SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Modern-Era Subsims > Dangerous Waters > DW Mod Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-19-15, 10:21 AM   #1
RyanR
Swabbie

Downloads: 2
Uploads: 0
Default Adding UAVs/UUV

Hey folks, I'm back to playing Dangerous Waters. Back when I was more regularly playing things like UAV's and UUV's weren't really a "thing" (Well they were but I didn't know about them). Anyways what would be the best way for someone who knows nothing about modeling add Sub Launched UAV's in?

I've tried to modify the American UUV to run faster and farther using the DBEditor, however I seem to be running out of fuel/power? Any thoughts on expanding its range?
RyanR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-15, 11:16 AM   #2
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default welcome aboard!

RyanR!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-15, 11:27 AM   #3
Mike Abberton
Electrician's Mate

Downloads: 42

The Reinforced Alert and LWAMI mods both made fairly significant changes to the UUVs in the game, so it is possible.

The UUV in LWAMI has a range of 17 nm at 6 knots and 2.7 nm at 20 knots. Range of the UUV in RA is 2.5 nm, slightly more than stock.

Both mods also make changes to the UUV sensors. LWAMI models the UUV as passive sonar only, and the RA mod has a HF active (i.e. mine hunting) sonar as well as a LF passive.

Hope that helps.

Mike
Mike Abberton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-15, 02:07 PM   #4
RyanR
Swabbie

It does. I know nothing about Submarine UUV's but I have to imagine that if a MK48 can go 26 nm at 40 knots (Per Wikipedia) than a UUV has to be better than 2.7 nm at 20 knots. I can change the Range and Speed in DWEdit however I still dies out at about 2.5 nm.
Old 11-20-15, 10:26 AM   #5
Mike Abberton
Electrician's Mate

The Mk48 uses a chemical fuel for propulsion. I am not sure if it uses the propulsion system to power the electronics or if there is a supplemental battery. It's designed to go fast to catch subs and the on-board sonar systems are likely somewhat limited since it's going so fast that flow noise would limit passive sensors anyways.

A UUV would probably do better with an electric propulsion system and a longer loiter time (an hour or more). Because it's more useful as a passive listener rather than a pinger, it can't go very fast and be useful. An electric system would also provide more on-board power for the UUV's electronics.

Unfortunately, due to a lower energy density of battery systems and probably higher on-board power requirements, the range/speed of a UUV would likely be lower (maybe much lower) than a contemporary chemical-fueled torpedo.

Mike
Old 11-20-15, 10:31 AM   #6
ikalugin
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 8

Especially considering the depths used - heat engines have better transportational capabilities than electric ones at depths less than 600m. Below 600m it is a whole other story, hence why USET80 has the electric drive (it was assumed that future Soviet and US submarines would operate below 600m and in case of pr.685 it was even true).
Old 11-20-15, 11:26 AM   #7
RyanR
Swabbie

Thanks for your advice. I did figure out how to make the modifications. I actually used the LWAMI UUV Doctrine in RA (Successfully) and had the thing going 10 kn for a range of 45 nm. It made for a fun mission of blasting a Kilo in the Persian Gulf with a SubRoc while I sat on the other side of the AUE. Although I use the word "over" loosely, I basically had the torpedo fly over Dubai for the kill

I was thinking about copying the TLAM and turning it into something like this:
https://www.rt.com/usa/drones-launch...submarine-785/

My thoughts were to adjust the speed, replace the warhead with sensors, and send updates via link. Not that I know how to do that at the present time. Not exactly correct but as it would essentially be a TLAM, prior to launch I could set way points and thus direct it to the general location. Maybe adjust the model and sound profile of it leaving the tubes as well.

Last edited by RyanR; 11-20-15 at 01:24 PM.
Old 11-20-15, 11:55 AM   #8
RyanR
Swabbie

From quick research I've found that a UUV capable of 4-5 kn, with the ability to run for 24 hours, and advanced detection and classification ability is a real possibility. Thus I'll probably tone the speed of mine down to 5 kn while extending the range to 120 nm (24 hour run time).

Adding some sources to the discussion:

http://auvac.org/platforms/view/148
http://www.militaryaerospace.com/art...k-pearl-r.html
http://www.navaldrones.com/knifefish.html
Old 11-20-15, 02:27 PM   #9
Mike Abberton
Electrician's Mate

Sounds good. Glad I could help

Mike
Old 11-26-15, 11:13 AM   #10
RyanR
Swabbie

So I'm back at it - I have successfully modified the TASM to act like a drone, except I can only shoot it in one direction (using snapshot). Does anyone have any idea on how to make it navigate by way points?