SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-24-09, 04:37 PM   #46
Chinese U-47
Ensign

Downloads: 19
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabretwo
Chinese U-47 & lord,

You guys rock! I lost a lot of sleep last night replaying the Second Battle of Narvik (in campaign) in a Type 34, trying different tactics each time. All three times I went to the bottom, but what a rush. (I’m still trying to get a sense of how much damage is too much before I need to disengage and head for safe seas).

All three times it was raining and foggy by the time the battle happened. Lack of visibility created some challenges but also had some benefits. Using the radar, I was able to navigate around the main force, engaging individual destroyers in one-on-one combat. Unfortunately, with the fog, I often was right up on a destroyer before my crew spotted it and began engaging. If you’re moving too fast, you can easily find yourself broad siding big guns at point blank range. Nasty stuff!

The last time, I anchored on the south side of Vestfiord while waiting. When I saw the enemy task force enter the west side of the fiord on radar, I held my position until the German task force approached from the east. Once they were about three or four kilometers apart, I began skirting the southwest end of the fiord behind the enemy force. I then engaged several destroyers in the rear and on the south flank one-by-one. On one occasion, a DD and I found ourselves unintentionally playing chicken (we were weaving back and forth trying to avoid each other, but ended up on a zig-zag path right into one another). I ended up ramming and going over his stern. (I have the RCB effects mod activated--you should have seen the fireworks show, bodies flying, etc!)

Having sustained quite a bit of damage and unsure of how much I can take, I headed north as the enemy task force continued east-by-southeast trying to evade contact. By this time, the radar contacts are spread all around. The British task force had disintegrated in the fog and by being attacked on two sides. I could no longer tell what contacts were enemy versus friendly.

I was now skirting eastward along the north side of the fiord, trying to get back to Narvik, when I spotted a slow-moving ship burning in the near distance. Seeing a possible opportunity to finish off a weakened enemy, I approached fairly slow (about 8 knots), and then saw the distinctive silhouette of a battleship, HMS Warspite, burning through the fog. Unfortunately, I forgot to tell my gunners to cease fire and they opened up on the battleship, drawing very nasty attention to us. We quickly headed north at flank speed trying to avoid those big guns and the various radar contacts now heading in our direction.

We were moving fast, around 30 knots. By the time I noticed that we were heading dead into the path of an eastbound radar contact, my gunners were blasting away on a vessel. The vessel didn’t shoot back. Realizing that it was probably friendly, by the time I could turn off fire at will it was too late. I had mortally crippled a friendly Type 34. I watched it slowly drifting off, secondary explosions erupting, as it sank into the deep.

My initial impulse was to abandon the attack and head to port. I know we had sustained a lot of damage by this point. But the temptation was too much…a damaged, slow moving battleship. I circled around and plotted an interception course for a torpedo attack. By this time he was zigzagging, but slowly (less than 6 or 7 knots). I could see him burning in the distance. I slowed to a crawl and sat in wait, hoping the other DDs moving around wouldn’t find me first. Just as I saw him emerging from the fog, with less than 700 meters distance, I ordered my weapons officer to plot a solution. Tube One, fire. Tube Two, fire. Tube Three, fire. Tube Four, fire.

Just as I had fired off the fourth torpedo, he opened up. I quickly ordered flank, full right rudder trying to get out of there fast. Looking up, I saw the trails of the T-1s on their way dead for him. His big guns now illuminated the fog. We had just cleared his stern heading west at flank speed when the impacts started. Two hits out of four torpedoes.

If I could reach the west end of the fiord we could lay in wait for her to go down. I had just thought we made it clear, the battleship was starting to disappear in the fog, when a series of powerful explosions erupted on the rear of our bridge. My last view before the death screen was quickly turning around on the bridge and seeing an explosion, projected debris, and a man fly overboard.

That last battle took almost 90 minutes from the time the British task force entered the fiord.
Not such a easy thing for me to read this great battle,but,you really did a great work! I should say:you are a brave commander!You have tried your best
In China a player try to fight this battle with Type 34 too,and unblieveable,he sunk Br BB with his 127mm gun,with all of his ammunition.And then,Br DDs found and sunk him soon.
In fact,I think destroyer is a good choice for players like U-Boat.It's not invincible(you maybe sunk by a enemy destroyer too),but it's also powerful and nimble.
Not like battleships,in stock you may soon found that you are invincible,no one could beat you I don't like that feeling.
But at last,most of players like BB/BC,or at least CA,hardy someone use DD...
Old 02-24-09, 05:03 PM   #47
Chinese U-47
Ensign

Quote:
SOME TIPS FOR GAME PLAY:

1. Keep a close eye on your damage. If you’re using SH3 Commander, check your F7 screen for hull integrity after every engagement. (I didn’t have SH3 Commander activated during the last battle) If you reach less than 40%, head for port. Too risky.

2. If you start receiving damage reports fast when being hit, flank speed out of there now!

3. When engaging superior numbers, try to isolate the enemy. At least in a Type 34 or 36, you have superior firepower to many of the British DDs. However, you’re asking for trouble by engaging more than one at a time.

4. Watch your speed when approaching for attack. Its very easy to come in too fast. Ideal engagement distance seems to be about 2000-2500 meters in clear weather. At that distance, my gunnery seems to be more accurate than theirs. Come in too fast and you can easily end up less than 1000 meters before you can effectively flank left or right. At that range, their gunnery is much more accurate.

5. If you use manual targeting, use your weapons officer to plot torpedo solutions if in battle. In battle with warships, there’s often too much going on around you (and happening quickly) to get a good manual solution. Take your eye off the radar and binos too long and you’re dead.

6. Use unlimited fuel settings. I like generally like realistic game play, and use limited fuel, but the fuel settings for the modded warships are not accurate. I barely made it to Narvik from Wilhelmshaven with less than a quarter tank of fuel left.

7. If you are around neutrals or friendlies, be sure to turn off fire at will once you're done engeging an enemy vessel. I have had several accidents now as a result of this. (Man, a keyboard shortcut or quickly accessible button in the GUI would be very useful in this regard.)

8. Play with RCB’s effects mod. It seems fully compatible and gives some great effects. Surface warfare lends itself much more to those violent explosions, flying debris, and secondary effects. I wasn’t a fan of this mod when playing subs. But for surface warfare, its great! It really seems to contribute to the chaos and violence of surface fighting.

SOME IDEAS FOR THE MODDERS:

1. High res warship skins. The warship skins included with the mod are great, but I think skins with higher resolution would look much better. Plus, texture the area around the bridge with a bit more detail. Players spend a lot of time on the bridge and right now it looks rather simple and untextured.

2. The player ships feel somewhat overpowered compared to the British DDs. I use AI for gunnery and I seem to be much more accurate in general than the enemy. Decrease the reload times also if possible. I’m sure that the 150mms are reloading faster than 7 or 8 per minute.

3. Increase the fuel range a bit….maybe another 50-100% (accounting for SH3’s map-distance issues). At 15 knots (optimal speed in the game) I barely made it 3,000 km.
Umm,I finally finish reading your long adv.Well,they are good adv,no mattle for players or me.I hope if you can help new ones who play this mod.
About your adv to me,
1,reasonable,I'll try to do this soon(oh,by the way,Bismarck and Tirpitz's skin would be nice,they are morn than 8M!).
2,the datas of guns are the same as AI-guns,and,in fact,I made Br DD's guns,too,you can try to use 114mmDoubleTDG(copy this name) instead of your 127mm gun in basic.cfg,and then you can have feeling of Br DD.
Br guns are all very slow,at least they are really very slow in game.I test all guns in mod,I think US 127mm double gun is the best gun(for DD),and most of Br guns are really poor.
3, this...
Old 02-24-09, 05:09 PM   #48
Chinese U-47
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAKE
Thanks for this Chinese U-47 this is a great mod now i'm more than happy to see a British destroyer. Finally the wheel has turned for the Royal navy lol
Take care!Tribal and J are seriously danger to you!Even 1936A(MOB) may also be defeat by them!
My Chinese friends who command DD fear them most.
Old 02-24-09, 05:14 PM   #49
Chinese U-47
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by variellone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinese U-47
OK,first,I'm sorry for
Now,I give you my Warship Mod V2.0 German Part 3(destroyers part).
Destroyer part(for players who like destroyers more than capital ships):
IXD2=1936A(MOB)
IXC=Z-28
IXB=1934
VIIC=TB1924
VIIB=Flottenbegleiter
IID=TB1937
IIA=S-Boat

The rest 2 parts are:
Part1:
XXI=Dithmarschen
IXD2=Bismarck
IXC=Deutschland
IXB=Hipper
VIIC=Commerce Raider
VIIB=Z-28
IID=TB1937
IIA=MS1935

Part2:
XXI=Seydlitz
IXD2=Tirpitz
IXC=Scharnhorst
IXB=Luetzow
VIIC=Konigsberg
VIIB=1936A(MOB)
IID=Sperrbrecher
IIA=Vorpostenboot

OK,you can download it now:
For GWX3.0:http://files.filefront.com/WSM20GeDe.../fileinfo.html
For SH3V1.4:http://files.filefront.com/WSM20GeDe.../fileinfo.html
429 photos of WSM2.0(battleships,battle curisers and so on):http://files.filefront.com/Prar/;133.../fileinfo.html

Can you please tell me if only the destroyers version is available or if the other 2 parts (with big ships like the Bismarck and so on) have been released by Chinese U47?
If so, can you please post (again) the link to the other versions of the mod (the ones with big ships) ?

THANKS!!!!!!!!!!
Well,you were supposed to have the rest 3 parts(GermanI/II/III and Italy) now,but,unfortunately ,I'm here in net bar ready to upload it,the filefront doesn't work It seems you could just wait untill tomorrow night
Old 02-24-09, 05:24 PM   #50
Chinese U-47
Ensign

OK,filefront works now,so,just wait for 1 hour more.
Old 02-24-09, 09:51 PM   #51
sabretwo
Frogman

Downloads: 69

Quote:

Umm,I finally finish reading your long adv.Well,they are good adv,no mattle for players or me.I hope if you can help new ones who play this mod.
About your adv to me,
1,reasonable,I'll try to do this soon(oh,by the way,Bismarck and Tirpitz's skin would be nice,they are morn than 8M!).
2,the datas of guns are the same as AI-guns,and,in fact,I made Br DD's guns,too,you can try to use 114mmDoubleTDG(copy this name) instead of your 127mm gun in basic.cfg,and then you can have feeling of Br DD.
Br guns are all very slow,at least they are really very slow in game.I test all guns in mod,I think US 127mm double gun is the best gun(for DD),and most of Br guns are really poor.
3, this...
Sounds great. Truly excellent work! Two more things...

1. I noticed that the stormy weather values on your submarine file for the Type 1936A (IXD2) haven't been modified. If the weather gets rocky at all, the guns won't fire. (All the other files have been changed. I think this was somehow missed on the Type 1936A.)

2. If you do a custom GUI, think about adding some quickly accessible buttons for ordering crew to man guns, fire at will, and hold fire. Also, for those who like to manually plot solutions, it would be VERY useful to have the TDC controls available on the UZO screen. I'd also dim down the UZO graphics a bit, like in OLC. Another OLC item is the range-finding reticle in the UZO screen. It would be very useful to be able to estimate range on targets from the UZO.

Keep up the good work!
sabretwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-09, 12:43 PM   #52
Ugene
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 0

First of all, many thanks for this great mod. I already loved the DDs but the battleship are realy fantastic.

Unfortunatly, I have a problem when playing as Scharnhorst.
The controllable turret is a little too small and too high and also the AI-turrets do not fire at the enemy.
I've tried an installation with JSGME and one without but nothing works.

Ugene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-09, 05:26 PM   #53
Drunken_Sailor
Swabbie

Downloads: 44

Hi Chinese U-47

Your mod is great . I chose Lutzow Heavy Cruiser and I started campaign in October 1940. I sailed on the Irish Sea and the second day I sank 87000 BRT - I came across the convoy . All ships were destroyed.

I still have one question. In the "clean" SH3 version I have sometimes random contacts on the map, but after the installation of your mod I haven't them. Is it possible somehow to include it?

And another small matter: in my opinion big warships should have the larger supply of cartridges for 37mm and 20mm cannons - 4000 it too little. After a few air-raids I am defenceless .

Regards
Drunken_Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-09, 09:36 PM   #54
Chinese U-47
Ensign

Quote:
Quote:

About your adv to me,
3, this...
Sounds great. Truly excellent work! Two more things...

1. I noticed that the stormy weather values on your submarine file for the Type 1936A (IXD2) haven't been modified. If the weather gets rocky at all, the guns won't fire. (All the other files have been changed. I think this was somehow missed on the Type 1936A.)

2. If you do a custom GUI, think about adding some quickly accessible buttons for ordering crew to man guns, fire at will, and hold fire. Also, for those who like to manually plot solutions, it would be VERY useful to have the TDC controls available on the UZO screen. I'd also dim down the UZO graphics a bit, like in OLC. Another OLC item is the range-finding reticle in the UZO screen. It would be very useful to be able to estimate range on targets from the UZO.

Keep up the good work!
Umm,you always give me useful adv.
1,it's ture that I forget to change 36A's cfg.And I have fixed it now,you can download the new version.
2,I'll study this later,as it seems it's more important to build more ships(I just finished Furutaka yesterday night).

Old 02-25-09, 09:42 PM   #55
Chinese U-47
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugene
First of all, many thanks for this great mod. I already loved the DDs but the battleship are realy fantastic.

Unfortunatly, I have a problem when playing as Scharnhorst.
The controllable turret is a little too small and too high and also the AI-turrets do not fire at the enemy.
I've tried an installation with JSGME and one without but nothing works.

I think your problem is because you havn't install "IXB&IXC&IXD2" or "IXC&IXD2" in JSGME after you install a warship part.So my adv is that you'd better check it again.
Old 02-25-09, 09:50 PM   #56
Chinese U-47
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken_Sailor
Hi Chinese U-47

Your mod is great . I chose Lutzow Heavy Cruiser and I started campaign in October 1940. I sailed on the Irish Sea and the second day I sank 87000 BRT - I came across the convoy . All ships were destroyed.

I still have one question. In the "clean" SH3 version I have sometimes random contacts on the map, but after the installation of your mod I haven't them. Is it possible somehow to include it?

And another small matter: in my opinion big warships should have the larger supply of cartridges for 37mm and 20mm cannons - 4000 it too little. After a few air-raids I am defenceless .

Regards
1st,haha,good to see your hunting next time you should find a task force.
2nd,that's because in warship the radio is damaged,so you get no radio to use.I'm still working on this problem.
3rd,in my WSM V1.0 every 37mm gun have 16000 ammo...and after I check the history datas I found that in really German warship every 37mm gun just have about 4000 ammo(someone even said they just have 2000).

Well,post some of your photos in battle to my E-mail,OK?I'm very instering to see them.
Old 02-26-09, 03:15 AM   #57
variellone
Seaman

Chinese U47,

are you still working on the GWX 3.0 version of your wonderful mod?

I need that GWX 3.0 compatible Bismarck!

Thanks for your hard work, Kaleun
variellone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-09, 01:02 PM   #58
rome8800
Seaman

This should be stickied, its one of a kind as far as I know!
Old 02-26-09, 01:38 PM   #59
makman94
Hellas

Downloads: 182
Uploads: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rome8800
This should be stickied, its one of a kind as far as I know!
no sticked. i am impressed also with u-47's abilities and gongratulate him for his mod.
BUT sh3 is a sub simulator and this mod make sh3 a simple arcade game.i mean that i don't see the point of traveling around with a destroyer and sink everything i meet.maybe there is the need of a real destroyer simulator to be developed . till then...
makman94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-09, 02:04 PM   #60
Drunken_Sailor
Swabbie

Downloads: 44

Hi Chinese U-47

Unfortunately I didn't do screenshots, but I can show entries from the captain's deck diary from SH3 Commander. On the first patrol which lasted only 2 days I sank 21 ships (18 Merchants / 3 Warships), sum of all ships = 87128 BRT. On second which one day lasted longer I sank 30 ships (23 / 7) - 101846 BRT.

1st patrol (I have the polish version SH3 therefore there is a Polish-English mix)

2nd patrol

There was nothing interesting to watching. Both convoys were defended only by 2 destroyers. It was a massacre.

I still noticed one thing - enemy warships shots too high, even from the distance smaller than 1000m they aren't hitting me. Because of that the game is much too simple.

Regards

Last edited by Drunken_Sailor; 02-26-09 at 03:00 PM.
Drunken_Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote