Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-24-19, 07:24 AM   #16
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
Nah, in real world shops I only pay cash, never plastic. No cash accepted - no shopping done. Online I also never pay with credit card, only use - WHEN I MUST - a third party payment service, and just one not several.

I prefer not to use many different and ever changing shops online, so that my bank data does not fly around in every place and gets send back and forth with just any transaction. Amazon, Ebay, two other shops - thats all I filed my data in. And that already is too much, I fear.

As a matter of fact I once owned a credit card, than cancelled it due to non-use, then got another one for a very small bait-fee, and cancelled that, too. I hold no credit card anymore. I do not need my driving license in my wallet since I have no and never owned a car and do not drive (last time I did is 30 years ago), and carry my ID card only with me when I know I need it, which is on 364+ days a year I do not need it. When I lost my wallet twice in the past couple of years and honest finders called me due to a note in it, they both times were puzzled that there was no such stuff inside and they expressed their sorrow that it already was "stolen". It wasn't.

Health insurrance card I only carry with me when I visit a doctor and its a new quarter of the year (they ask for it every new quarter). I only have money as I need it inside my wallet, and a note with my contact data, and an emergency note with medical instructions. In Germany, people must have an ID card, but there is no obligation to always carry it with you.
I think someone is living in a parallel universe to the one I'm living in

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-19, 08:12 PM   #17
JU_88
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 11
Uploads: 0

Last month after moving house, I found my self in need of a 3 meter CAT 5/6 Network cable.
i went down to my local indoor computer market... yeah £10 for manky looking one not even sealed in a packet.
I bid him goodbye and placed an amazon order for £2.99
-and now I've learned never going back to him to buy anything ever again.

Unfortunately some local businesses/businessmen are their own worst enemy.
JU_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-19, 08:28 PM   #18
Armistead
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 364

I live in a small town, typical old downtown same as it looked in the 20's. There are a few other old town sort of districts. Most of the shops are specialty now. We do have a main strip with a Walmart and obviously they get most of the business. Now, local shops, the diners, I love those because I deplore fast food. Nice burger, thick, fresh vegs and fixins is like 3 bucks more than a nasty McD burger. Most everything else I buy at Tractor Supply...

You see my dog don't like people laughing. He gets the crazy idea you're laughing at him. Now if you apologize like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.
Armistead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-19, 08:33 PM   #19
Buddahaid
Shark above Space Chicken

Downloads: 160

And then there are jewels of local merchants you don't know about. I needed to buy professional stage makeup to complete my costume for Mardi Gras and found a store downtown that has a full line after I went to Amazon for most of it. Not cheaper but available with knowledgeable staff.

"Tomorrow belongs to those who can hear it coming."
David Bowie
Buddahaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-19, 10:06 PM   #20
JU_88
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 11

I was watching the Youtube Channel 'This is Dan Bell' he does a good dead mall series where he tours many of Americas dead and dying malls.

in one episode he points out how these giant malls (in their 90's hey day) threatened small/local businesses, but now many of said small / local business are now being drafted in to save / occupy this white elephant mall (presumably offered cheap rent) after some of their big name anchors like Macy's / Sears are pulling out.

JU_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-19, 07:41 AM   #21
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Uploads: 13

Well I'm going to be dragged off to a retail park approximately eight miles away this afternoon to assist the wife in choosing a wallpaper for one of the spare bedrooms (our fortcoming first granddaughters room actually).

Whilst I'm not thrilled about the idea I do admit I agree with her response to my initial comment 'why don't you just buy it online' to which she replied 'wallpaper is definitely something you should see first hand'.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-19, 07:31 PM   #22
Platapus
Fleet Admiral

As much as I rant about shopping locally. There is one thing I won't do concerning a local store.

That is going to a local store to look at something and perhaps ask questions and then go on-line to order it. I think that's a scummy thing to do.

If I got to a store and a miracle happens and I get good customer service, I will buy the product even when it costs more.