Oh I see. then I don't know what casuing the very rapid pinging. Last time I played DW again the very rapid pinging was not there.
Old 12-07-07, 05:17 PM   #6
Molon Labe
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castout
Oh I see. then I don't know what casuing the very rapid pinging. Last time I played DW again the very rapid pinging was not there.
Did it sound the same way as it does when the torp is about to hit whatever it's locked onto? DW's sound wonks sometimes, I'm guessing that if it sounded different from that it's just acting buggy, maybe something with the sound card, maybe something caused by tabbing in/out or time compression, weirdness like that.
Old 12-07-07, 07:27 PM   #7
Castout
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molon Labe
Did it sound the same way as it does when the torp is about to hit whatever it's locked onto? DW's sound wonks sometimes, I'm guessing that if it sounded different from that it's just acting buggy, maybe something with the sound card, maybe something caused by tabbing in/out or time compression, weirdness like that.
I don't think it is something to do with my soundcard but the time compression is more likely.

At first I thought it was because I was warping the game but then I realized I already had it at 1x compression.

It didn't sound different but was very very rapid as if I were using the time compression to the max but I wasn't.