SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Sub & Naval Discussions: World Naval News, Books, & Films
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-24-07, 09:18 PM   #1
Shyzar
Engineer

Downloads: 7
Uploads: 0
Good books on Submarines?

Can anyone give me any recommendations for submarine books (fictional or factual), prefferably during WWII, but I don't really care.
I saw alink about three books by same author, but I forgot the author and can't find the post, the only name I remember is that Dust on the Water or something like that is one of the titles.

Friction is the only concept that more or less corresponds to the factors that distinguish real war from war on paper. -Carl von Clausewitz
Shyzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-07, 09:23 PM   #2
wstaub
Sailor man

Downloads: 2
Default Ned Beach

Start with Run Silent, Run Deep the continue to his other books including Dust On the Sea
wstaub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-07, 09:35 PM   #3
Iron Budokan
Sea Lord

Downloads: 32

"Iron Coffins" by Herbert Werner (very well written, memorable imagery)

"Torpedo Junction" by Homer Hickam, Jr. (strong narrative)

"Silent Running: My Years on a World War II Attack Submarine" by James Calvert (brutally honest and heartfelt look back at a man's years on an American sub)

"The Battle of the Atlantic" by Andrew Williams (hardly worth the trouble)

"Hitler's U-Boat War" by Clay Blair (the definitive work on the Battle of the Atlantic. Long on research)

"Submarine!" by Edward Beach. (Not this author's best work; a poor history)

"Pig Boats" by Theodore Roscoe (writing is pretty bad, almost jingoistic. Some detail.)

http://kennethmarkhoover.com
Iron Budokan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-07, 09:53 PM   #4
Shyzar
Engineer

Thanks for the quick replies.

I appreciate it.

Friction is the only concept that more or less corresponds to the factors that distinguish real war from war on paper. -Carl von Clausewitz
Old 05-24-07, 09:59 PM   #5
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Downloads: 305
Uploads: 1

Two books come to mind by Richard O'Kane.

Wahoo

Clear The Bridge.

Thunder Below by Eugene Fluckey He commanded the USS Barb during WWII.

Unrestricted Warfare by James F DeRose

Sink'em All by Rear Adm Charles Lockwood

Silent Victory by Clay Blair, Jr

Those should keep you in reading material for awhile.

cdrsubron7

Head Deep and Keep'em Astern" - LtCDR Samuel D Dealy
SHIV Guide | Imperial Japanese Navy | US Submarines

cdrsubron7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-07, 10:04 PM   #6
Shyzar
Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrsubron7

Those should keep you in reading material for awhile.

Ya, I already have about 1500 pgs to read about Winston Churchill, 800 on the Crusades, and 400 on The battle of Waterloo.

All the books that I plan to buy will probably keep me reading for a year or two.

It will also leave me with quite a bit less money, planning to buy about $223 worth of books

Old 05-24-07, 11:57 PM   #7
Lagger123987
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 323
Uploads: 4

U-boat by this one guy.
Lagger123987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-07, 12:02 AM   #8
Capt. Shark Bait
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 3

altho not WW2, there're a few by Joe Buff. i've read one and it's pretty good. gonna go thru another. set around 2012 and Germany and S. Africa are Axis with russia being neutral but supplying both. seems a bit better than clancy, too

Corsair Vengeance M70; ASUS Crosshair V Formula-Z; FX 8350; Asus 7870; Samsung SyncMaster 2243SWX; coolmax CUG950B 950w psu; 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3; Corsair M4 SSD 128GB, WD 1TB; x18 DVR212D; 7SP1
Capt. Shark Bait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-07, 12:15 AM   #9
Radtgaeb
Frogman

Downloads: 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Shark Bait
altho not WW2, there're a few by Joe Buff. i've read one and it's pretty good. gonna go thru another. set around 2012 and Germany and S. Africa are Axis with russia being neutral but supplying both. seems a bit better than clancy, too

Ugh, I tried reading "Crush Depth" and I couldn't get past page 25. Maybe it's just me, but I thought it was utterly unbelievable.

Then again, I'm usually reading things like Fyodor Dostoevsky, Sir Aurthur Conan Doyle, Dickens, Poe, Beirce, Cooper, Leblanc....going from classics like that to modern thrillers is a...trip, let me tell you...
Old 05-25-07, 02:34 AM   #10
Capt. Shark Bait
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radtgaeb
Quote:

Ugh, I tried reading "Crush Depth" and I couldn't get past page 25. Maybe it's just me, but I thought it was utterly unbelievable.

Then again, I'm usually reading things like Fyodor Dostoevsky, Sir Aurthur Conan Doyle, Dickens, Poe, Beirce, Cooper, Leblanc....going from classics like that to modern thrillers is a...trip, let me tell you...
you're too cerebral

Corsair Vengeance M70; ASUS Crosshair V Formula-Z; FX 8350; Asus 7870; Samsung SyncMaster 2243SWX; coolmax CUG950B 950w psu; 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3; Corsair M4 SSD 128GB, WD 1TB; x18 DVR212D; 7SP1
Capt. Shark Bait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-07, 03:18 AM   #11
Prof
Medic

Downloads: 2

'Secret Diary of a U-Boat' by Hirschfeld is a good one. He was on U-234 during its final mission carrying uranium ore to Japan when the cease-fire was ordered.
Prof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-07, 03:50 AM   #12
CaptainCox
Sea Lord

Downloads: 4

This is a must! but in German only AFAIK, but A LOT! of pics!
http://www.deutschesfachbuch.de/info...sbn=3937501118
The "REAL" photos from Buchheim...basically what you saw in "Das Boot" but the real thing!
Old 05-25-07, 10:25 AM   #13
peewee
Electrician's Mate

Ive just finished 'Silent Running' which was a pretty good read for the most part. I also have 'US Subs Down Under' by David Jones (unfortunate name for a naval author) and Peter Nunan from the Naval Institute Press. It's an ok read and no doubt very accurate but it has all the passion and excitement of a week old cabbage leaf........
peewee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-07, 06:15 PM   #14
Iron Budokan
Sea Lord

Quote:
It was unbelievable...embarrassingly so. He makes the mistake a lot of writers make who have little or no experience in speculative fiction. He thinks coming up with an idea without any grounding in economic or political reality is good enough. It's not.

I finished Crush Depth, and I have to admit I liked the battles between the subs and I was interested to see his concern about the ecological damage a war of this type would inflict on the world's oceans. But from a political standpoint the framework he posits for this "future war" is laughable. The biggest howler: The people of America, now at war with France and South Africa, listen to music from WWII because of the nostalgiac quality. Puh-leeze. That's not only bad extrapolation that's downright lazy plotting and little more than a passing nod (if that) at world building.

But if you could overlook all that, the writing itself both technically and grammatically was pretty good, as were the depth of personal characterizations throughout the book. A nice change from the typical "machine is character" thrust we so often see in technological novels of this type.

I won't ever read another Joe Buff novel. One was enough. But it's not because he's a terrible writer...it's because the universal conflict he posits simply would never occur, and it really shatters the suspension of disbelief.

p.s. And fer Gawd's sake, don't even get me started on Clancy....

http://kennethmarkhoover.com
Iron Budokan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-07, 11:19 PM   #15
Radtgaeb
Frogman

Downloads: 58

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

you're too cerebral
I certainly try, mate .