SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-06-08, 11:51 AM   #1
SUBMAN1
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Why is everyone so disappointed with Windows Vista?

Just so you guys remember what it was they were supposed to deliver:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...OGmO3EDA&hl=en

Somehow the above video of Longhorn never happened. Hopefully Windows 7 will fix that.

-S
Old 06-06-08, 01:22 PM   #2
MothBalls
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 20

Like most Microsoft products, they run great on a slide projector. The bad part happens when people make the mistake of trying to run it on a computer.
MothBalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-08, 01:30 PM   #3
CCIP
Navy Seal

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 2

There was certainly a distinct lack of babies in Vista

Eh, honestly, I'm not all that impressed with that video either. I dislike the gimmicky, memory-eating, and let's not forget practically useless clutter that they keep trying to stuff into Windows. For me, actual improvements to Windows ergonomics since 95 have been numbered in single digits, for all the millions that they seem to spend on it. Considering there's hundreds of ways you can change and customize your Windows shell without having to buy a new OS, I think all this kind of development is a huge waste. The effort would be better-spent giving us features we actually need. Like a more efficient file system and such.

I don't mind Vista though, but for all the money and effort spent on it, they ought to be ashamed. There's still not a single reason I'd prefer it to XP, and at least one reason I'd prefer XP over it (memory consumption). I still have it on my laptop though and I don't plan to get rid of it. For all practical purposes it works just fine.

There are only forty people in the world and five of them are hamburgers.
-Don Van Vliet
(aka Captain Beefheart)
CCIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-08, 01:38 PM   #4
FIREWALL
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 511

I have WinXP sp2 . It may not be the latest and greatest but it works for me and I haven't ever had one problem with it.

I Play GWX. Silent Hunter Who ???
FIREWALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-08, 02:30 PM   #5
SUBMAN1
Rear Admiral

The point is - all that stuff is cool. Makes you visualize what you are working on to help keep better track of things. You aren't seeing the enchilada either. That just gives you an idea of what you were supposed to get.

And, that is not a slide show - that was a working product in 2003!!!

-S
Old 06-06-08, 03:08 PM   #6
CCIP
Navy Seal

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 2

I'm all for visualizing, don't get me wrong. But I do find the layout there too cluttery and flashy for my taste. When it comes to interface, the less I see of it and the more it does, the better.

Good news is that those among us who really want to get more function can learn to modify their windows shell pretty easily.

There are only forty people in the world and five of them are hamburgers.
-Don Van Vliet
(aka Captain Beefheart)
CCIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-08, 03:17 PM   #7
SUBMAN1
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCIP
I'm all for visualizing, don't get me wrong. But I do find the layout there too cluttery and flashy for my taste. When it comes to interface, the less I see of it and the more it does, the better.

Good news is that those among us who really want to get more function can learn to modify their windows shell pretty easily.
There are plenty of Vista like upgrades for XP's as well. I played with a few of them in the past. Besides the occasional bug, you get basically everything Vista gives you, including glass.

-S
Old 06-06-08, 03:30 PM   #8
Linton
Sea Lord

It would not talk to my printer or modem,it was a huge programme on the memory and it locked up and crashed doing the simplest things.It was back in the box and on its way back to the vendor within five days!
I think the most novel aspect of it was a stopwatch on the desktop-wow what a load of s**t!If I was Bill gates I would have very sore toes from kicking so much ass because this system was such an embarrassment!
Linton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-08, 04:47 PM   #9
longam
Admiral

Downloads: 26

Everyone wants a damn toaster, just stick you bread in and push a button and wala toast. Crap it’s always been this way with every version. I remember win2k, what a disaster that was. XP was decent but still had its problems. Apparently there’s just not enough geek left in people to accept the challenge and end the boredom.

I love the new bells and whistles but really like peeking under the hood to see the real benefits from the next version.
longam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-08, 05:00 PM   #10
SUBMAN1
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by longam
Everyone wants a damn toaster, just stick you bread in and push a button and wala toast. Crap it’s always been this way with every version. I remember win2k, what a disaster that was. XP was decent but still had its problems. Apparently there’s just not enough geek left in people to accept the challenge and end the boredom.

I love the new bells and whistles but really like peeking under the hood to see the real benefits from the next version.
Man, you are so behind the times! They have USB toasters now days. Get with it already!

-S
Old 06-06-08, 07:40 PM   #11
kiwi_2005
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 223
Uploads: 1

Quote:

Yea, thats what i did just got rid of all the eyecandy kept the sidebar and dreamscape running, everything else is down to its basics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subman1
There are plenty of Vista like upgrades for XP's as well. I played with a few of them in the past. Besides the occasional bug, you get basically everything Vista gives you, including glass.
Had XP converted to a Mac layout once - big fat icons down the bottom actually after a few weeks i kinda like the look of a Mac interface. Some good programs to change xp interface- Windows blinds/StyleXP/ or the Vista pack for xp which changes completely into the vista look right down to the code.

Those who can't laugh at themselves leave the job to others.

kiwi_2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-08, 08:04 PM   #12
Monica Lewinsky
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 11

Got 3 Vista machines, 2 towers, one laptop. Running SHIII with GWX and SHIV on both tower PCs with NO Problems. Laptop can only run SHIII with GWX.

All this bitching about Vista Annoys me.

Sink them all!

Last edited by Monica Lewinsky; 06-06-08 at 08:28 PM.
Monica Lewinsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-08, 09:22 PM   #13
JHuschke
XO

Downloads: 32

I have Windows Vista Home 32-bit, the latest one. It works pretty good for all my games even when people said the Nvidia 8300 GS 128 MB videocard I had sucked but it works pretty good. I guess they just don't like looking at the same screen.
JHuschke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-08, 08:35 PM   #14
Seminole
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 102

Quote:
Why is everyone so disappointed with Windows Vista?

64 bit...I ain't. Does some pretty amazing things if you give it a chance.

Read Tweakguide's Tweaking Companion for a summary of details.

Anything I haven't liked about it, so far, I can shutdown, turnoff, or delete. Don't remember that always being exactly the case with Windows 3.11-XP...and DOS...lets not even go there...:rotfl:....though I did enjoy that OS in it's day...probably 'cause I didn't know any better way back when,,,,
Seminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-08, 09:36 PM   #15
Wolfehunter
Crusty Capt.

Downloads: 40
Uploads: 25

Quote:

Amen to that!