SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-18-15, 07:58 PM   #196
zeus
Lieutenant

Downloads: 953
Uploads: 0

Hey, How will the Project the megamod Day of Infamy?
zeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-15, 09:13 PM   #197
TorpX
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 153
Uploads: 11

Cap'n,

I feel a little guilty about this, but I want to throw out a couple ideas for your consideration. Feel free to just set them aside, if you don't have the time/energy to deal with them. I understand in a large project of this sort, you really can't do everything you want to do.

First, our views of the outside. With RFB, the periscope, normal, and 7x50 views are about the same, as far as brightness is concerned. Could they be changed so you have in ascending brightness?
1. attack scope - nearly useless at night

2. observation scope - better, but still limited on dark nights

3. naked eye - better at night

4. 7x50's - brightest view

Additionally, I was wondering if a node for a 'bow splash' or such could be attached to the periscopes? The idea is not so much to add eye-candy, but to create a visual obstruction, so you could not make good periscope observations, while rocketing along at 6 knots underwater. In other words, to simulate scope vibration of sorts.

Second idea:

It seems to me aircraft in the game are reasonably dangerous, but that they are a mostly random thing. In SHCE, some merchant convoys seemed to have dedicated air cover. In SH4, it seems like only carriers have this. Could a invisible, or virtual CV be put in some convoys to tie aircraft (land based?) to their convoys. This would make the usual practice of conducting an 'end-around' much harder, unless done at night. Of course, only a certain fraction of convoys would be protected this way.

Anyway good luck on your project, Cap'n.
TorpX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-15, 01:27 PM   #198
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

Your point on the difference in shading between the attack scope and observation scope is doable for night sight. A different transparency could be made for either.

The only issue I see that might detract is that during day light sighting the attack scope will look darker then the obs scope. There's no way I know of to make the transparency between the day time view different than the night time view. You can make the two scopes different from each other in light transparency, but this same difference would also be seen during the day.

The same can be said about the magnified view. As there is no ability to make a difference between day vs. night; there would be no way of producing a different light transparency for the magnified view vs. the normal scaled view. The game doesn't have a "controller" to allow such differences.

Your thought on a visual obstruction is a possible one too. Maybe there's some way of making the already implemented Wave Focus (the wavy visual you get when you first breach the surface) to work in regard to sub speed. I somewhat think this might fall in the same category as the Day vs. Night idea. Without a controller telling the game to implement the wave focus for different speeds.....there would be no way of getting it to work as expected.

As far as the aircraft are concerned following along convoys. This could be done IF you put aircraft on specific ships. If you wanted to, you could assign aircraft to specific ships (just as the game assigns aircraft to CV's and some BB's and CA's) and they would spring into action when an enemy ship was detected. I once had a test mission in the middle of the Atlantic, that had several Jap ships coming past my sub for testing radar. Following them by several miles was another convoy group made up of at least one American CV. My plan was to check the radar antenna as the first group went by, then surface as the friendlies passed. What surprised me was because I detected the Jap force, this alerted the American convoy somehow, and while testing my radar the Japs came under attack from the US carrier's planes, sinking a couple of them! The AI is very good in doing what is expected of it. You just need to assign the aircraft to a ship.

My only reservation would be, having a proper ship that would have had some historical capability of using planes for either search/combat reasons. Maybe a CL might have used a search plane, with a bomb load......that to me would be fine. But, a merchant or DD having one.....I'll have to do some research. If it was done historically, I'd say yep....let's do it. On another thought, there would be no reason not to assign a CL to a convoy (except for historical accuracy) which could have a plane fly combat onto the sub once it was detected. Why not stretch the historical accuracy a bit?

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-15, 03:52 AM   #199
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 2

Quote:
The only issue I see that might detract is that during day light sighting the attack scope will look darker then the obs scope. There's no way I know of to make the transparency between the day time view different than the night time view. You can make the two scopes different from each other in light transparency, but this same difference would also be seen during the day.
In the german side at least you can link a translucent TGA to the rig for red situation, which was originally conceived for the numbers in the graticle. But you can modify it to be a full cover over the whole view. No idea if that works on the US side.

Quote:
My only reservation would be, having a proper ship that would have had some historical capability of using planes for either search/combat reasons. Maybe a CL might have used a search plane, with a bomb load......that to me would be fine. But, a merchant or DD having one.....I'll have to do some research. If it was done historically, I'd say yep....let's do it. On another thought, there would be no reason not to assign a CL to a convoy (except for historical accuracy) which could have a plane fly combat onto the sub once it was detected. Why not stretch the historical accuracy a bit? 11-22-2015 03:13 AM
The allies for sure used catapult ships, i.e. ships modified to carry a Hurricane launche from the deck with a catapult to protect the convoy and recon. IIRC the pilot had to bail out later, so it was used only once. As for CL carrying airplanes, yes they had them for recon purposes but in general captains were reluctant to use them as the CL had to stop for a while to recover the plane with the crane, and it would be more vulnerable to torpedo attacks meanwhile. Hence it was only used in exceptional situations.
Old 11-26-15, 10:55 AM   #200
avers
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 586

hey guys, I haven't been here in a while, things comin along smooth with this mod?
avers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-15, 07:18 PM   #201
Berserker
Aggressive skipper

Downloads: 2166

Looking forward to this mod...Any updates for release??
Old 12-30-15, 05:06 PM   #202
pdiddy
Gunner

Downloads: 227

Capn, hope you and yours are well. I've just read some antagonistic posts here in the forums, but believe there is a silent (and appreciative) majority who appreciate all you've already contributed to the game.

Here's to a great 2016 for the SH4 community.
pdiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-15, 05:51 PM   #203
les green01
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 1375

happy New years capn looking forward to your mod i can't help you much but i can beta test if you need me to do that
Old 01-16-16, 11:55 AM   #204
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

How goes it Capn? Hope you're progressing well with Days of Infamy!
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-16, 12:46 PM   #205
avers
Seasoned Skipper

I hope this project hasn't been abandoned..... Capn?..... ar-... are you there? 😬
Old 03-06-16, 07:12 PM   #206
zeus
Lieutenant

Downloads: 953

news megamod????
zeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-16, 08:28 PM   #207
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Downloads: 305
Uploads: 1

Any news?

Head Deep and Keep'em Astern" - LtCDR Samuel D Dealy
SHIV Guide | Imperial Japanese Navy | US Submarines

cdrsubron7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-16, 08:24 PM   #208
Berserker
Aggressive skipper

Downloads: 2166

Do I hear the sound of a bugle playing taps in the back ground??
Old 03-11-16, 08:30 PM   #209
avers
Seasoned Skipper

I hope this project isn't abandoned, we need this mod #makesilenthunter4greatagain
Old 04-11-16, 05:48 PM   #210
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Downloads: 305
Uploads: 1

Just wonderin. Is this mod just on the back burner or has it died before it was born

Head Deep and Keep'em Astern" - LtCDR Samuel D Dealy
SHIV Guide | Imperial Japanese Navy | US Submarines

cdrsubron7 is offline   Reply With Quote