SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Modern-Era Subsims > Dangerous Waters > DW Mod Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-15-16, 04:20 AM   #1
Stewy1
Girt by Sea

Downloads: 130
Uploads: 32

Default Adding BB sounds to floating objects?

Hi guys,

I know this has been covered before- I think I actually asked the question (but can't find the answer)

I did this before - by adding Killer Whale BBs sounds to the Killer Whale 'model' - (sounds great on BB!) I'm now not sure how to this again.

I've repainted the 'Red 4' buoy into a yellow ODAS buoy - for some remote Atlantic missions - and got that working!

I then found a great 'buoy bell' sound off the net - and have managed to get it working with the 'ambient' sound - but I can't work out how to hear it on a sub's sonar.

Could you tell me (again) please how to do it? I'm sure it's a basic DWEdit/file naming issue - but I can't crack it.

Cheers guys
Stew
Stewy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-17, 07:31 AM   #2
Nippelspanner
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

I'm not sure but did you add the sound also to The interface .Agg of every platform? They have BB sounds in them, so I think to even hear an object, it's BB sound needs to be inside the platforms interface agg as well. Just a suspicion, never fondled with that.

And share your buoy!
Old 03-04-17, 12:52 AM   #3
Stewy1
Girt by Sea

Thanks for the info mate.

I lost the repainted buoy when I had to do a reinstall of DW - but I'll try and get it in-game again!

Stew
Old 06-01-17, 06:54 AM   #4
Wildcat
Engineer

Downloads: 69
Uploads: 0

Stewy, let me know if you'd like to collaborate on a sound mod.

I've grown tired of the awful, awful sounds in DW and am planning a huge overhaul. For a game where sound is the most important means of detection, I can't understand why they used such poor quality sound clips and spent so little time making good sounds. Disappointing. Same sounds were present in Fleet Command and Sub Command too.

Anyway, I'll post a thread about my mod a little later. I have changed a fair number of sounds for my personal copy already, but there's a lot more to go before I'd like to release it as a mod.

I intend to overhaul the experience with stuff like BB sounds from ice floes, more biologics, completely renewed surface and sub sounds, new interface switch/button sounds, active sonar pings, etc. A new crew voice set would be nice but probably is not in the cards at the moment.
Wildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-17, 07:10 AM   #5
Nippelspanner
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat View Post
Stewy, let me know if you'd like to collaborate on a sound mod.

I've grown tired of the awful, awful sounds in DW and am planning a huge overhaul. For a game where sound is the most important means of detection, I can't understand why they used such poor quality sound clips and spent so little time making good sounds. Disappointing. Same sounds were present in Fleet Command and Sub Command too.

Anyway, I'll post a thread about my mod a little later. I have changed a fair number of sounds for my personal copy already, but there's a lot more to go before I'd like to release it as a mod.

I intend to overhaul the experience with stuff like BB sounds from ice floes, more biologics, completely renewed surface and sub sounds, new interface switch/button sounds, active sonar pings, etc. A new crew voice set would be nice but probably is not in the cards at the moment.
Is this an open offer, or for Stewy exclusively?
I made my own sound mod as well for an older RA version. Unfortunately I didn't realize that the scsedit tool corrupts the files, adding these annoying cracks, so all my work was... well, destroyed.

I exchanged nearly everything, especially 3D sounds and interface, as well as mechanical stuff like extending wires, masts, periscopes... it's all too loud and cranky in vanilla, I think. But as I said, it's gone.

However, DW won't die for me soon, so I'd be interested in helping - if I can.
Old 06-01-17, 08:39 AM   #6
Wildcat
Engineer

I'm definitely open to help from anyone. Especially interested in hearing the sounds you've created so far, as well as knowing your sources for original sounds. Feel free to PM me about that if you like, I think some of that info may be sensitive especially for military platforms.

Would also like input from former sonar guys and just submariners / ASW people in general regarding accuracy of sounds. I'm sure a lot of info is classified but I would like to make the sounds more accurately match up with the narrowband sonar profiles. I think Sonalysts deliberately fudged this aspect of the sim due to "Top Secret" stuff.

There are some things I plan to ask the RA developers to help with as well, as far as I know certain aspects of the sound engine are hard coded but can likely be changed easily with a bit of work on the dll's or exe. I do not want to start on my own exe modding project if RA's team can work with me on this. One dream I have would be 44k stereo sounds, but I am not sure this is possible without original source code to modify the sound engine. In a previous life though, I was able to modify an old flight simulator from the low quality 11 or 22k mono up to 44k stereo. Might be a possibility.

I struggled with popping and clicking too until I realized that wavs which loop perfectly in the editor are truncated in the sim, so they need to be created in a way that the sim loops the wav at the right point. It's been a while since I did loop work but I remember I managed to overcome it. This was critical for the aircraft where the loop sounds were just horrible.

Ideally I'd like to get this sound mod put into the RA base package at some point in the future, and I also intend to make an offer to help the RA team get the USNI and documentation and mission text translated into correct and easy to read English. This is still a bit far off though, there is a lot of work to be done, but a major sound overhaul is loooong overdue in this sim.
Old 06-01-17, 11:13 AM   #7
Wildcat
Engineer

After writing the above post I had an epiphany. Something very simple to do, but I had given up on it due to a database error or perhaps a mistake I made in the past. I didn't think that method could be used, but it can. A simple database edit with some additional files created using the correct prefix enables completely customizable sounds.

Look forward to new sounds for every kind of unit available in the game in the future. Every single unit in the game has a customizable sound option. As long as the correct files are in the correct place with the correct name, it works. I've created dozens of new (invisible for now) biologic objects that can be placed in missions. They produce BB sounds. Aircraft sounds have been fixed. Heavy jets sound like heavy jets, each helicopter and aircraft sounds like its real life version now, no more generic sounds.

I had previously thought this was a hardcoded limitation. It's not. Major breakthrough for me today on this one. If the DB hadn't crashed on me years ago, this would have been completed in 2007 or 2008.
Old 06-02-17, 05:15 AM   #8
Stewy1
Girt by Sea

Hi everyone,

Sorry I'm a bit late to the party - but this all sounds very interesting!

I (like most people, it seems) have made some custom sounds. I mainly use them for triggers - I've recorded (and converted) from YouTube sounds of subs leaving port, ships' horns and sirens, 'battle stations, missile', underwater grenades for counter-detection, etc.

I've also downloaded and 'cut up' the various Chinese radio transmissions from the P-8 FONOPS missions over the South China Sea ("This is Chinese Navy, you go, now!") It'd make for a cool mission, but I haven't had time to make it!

I also downloaded the YouTube recorded sounds of Ice (very noisy) - but haven't yet got them in game. I'd love to do a mission under the ice where sonar is affected by the noisy crunching of ice!

Setting up a mission where you can 'hear' that a helo or turbo-prop has flown over you would be cool too!

I personally wouldn't be keen on a 'full' replacement of sounds - but it'd be great if people could 'pick and choose' which sounds to replace.

Thanks guys, let me know how things develop and if I can help,
Stew

Last edited by Stewy1; 06-02-17 at 05:29 AM.