SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Modern-Era Subsims > Dangerous Waters > DW Mod Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-13-05, 03:38 PM   #16
PeriscopeDepth
Sea Lord

Downloads: 6
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivingWind
I'll rather wait for official patch.(for online play purposes)
You're more patient than I am.
PeriscopeDepth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-05, 04:04 PM   #17
Kapitan
Sub Test Pilot

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 7

yep and me

Find out about Museum Ships here: https://www.museumships.us/

Flickr for all my pictures: https://www.flickr.com/photos/131313936@N03/

Navy general board articles: https://www.navygeneralboard.com/author/aegis/
Kapitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-05, 04:25 PM   #18
jsteed
Watch

Downloads: 22

Hi Luftwolf & Amizaur,

Well done The two stage SS-N-27 is a very nice idea. Although I haven't played DW for some time now, (went back to SC because of active sonar bug), I congratulate you both on your efforts. Hopefully, you will continue to develop your db/doctrine mods.

cheers, jsteed
jsteed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-05, 09:17 PM   #19
LuftWolf
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 2

TLAM-- I'm glad you got it working. I hope you enjoy the MM fix as well, that is Amizaur's work, too. Given the complexity of the fixes, I think now that it deserved a special note in the readme that Amizaur did them. I will definately include that as a fix for myself in any subsequent versions. :|\

Thanks guys...

If you use it for MP, let us know what you think!

I wouldn't want to be in an FFG...
Old 08-13-05, 09:38 PM   #20
TLAM Strike
Navy Seal

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 6

Noticed another thing. SS-N-27s can be tracked in Stage 1 on sonar. They don't fade like a real launch transient.

Just seems strange...

TLAM Strike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-05, 10:05 PM   #21
LuftWolf
Ocean Warrior

TLAM

This is a direct consequence of the Missle Launch Sound fix. In the DB, all sublaunched missles have a 100 PSL. The TASM and the SS-N-27 (both I have tested and exhibit this phenomenon) are seaskimming missles, travelling over the water at around 30ft.

This entirely unintended, and a consequence of the DW sound physics engine.

You guys can tell me how it should be... I suppose this makes ASM much less attractive now. So I guess I should ask our sonar men: will a seaskimming missle leave a transient?

Edit: Well, I've pretty much figured out that objects travelling at sea-skimming level and little above are treated by the sound engine as being on the surface. This is unexpected and unwelcome, as the fix was the same as that applied to SCX, so I guess that means something has been changed and needs to be changed again. :hmm:

Edit Two: GRRRR..... Well, that didn't take long. SOME sonar sensors are set to have a detection capability at 300ft above sea-level, but not all.

I have to fix this, since the game isn't generally written where I'd want that to be the case. I want to email Amizaur and ask him about this, but I'm pretty sure I can go ahead with this.

Expect an updated version very soon, this should be a simple fix.

Thanks TLAM for bringing this up.
Old 08-14-05, 12:00 AM   #22
LuftWolf
Ocean Warrior

Ok, I believe I have resolved the problem. Previously, all playable hull sonars' max height were set to 0m (ok), but all the sphere and TA sonars were set to 300m. According to my understanding of array geometry, max-min shouldn't affect the operation of it in the cone.

So, I have changed all playable passive sonars to have max height of 10m and min height of -3000m. I found that if I set it to 0, then even in low seas contacts would not display correctly on the waterfall. I have changed the hull sonars as well, in order to be consistent. In addition, I have changed the sonar buoy parameters to match these as well, to eliminate the same skipping problem.

Everything seems to work and the seaskimmers don't show up on sonar anymore.

I and a few others need to play around with it a little bit more to be sure I haven't messed anything up. If anyone wants to look at the fix, send me a PM. :|\
Old 08-14-05, 02:19 AM   #23
Mercedes
Watch

Downloads: 0
Default Test 71

The test torpedos used by the Kilo's doesn't appear to respond to guidence input from the wire after the weapons mod. They still respond to enable/pre-enable and shutdown commands. As far as I can remember they originally had full capability in the unmodded version.

Correct me if i'm wrong on this one.
Mercedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-05, 04:17 AM   #24
LuftWolf
Ocean Warrior

Those torpedos have been unaffected by the mod. They can only be steered before they have enabled for the first time, if I remember correctly.
Old 08-14-05, 04:32 AM   #25
Mercedes
Watch

Downloads: 0

Thanks!
Mercedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-05, 09:44 AM   #26
Wim Libaers
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 4

I think the sonar sensitivity to air units was intended to be able to track ASW helicopters using the passive dipping sonar. Does that still work with the mod?
Wim Libaers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-05, 09:55 AM   #27
LuftWolf
Ocean Warrior

That actually never worked, as no air objects have Passive Sound Levels in the standard database.

Given the fact that the sound engine doesn't make a distinction that I can find between objects underwater and objects not underwater, within the detection max-min of the passive sonar senors, it doesn't seem likely that this feature can be included without significant reworking.

I suppose we could give helo's a low PSL (around 20-40), but then they would behave exactly like quiet underwater objects, and it would mean making the passive sonar heights higher, which would then present the same problem as before.

So, the basic problem here is that the game makes no distinction between water and air as far as passive-sonar detectable sound goes, as far as I can tell. The only way to work around this so as not to produce anything funny in gameplay that is significant, is to lower the max height of passive sonar, as the helo-sonar feature seems a bit more minor than the persistant missle transients or silent missle launches, especially because SCS didn't even make a serious attempt at including it.

PS. I'm feeling better and better about the sonar fix. I think I can send v1.01 to Bill this afternoon, but I'd like to hear back from Amizaur first.
Old 08-14-05, 02:09 PM   #28
LuftWolf
Ocean Warrior

Ok, I've sent v1.01 with the playable passive sonar fix to Bill.
Old 08-14-05, 03:03 PM   #29
Bill Nichols
Master of Defense

Downloads: 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuftWolf
Ok, I've sent v1.01 with the playable passive sonar fix to Bill.
It's up now.
Old 08-14-05, 04:14 PM   #30
LuftWolf
Ocean Warrior

Thanks Bill!

Here is the v1.01 addition to the readme, really just a rehashing...

V1.01

Playable Passive Sonar Parameters-BETA- All playable passive sonar arrays have changed to have a Maximum detection of height of 10m. Previously hull sonars and buoys had a Max of 0m
and sphere and towed arrays had a max of 300m. This caused any object with a passive
sound level to show up on sonar as if it were underwater, specifically seaskimming
missles whose sound levels were changed in this mod to simulate underwater missle
launch (Thank you TLAM Strike for finding this). I have not set the depths to 0m because this causes contacts to display inconsistently on the BB waterfall. I do
not believe that cone sensitivity is effected in any way by this fix within the
detection Max and and Mins, but there could be other issues I am not aware of. This
may be refined later, but it is necessary now to address persistent sea-skimming
missle transients.