SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-25-08, 09:25 AM   #1
Zayphod
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Default New PC Build

After finally finishing Morrowind (if you can ever consider it "finished") and finalizing my story, I'm finally building the new PC that'll be used for Silent Hunter IV, The Witcher, and Oblivion.

The Whole Thing

Start with one case

Front

There is nothing as beautiful as virgin territory, right guys??

500 watt PS BTW, the only thing holding that up are the 4 screws on the back of this case. Really. That case is 1/4 inch thick, so I guess it'll hold the thing.

The Mother of All Boards

And locked in place.

Brains.........

And in place.....

Big A** Fan

This was the hard part. Not installing the harddrives, but getting the ribbon cable to wrap around the corner to the plugs. This case turns the harddrives sideways (the front fans blow on them).

300 gig HD on top (Western Digital), and 80 gig on bottom (Maxtor). BTW, those ribbon cables were replaced later with round EDI cables for better air flow.

Two DVD drives (burners, one is lightscribe)

Yes, that's a cassette deck for a computer! No, really!! I've got 99 cassettes that I've been wanting to burn to CD's for years. Now, it can be done!

GeForce 7800 GT OC, 256 megs

Replaced ribbon cables with round IDE cables. I really need to go back in there and clean up those power connections. I was trying to keep everything neat, but the video card needs power here for the fan, the two front fans needed power, the night-lights around the power/reset buttons needed power, and now it looks like a major interchange in Los Angeles. The "neat" stuff was the three drives at the top of the PC.

"It's Alive.....IT'S ALIVE!!!"
----Baron Von Frankenstein

On Sunday, June 22, 2008, at 12:04 PM EDT, engine was test fired successfully, no smoke leaked out from anywhere. CMOS recognized everyone that it needed to see. Started loading Win XP Home on it on June 23. It's a process.

I tell you, nothing makes you feel as good as when you put one of these together successfully. Sort of like watching a child being born.

Almost brings a tear to my eyes.
Old 06-25-08, 09:43 AM   #2
HunterICX
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 8
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zayphod
I tell you, nothing makes you feel as good as when you put one of these together successfully. Sort of like watching a child being born.

Almost brings a tear to my eyes.
Mate, you love Computers toooo much

nice rig, mate
enjoy it

HunterICX
Old 06-25-08, 09:51 AM   #3
Syxx_Killer
Admiral

Downloads: 21
Uploads: 0

Cool looking rig!

I got to agree with Hunter, though. You love these things too much. I built my own computer, too, and while I take some pride in it, it never brought a tear to my eye. Actually, when my MagLite flashlight rolled off the table while building it and onto my foot, that came close to bringing a tear to my eye. It was late at night and I was getting ready to go to bed.
Syxx_Killer is offline   Reply With Quote