SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-19-08, 06:26 PM   #1
JHuschke
XO

Downloads: 32
Uploads: 0
Default New Computer!!

I just got a brand new computer for $651.00..a Dell Inspiron 530, Intel Core 2 Duo E4600 2.4 GHz (4.8 GHz), 250 GB Hard Drive, 2 GB RAM, and Windows Vista...it's the first time for me to ever use Windows Vista because I have always used Windows XP..but will this do good enough for my games? What's your opinion on these specs?

I'm usually playing Silent Hunter III, Doom 3, IL-2 Sturmovik 1946, Red Orchestra and I just got Silent Hunter IV: Wolves of the Pacific...
JHuschke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-08, 06:37 PM   #2
PeriscopeDepth
Sea Lord

Downloads: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by G00BER
I just got a brand new computer for $651.00..a Dell Inspiron 530, Intel Core 2 Duo E4600 2.4 GHz (4.8 GHz), 250 GB Hard Drive, 2 GB RAM, and Windows Vista...it's the first time for me to ever use Windows Vista because I have always used Windows XP..but will this do good enough for my games? What's your opinion on these specs?

I'm usually playing Silent Hunter III, Doom 3, IL-2 Sturmovik 1946, Red Orchestra and I just got Silent Hunter IV: Wolves of the Pacific...
Gonna need a video card. Overall I don't think it's bad for the money, and should run all those just fine provided you have a decent video card. Might want to stick more RAM in it as well.

PD
PeriscopeDepth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-08, 06:57 PM   #3
FIREWALL
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 511

Hi Goober Welcome Aboard.

Sounds like you got a pretty good deal.

You will need a good vid card as others said first.

There's pretty good deals at Tiger Direct.

Enjoy your new rig.

I Play GWX. Silent Hunter Who ???
FIREWALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-08, 07:02 PM   #4
SUBMAN1
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 0

The sad part - $650 probably bought a better system than my main sys (about the price I paid for my vid card in this thing) is these days. One of these days is probably time for an upgrade for me. They probably have to make a more demanding game than Crysis first I am thinking though.

-S
Old 05-19-08, 07:26 PM   #5
JHuschke
XO

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeriscopeDepth
Quote:

Gonna need a video card. Overall I don't think it's bad for the money, and should run all those just fine provided you have a decent video card. Might want to stick more RAM in it as well.

PD
My video card is a Nvidia Geforce 8300 GS 128 MB
Old 05-19-08, 07:41 PM   #6
FIREWALL
Eternal Patrol

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

PD

You did get a good deal. That new rig should play everything just fine.

Old 05-19-08, 07:43 PM   #7
PeriscopeDepth
Sea Lord

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

PD
You will definitely want a new vid card. The nvidia -300 series is good for watching DVDs, definitely not gaming. You may be able to play those games, but it will not be a pleasant experience without a decent card. Figure out what kind of slot your vid card is. I am guessing it is PCI Express, but make sure before you buy anything. Also make sure your power supply is capable of handling any vid card you throw at it. I'm guessing you have a 300-400 watt power supply or so. Here's a recent article about choosing a mid range vid card:
http://www.simhq.com/_technology2/technology_129a.html

PD
Old 05-19-08, 07:47 PM   #8
JHuschke
XO

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

PD
You will definitely want a new vid card. The nvidia -300 series is good for watching DVDs, definitely not gaming. You may be able to play those games, but it will not be a pleasant experience without a decent card. Figure out what kind of slot your vid card is. I am guessing it is PCI Express, but make sure before you buy anything. Also make sure your power supply is capable of handling any vid card you throw at it. I'm guessing you have a 300-400 watt power supply or so. Here's a recent article about choosing a mid range vid card:
http://www.simhq.com/_technology2/technology_129a.html

PD
Yes, it's a PCI-Express, I think I have around 350 watt power supply.
Old 05-19-08, 07:55 PM   #9
PeriscopeDepth
Sea Lord

Play the games you want to before you run out and buy anything. Maybe it'll perform to your expectations. Maybe not.

I have an older Dell XPS with a nvidia 7600GT that is dying. The -600GT cards are great for the money, and will run you about $150-$180 for the current generation. I play more or less the same games you do, and the 7600GT was fine for everything except SH4. It was playable but chugged at times. I'll be replacing it with an 8600GT for under $100, and maybe throw in another gig of RAM to keep me trucking until I can afford a new box.

PD
Old 05-19-08, 08:21 PM   #10
JHuschke
XO

Quote:
Play the games you want to before you run out and buy anything. Maybe it'll perform to your expectations. Maybe not.

I have an older Dell XPS with a nvidia 7600GT that is dying. The -600GT cards are great for the money, and will run you about $150-$180 for the current generation. I play more or less the same games you do, and the 7600GT was fine for everything except SH4. It was playable but chugged at times. I'll be replacing it with an 8600GT for under $100, and maybe throw in another gig of RAM to keep me trucking until I can afford a new box.

PD
Yeah, I heard those Nvidia SLI's wouldn't improve the gaming performance..so I guess I could get one in the FX series or just a Nvidia 8600 or 8800 GS/GT for cheap if there ever is one under $100.
Old 05-19-08, 08:27 PM   #11
CCIP
Navy Seal

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 2

Don't go for the FX. Don't go for the 8600 now in fact, either. Given that you can get very solid 8800 cards for around $200, this should be your only choice. Sure you might have to buck up a little , but trust me on this: you'll regret not spending an extra hundred bucks or so on a card that is infinitely better. I made a mistake a few years ago with buying an FX5200 card instead of spending a little more on a "real" video card. Never again!

There are only forty people in the world and five of them are hamburgers.
-Don Van Vliet
(aka Captain Beefheart)
CCIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-08, 10:05 PM   #12
PeriscopeDepth
Sea Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCIP
Don't go for the FX. Don't go for the 8600 now in fact, either. Given that you can get very solid 8800 cards for around $200, this should be your only choice. Sure you might have to buck up a little , but trust me on this: you'll regret not spending an extra hundred bucks or so on a card that is infinitely better. I made a mistake a few years ago with buying an FX5200 card instead of spending a little more on a "real" video card. Never again!
He is limited by his PSU though. Even the GS (slower) model of the 8800 requires a 450 watt PSU. But yeah, don't spend money on an FX. That is ridiculous.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...2053&body=MAIN

Go with GT G00BER. GS=slower.

PD
Old 05-20-08, 03:47 AM   #13
bookworm_020
Navy Seal

Downloads: 1

THe FX series woun't run SH4, and will not do SH3 any favours when you have GWX installed. More meory is a good idea, as too much is never enough!
bookworm_020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-08, 01:37 PM   #14
JHuschke
XO

Alright, thanks! I was also wondering with the same specs, would I be able to play GWX 2.1 online?
Old 05-20-08, 02:24 PM   #15
FIREWALL
Eternal Patrol

Quote:

Please excuse me if I'm a bit confused. Is this a rig your waiting on or do you already have it ?

The reason I ask is haven't you tried any of your games on it ?

Trust me it won't blow up.

If you look at my Sig other than PS you have a way more modern rig than I do and I play GWX2.1 with OLC mods and a few others and my fps in harbor or in convoy attacks is never less then 40 to 50 fps.
In open ocean 150 fps.

In SH4 TMO\RSRD modded heavily and game sliders fairly high and most boxes ticked it's about the same fps with no slowdown or stutter in either game.

Get a baseline of how your games play now and write it down for a reference to compare later.

I don't know how big your wallet is right now, but a better vid card and a PS to run it go hand in hand.

Most people around here are lucky to have 2 gigs of ram so I wouldn't worry about that for now.

Ram is cheap right now but will show neglidgable difference if your vid card is lacking.

As stated above, try your games first and see how your rig works.

All the ram in the world won't help if vid card is lacking.

As for tweaking and overclocking, refer to the BIG WALLET phrase if you don't know what your doing.

Good luck GOOBER and let us know how things are going and how your games play with what you have for info for the rest of us.