SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-21-15, 08:39 PM   #1
3catcircus
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 247
Uploads: 0
Default GWX3 + MFM V3.2 + Wilhelmshaven V7 + Combined Skin Pack?

I'm trying to figure out how I can make this combination work.

I've got GWX 3.0 installed, along with the Merchant Fleet Mod V3.2.

I noticed that the GWX3 Wilhelmshaven, St. Nazaire, Schleuse + Extra Ships V7 appears to have the exact same info for the T09A and T13A as MFM does, but I don't know if the other ships in here are also present in the MFM. I noticed that I had to install MFM first if I wanted to start in port (if MFM was installed after this, regardless of the setting in SH3 Commander, it always started me in the mouth of the harbor as if I had selected to start at sea). So - should I disable all of the new ships in this mod so that they don't overwrite anything from the MFM mod or are they different?

I have the GWX Combined Skin Pack but have read varying accounts (it works with GWX3, it doesn't work, delete the .dat files, etc.). What I'd like to do is use the skins for everything except merchants (and use the MFM skin packs for those instead). Unfortunately, I'm not sure which entries are merchants and which aren't. Will this work, and if so, where can I find out which entries in the Combined Skin Pack are for merchants, so I can remove them before activating the mod?
3catcircus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-15, 11:05 PM   #2
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3catcircus View Post
I noticed that the GWX3 Wilhelmshaven, St. Nazaire, Schleuse + Extra Ships V7 appears to have the exact same info for the T09A and T13A as MFM does, but I don't know if the other ships in here are also present in the MFM.
No. those a couple of early versions. You should install MFM after the St. Naz mod.

Quote:
I noticed that I had to install MFM first if I wanted to start in port (if MFM was installed after this, regardless of the setting in SH3 Commander, it always started me in the mouth of the harbor as if I had selected to start at sea). So - should I disable all of the new ships in this mod so that they don't overwrite anything from the MFM mod or are they different?
I'm not sure what the problem is, but it's not that. I have MFM installed way down my mods list - almost last, in fact - and I always start at dockside with no problems. I think I did remove all ships that also appear in MFM, but I think there are only a couple. You can spot them easily enough because they are the only ones that have alpha-numeric codes instead of names.

Quote:
I have the GWX Combined Skin Pack but have read varying accounts (it works with GWX3, it doesn't work, delete the .dat files, etc.). What I'd like to do is use the skins for everything except merchants (and use the MFM skin packs for those instead). Unfortunately, I'm not sure which entries are merchants and which aren't. Will this work, and if so, where can I find out which entries in the Combined Skin Pack are for merchants, so I can remove them before activating the mod?
I don't use any of the GWX extras that come with the supermod. All the mods I use - and there are a lot - come from outside GWX.
Old 05-22-15, 04:36 PM   #3
3catcircus
Grey Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post
No. those a couple of early versions. You should install MFM after the St. Naz mod.

I'm not sure what the problem is, but it's not that. I have MFM installed way down my mods list - almost last, in fact - and I always start at dockside with no problems. I think I did remove all ships that also appear in MFM, but I think there are only a couple. You can spot them easily enough because they are the only ones that have alpha-numeric codes instead of names.
So - if I just delete the entries for the T09A and T13A in the Wilhelmshaven mod (and barring somehow finding out why I needed to install MFM first), I should be good? The other ones remaining all have folder names like AAAB1, M35Hansa, NPKDF, etc.

Quote:
I don't use any of the GWX extras that come with the supermod. All the mods I use - and there are a lot - come from outside GWX.
So - are there any of them that add date-based skins to warships (or does GWX do that on its own already?)

Also - are there any mods that add date-based and/or theater-based changes to U-boat skins, such as different camouflage patterns?
Old 05-22-15, 06:32 PM   #4
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
So - if I just delete the entries for the T09A and T13A in the Wilhelmshaven mod (and barring somehow finding out why I needed to install MFM first), I should be good?
You should be. One thing you can do is rather than delete the GWX entries create a new folder in a separate spot and move them there. That way if anything goes wrong you can always move them back.

Quote:
The other ones remaining all have folder names like AAAB1, M35Hansa, NPKDF, etc.
That's correct.

Quote:
So - are there any of them that add date-based skins to warships (or does GWX do that on its own already?)
I don't think GWX does that. I also don't think most of the skins do it either. It's pretty easy to do yourself though. Download the skin you want. It should already be in the folder path Data/Textures/TNormal/Tex. Place into SH3 Commander's 'Date' folder, and inside whatever date folder you want it to appear. If you want a different start date for that skin just make a new folder. As long as it has the proper date-name (for example if you want a February 15th, 1942 start date the folder's title should be '19420215') there should be no problem.

Quote:
Also - are there any mods that add date-based and/or theater-based changes to U-boat skins, such as different camouflage patterns?
Again, there are many U-boat skins available, but I don't think any of them have a date-based folder path for Commander. There is no way for the mod's creator to know what date you would want it to start.

I personally don't use the date folder for my own U-boat skins. I like to pick one and install it between patrols.
Old 05-25-15, 10:06 AM   #5
Wreford-Brown
Sea Lord

Downloads: 51
Uploads: 26

Quote:
I don't think GWX does that. I also don't think most of the skins do it either. It's pretty easy to do yourself though. Download the skin you want. It should already be in the folder path Data/Textures/TNormal/Tex. Place into SH3 Commander's 'Date' folder, and inside whatever date folder you want it to appear. If you want a different start date for that skin just make a new folder. As long as it has the proper date-name (for example if you want a February 15th, 1942 start date the folder's title should be '19420215') there should be no problem.

Again, there are many U-boat skins available, but I don't think any of them have a date-based folder path for Commander. There is no way for the mod's creator to know what date you would want it to start.
Sailor Steve is absolutely right - GWX doesn't add skins by date and I haven't seen a u-boat skin mod that does either.

Since I started using MFM I've been using an SH3 Commander mod which adds MFM skins on the dates recommended by IABL. The mod is at this link and you should be able to plagiarise it to add u-boat skins on the dates you want them. There's also a way to randomise the files so if you have a large number of u-boat skins and can't decide which one you want you can get a random skin each time.

All my mods are available at MediaFire:
SH3 Mods
Other modders SH3 mods
SH4 Mods
...you can't please all of the people all of the time...
Wreford-Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-15, 12:56 PM   #6
3catcircus
Grey Wolf

Quote:
You should be. One thing you can do is rather than delete the GWX entries create a new folder in a separate spot and move them there. That way if anything goes wrong you can always move them back.

That's correct.

I personally don't use the date folder for my own U-boat skins. I like to pick one and install it between patrols.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wreford-Brown View Post
Sailor Steve is absolutely right - GWX doesn't add skins by date and I haven't seen a u-boat skin mod that does either.

Since I started using MFM I've been using an SH3 Commander mod which adds MFM skins on the dates recommended by IABL. The mod is at this link and you should be able to plagiarise it to add u-boat skins on the dates you want them. There's also a way to randomise the files so if you have a large number of u-boat skins and can't decide which one you want you can get a random skin each time.
Thanks guys!

I thought about it some more and came to the realization that what I was looking for isn't a "your u-boat is painted in this scheme at this point in time" so much as a "it was pristine when you started your patrol and by the end of it, you've got patches of rust and it is dirty with a noticeable weedline."
Old 05-25-15, 02:39 PM   #7
Wreford-Brown
Sea Lord

Downloads: 51
Uploads: 26

Quote:
Thanks guys!

I thought about it some more and came to the realization that what I was looking for isn't a "your u-boat is painted in this scheme at this point in time" so much as a "it was pristine when you started your patrol and by the end of it, you've got patches of rust and it is dirty with a noticeable weedline."

A degredation mod would be a great idea but I think it's beyond the reach of the SH3 engine. We can keep hoping...

All my mods are available at MediaFire:
SH3 Mods
Other modders SH3 mods
SH4 Mods
...you can't please all of the people all of the time...
Wreford-Brown is offline   Reply With Quote