Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-15-06, 08:56 AM   #1
VCDH
Swabbie

Downloads: 11
Uploads: 0
Harpoon III Advanced Naval Warfare Released

Good morning,

Harpoon III Advanced Naval Warfare is now available for purchase (download only at the moment) at the Matrix Games website.

Full Press Release Here

Happy Harpooning

Later
D

"Men have died. Boys. Eighteen year old conscripts. I blew them away and burned them alive. Oh well, it's what I do."

Lt. JG Justin 'Sleaze' Olson
'The Sixth Battle' by Barrett Tillman
VCDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-06, 06:58 PM   #2
Captain Norman
Medic

Downloads: 16

Ive never played Harpoon before, but it looks cool. Is it like Fleet Command?
Old 06-15-06, 10:43 PM   #3
VCDH
Swabbie

Downloads: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Norman
Ive never played Harpoon before, but it looks cool. Is it like Fleet Command?
No it's not....it's graphics are quite opposite to that of Fleet Command. You can check out some screen shots HERE (check out the bottom of the page).

Later
D

"Men have died. Boys. Eighteen year old conscripts. I blew them away and burned them alive. Oh well, it's what I do."

Lt. JG Justin 'Sleaze' Olson
'The Sixth Battle' by Barrett Tillman
VCDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-06, 02:15 AM   #4
SixBravo
Nub

Downloads: 0
Default He's Right....

Yeah Harpoon really isn't anything like Fleet Command. Same niche, but two totally different games. If you like running sensors, taking full control of the "hunt," and any kind of graphics/eye candy - stick to Fleet Command.

Harpoon is the nitty-gritty of naval sims. It's the bare-bones, hardcore, no-frills naval combat. You can only control what sensors are activated, not how. As well, you have complete control over the warships in front of you. Want a flight of B-52s to level Moscow? Order them out of Spokane and plot their waypoints. Want your 37 FFG's to sink the star of "Free Willy?" With a few clicks you can. Harpoon is an overall command "Admirals-Eye-View" of the battle. As you can see from the screens, it retains its classical "Windows 3.1" style of presentation, which works well. You can load up HUUUUUUUGE scenarios and it won't cause your system to chug. I believe at one point that I saw the "Hunt for Red October" scenario floating around for H2 (multiple SAGs on each side if I am remember it right).

I would expect you have to be pretty into sea combat to like Harpoon. I'm not sure though, since I bought Harpoon 2 back when it first came out and it hasn't left my hard drive. I even lost my copy after a format and had to re-download. haha I love the game and the "nuclear option" always leaves an interesting twist to it. I used to play it on AOL (way back when games on there were free) against other players and it was prolly one of the best MP games I've ever played. IF you can get a MP session going, the height of some of those battles will give you the same kind of action and quick rush you get from on-line dogfighting in LOMAC (Lock-On) or a slug-fest MP ambush in Steel Beasts.

Yeah??! Well my torpedo has a longer range!
SixBravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-06, 02:55 AM   #5
Herman
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 269
Uploads: 1046

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixBravo
You can load up HUUUUUUUGE scenarios and it won't cause your system to chug. I believe at one point that I saw the "Hunt for Red October" scenario floating around for H2 (multiple SAGs on each side if I am remember it right).
Scenarios of that size are still around. The Biggest one EVER created was made for the PlayersDB and it is called Axis of Evil II and it is about 5mB of terror. On my poor little machine, it runs about 30 seconds of real time to 1 second of game time! Yes, you heard it right. 30:1 and not the normal 1:30 real time compression. Even the fastest machines report slowness when running that gargantuan file. Give it a try if you are looking to give your machine a heart attack!

1) Enjoy creating it
2) Enjoy playing it
3) Enjoy sharing it
4) Enjoy helping others create them

The PlayersDB - The Harpoon Community's #1 Choice.

Harpoon3 Frequently Asked Questions
Herman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-06, 02:07 PM   #6
SixBravo
Nub

Downloads: 0

Haha I hadn't seen that. Sounds awesome. I got a box I built myself designed to run Lock-On (LOMAC) fairly quickly. We'll see what kind of damage I can render to this CPU with AoE 2. lol

I have a knack for creating very large and complex scenarios so I kinda figured one of my unreleased ones would be the biggest. Well that's what I get for being self-confident, right? hahaha

Yeah??! Well my torpedo has a longer range!
SixBravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-06, 02:57 PM   #7
Herman
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 269
Uploads: 1046

Where the Hell are your scens!

Damn it man, Where the Hell are your scens!?

Why don't you share them with the community-at-large? There are plenty of sites around where you can post and share scenarios. You don't even need to ask permission. Just grab a membership and throw them up. IMO, there is no such thing as a 'bad' scenario. I've played them all. Big and Small. Would love to see some of your work.

You can post freely at either of these sites:

SZO file archives - Home of the Harpoon3 PlayersDB

FilesOfScenShare

1) Enjoy creating it
2) Enjoy playing it
3) Enjoy sharing it
4) Enjoy helping others create them

The PlayersDB - The Harpoon Community's #1 Choice.

Harpoon3 Frequently Asked Questions
Herman is offline   Reply With Quote