SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 5
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-04-10, 01:55 AM   #931
THE_MASK
Ace of the deep .

Downloads: 901
Uploads: 73

Its not a game bug . Corrupted install maybe .
THE_MASK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-10, 01:19 AM   #932
HF_Warbucks
Nub

Downloads: 4
Uploads: 0
SH5 Graphics Issue

~S~ Gentlemen,
I'm not really sure if this is the right place to post this message, but here goes. Your help in any way will be much appreciated.

I've just purchased the retail version of SH5, and after reading some of the bad reports about the game I get the feeling that I've been had. After waiting with anticipation for the installation to complete, I started a new campaign. The guy wakes me up and tells me that the captain wants to see me up on the bridge.

I walk to the ladder in the control room and look up. I can see the night sky through the hatch. I go up both ladders and through the hatch and then everything goes completely black. The Captain speaks but I cannot see him. In fact, I can't see anything at all outside of the boat, including all of the other stations and the external camera. If that's not bad enough, I cannot get off the bridge because I cannot find the hatch again.

Also, I cannot see anything through either of the periscopes, that is if I'm lucky enough to find my way back inside the boat.

As with all games that I play, I have my graphics completely maxed out. My computer should easily run SH5 as it is way over the system requirements for this game. It can easily handle SH3, IL2 1946, FS9 and FSX with maxed out graphics.

I posted this message on the UbiSoft SH5 forums and only one guy replied. He implied that I needed to install DirectX 9c. I had my doubts about that because I'm running Windoze 7 Ultimate 64 Bit. It appears that my version of DirectX is as recent as it gets. Willing to try anything to make the game work properly, I took his advice and installed DirectX 9c. Unfortunately, nothing has changed. I'm still stuck on the bridge in complete darkness and unable to find the hatch.

Have I purchased an expensive drink coaster to put my cans of beer on? I hope not because it will cost a small fortune to buy the entire matching set for parties.

System Specs;
CPU: Intel Core i7 950 @ 3.07 GHz
Motherboard: Gigabyte X58A-UD3R
RAM: 6 Gb Corsair triple channel
Video: 2 ATI Radeon HD 5700 series (Crossfire)
Hard Disk:
1 Terrabyte Seagate 7,200 rpm SATA2 + 150 GB Western Digital Raptor 10,000 rpm SATA2

Regards,
Captain War
HF_Warbucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-10, 08:40 AM   #933
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Downloads: 147
Uploads: 5

running Win 7 Ultimate 64bit here also with no problems. I use an nVidia GTX480 though. I would suspect the ATI crossfire as the problem (driver problem). Seems like ATI has many problems with this game. I was an ATI user until I tried nVidia. Will never go back to ATI again
TheDarkWraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-10, 04:14 PM   #934
HF_Warbucks
Nub

Downloads: 4

Thank you DarkWraith,

It was the other way around for me. I was using nvidea many years ago until I had some annoying issues with their older cards. So, I switched to ATI because a large percentage of lads from my IL2 squadron were at the time using ATI without any issues at all.

Your reply prompted me to try something which I neglected to do initially. I opened the ATI software and disabled the Crossfire, so now for this game only I'm using only one video card. I'm pleased to report that I now have exterior views. Issue solved. Thanks again old chap!

All I have to do now is learn how to drive the boat.

Regards
War
HF_Warbucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-10, 05:04 PM   #935
Generis71
Seaman

Downloads: 36
Default Can't start New Campaign

Hi folks,

The damndest thing. Bought SH5 via Steam, and downloaded it. Ran it and all seemed to work ok. Thought I'd try some mods, but somewhere along the line I cocked something up and was getting graphics issues (complete black screen except for UI). So I uninstalled and re-installed. I made sure I deleted the remainder of the game file (in the SteamApps, Common folder), and the file in My Documents. I did this to make sure I had a clean re-installation.

I re-install the game and now can't start a Campaign. I click New Campaign and enter my name. Then I have the screen where you choose the year of the campaign. But I can't even select the first one, in 1939. Nothing is highlighted. I've tried re-installing but nothing.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Karl
Generis71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-11, 08:46 AM   #936
Trondheim77
Seaman

Downloads: 233
Default Black screen bug

1: black screen bug after loading save game.

2. stuck in ladder.

3: Airplanes not attacking.
Old 01-03-11, 01:12 PM   #937
voss
Engineer

Downloads: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trondheim77 View Post
1: black screen bug after loading save game.

2. stuck in ladder.

3: Airplanes not attacking.
1. Here is a thread that deals with this same problem: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=177485

2. Don't know what you mean by "stuck in ladder."

3. In the vanilla game, planes won't attack you until later in the war. They will radio your position and send warships, so don't get too comfortable. There is a mod, called IRAI, I believe, which gooses the aggressiveness of both enemy planes and warships dramatically.

Happy hunting!
4GB 667MHz RAM
ATI Radeon HD 5750 1 GB Graphics Card
Windows XP Pro, SP3, v. 5938
voss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-11, 09:43 AM   #938
nozaurio
Planesman

Downloads: 65

Quote:
Originally Posted by HF_Warbucks View Post
~S~ Gentlemen,
I'm not really sure if this is the right place to post this message, but here goes. Your help in any way will be much appreciated.

I've just purchased the retail version of SH5, and after reading some of the bad reports about the game I get the feeling that I've been had. After waiting with anticipation for the installation to complete, I started a new campaign. The guy wakes me up and tells me that the captain wants to see me up on the bridge.

I walk to the ladder in the control room and look up. I can see the night sky through the hatch. I go up both ladders and through the hatch and then everything goes completely black. The Captain speaks but I cannot see him. In fact, I can't see anything at all outside of the boat, including all of the other stations and the external camera. If that's not bad enough, I cannot get off the bridge because I cannot find the hatch again.

Also, I cannot see anything through either of the periscopes, that is if I'm lucky enough to find my way back inside the boat.

As with all games that I play, I have my graphics completely maxed out. My computer should easily run SH5 as it is way over the system requirements for this game. It can easily handle SH3, IL2 1946, FS9 and FSX with maxed out graphics.

I posted this message on the UbiSoft SH5 forums and only one guy replied. He implied that I needed to install DirectX 9c. I had my doubts about that because I'm running Windoze 7 Ultimate 64 Bit. It appears that my version of DirectX is as recent as it gets. Willing to try anything to make the game work properly, I took his advice and installed DirectX 9c. Unfortunately, nothing has changed. I'm still stuck on the bridge in complete darkness and unable to find the hatch.

Have I purchased an expensive drink coaster to put my cans of beer on? I hope not because it will cost a small fortune to buy the entire matching set for parties.

System Specs;
CPU: Intel Core i7 950 @ 3.07 GHz
Motherboard: Gigabyte X58A-UD3R
RAM: 6 Gb Corsair triple channel
Video: 2 ATI Radeon HD 5700 series (Crossfire)
Hard Disk:
1 Terrabyte Seagate 7,200 rpm SATA2 + 150 GB Western Digital Raptor 10,000 rpm SATA2

Regards,
Captain War
HF_Warbucks greetings.

This type of failure appears to be a bug in the game. I say this because I had installed a ATI 5870 and presented the fault, then bought a Nvidia GTX580 and casually showed the same type of failure.
They say it's a bug, because the game speed time about 12 hours, the fault disappears.

It is obvious that I save the game when I installed the Ati and then opened the game with the new Nvidia, it may be that the failure was produced by ATI to be saved and so when you open the save, with Nvidia is also
This failure makes it sporadically and when you save a game, when you start the save, it appears this flaw.

Test HF_Warbucks reinstall your two video cards and when you see failure, speed up time in the game, about 12 hours and see the black screen disappears. This test should do it while inside the submarine ...

Excuse my poor English!!!

Last edited by nozaurio; 01-04-11 at 09:58 AM.
nozaurio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-11, 11:33 AM   #939
Trondheim77
Seaman

Downloads: 233
Default Black screen

Ok great man thanx for posting down.
Stuck in ladder: unable to move upp ore down sometimes and the hatch closes to quickly.
yes nvidia cards drivers not that very good, SH5 is a good game but you need a master pc to play this game
Old 01-11-11, 01:34 PM   #940
Rongel
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 174

Hi!

Does this happen to you? I'm surfaced and decide to man the deck gun or the flak gun by default shortcut key F5-F6. Surface the boat! The boat tries to surface again and this long audio will play again. The crew mans the guns but this constant surfacing is making me crazy! Is there anyway how to correct this? I tried to fiddle with commands.cfg but the F5-F6 keys aren't mapped for surfacing in anyway! I changed the shortcut key to something else but the problem followed. It seems somehow connected to the manning or unmanning the guns. Any help is appreciated!
Rongel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-11, 02:49 AM   #941
Falkirion
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 34

Okay I'm going to guess here but the Radeon HD5970 is compatible somehow? I've tried to start the campaign 3 times now, every time I get to the bridge outside the sub the screen blanks out. Retreating back into the sub brings graphics back but I can't see anything while on the outside.

Is there a fix I need to know about or have ATI just royally blown the drivers and rendered SH5 unplayable on my system
Falkirion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-11, 04:36 AM   #942
elanaiba
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 3
Uploads: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Generis71 View Post
Hi folks,

The damndest thing. Bought SH5 via Steam, and downloaded it. Ran it and all seemed to work ok. Thought I'd try some mods, but somewhere along the line I cocked something up and was getting graphics issues (complete black screen except for UI). So I uninstalled and re-installed. I made sure I deleted the remainder of the game file (in the SteamApps, Common folder), and the file in My Documents. I did this to make sure I had a clean re-installation.

I re-install the game and now can't start a Campaign. I click New Campaign and enter my name. Then I have the screen where you choose the year of the campaign. But I can't even select the first one, in 1939. Nothing is highlighted. I've tried re-installing but nothing.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Karl
Are you sure you have deleted the save files?

If yes, try typing "silentotto" in the campaign selection screen. See if that opens up anything for you.

elanaiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-11, 08:32 AM   #943
henriksultan
Sailor man

Downloads: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrolyzer View Post
Hey guys, been playing SH series since about '07. Finally got SH5 today, off steam. Game loads up fine, all menu's work including museum, but as soon as i go to actually get in a sub I CTD, both historical mission and campaign result in me crashing. I get as far as the loading screen where a quote is displayed, then when that fades away i hear a little shck like papers being filed and the game CTD's and the background is the picture of the pinup girl at the opening movie of the game. Has this been experienced before? my googling has found nothing but i dont have any specific keywords to use really.
I have this exact problem, weird thing is the game worked fine last year. Stopped playing for a while and later on wanted to try out the supermod and then got the crash. Removed all mods and tried again, crash. Reinstalled, crash. Reinstall again, crash.

No system changes except some windows updates (on windows 7 64 Home Premium). So today I tried the latest Nvidia drives and once again reinstall and crash. Trying to verify the game files again on steam now and will try again...

Any ideas to what I can do? I did work before so unless its a windows update that ****ed it up I don't know what's making it since i haven't done any system changes since then?
Old 01-19-11, 01:36 PM   #944
Redlance88
Sailor man

Downloads: 67
Default Two copies one Steam the other disk. cant get the disk version removed.

ok odd situation here, I have two (fully legal ) copies of the game with the intent to have the ability to play multi player games, one copy is on disk and the other is the steam version. my problem is that I had installed the disk copy on my old machine before buying a new one, and now what I want to do is use the disk copy on my main machine and the steam version on the old one , but for some reason even after an uninstall of the disk version , the steam version connects to my original disk account and downloads the mission progress and all the rest of the profile for that one, I suspect this is causing issues with my attempts to have local multi player work properly.
any tips to totally remove silent hunter 5 from my old computer to do a clean steam install? thanks for any help or tips any one has. thanks guys.
Redlance88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-11, 10:06 PM   #945
Grifty_mcgrift
Watch

Downloads: 73

I posted this problem in the mega mod thread because I was thinking I was having problems with the mod, but maybe they are more general problems, so I'm hoping someone is out there that might be able to help me.

I recently installed the Magnum Opus Mod with Patch 2 and I've been experiencing some annoying and strange problems. First, I had extreme frame rate drops, but I removed Steelvikings shadow mod and that seems to have fixed things up just fine.

But I'm still experiencing some odd graphic glitches. For example, the screen will go black. I can still move around and hear the sound of my footsteps, just the screen is black. If I alt-tab out of the game and go back, it will fix the problem, but then it happens again. I also experience glitches like things disappearing when I move the mouse pointer over them, then when I click, they reappear. I've also had the water completely disappear and I can see the ground and it looks like the boat is floating through the air. I tried updating the drivers for my graphics card and I thought that solved the problem, but the glitches reappeared when I started a new campaign and finished the tutorial. I also have a lot of random crashes to desktop. I've tried lowering my settings, but I still experience the same problem. I should also note that these issues only seem to occur in the campaign. I've tried playing some historical missions and everything runs just fine.

So has anyone else experienced these problems, and if so, please tell me how to fix them. They are very frustrating and annoying. I hope it's not a mod issue, because I really don't think I can play SH5 without MO mod. It would just suck too much.

Also, my system checks out for all system requirments. I am using an ATI card, 5700, 1gig of ram I believe. So again, any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.
Grifty_mcgrift is offline   Reply With Quote