SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-24-16, 10:11 PM   #1
buddha96
Watch

Downloads: 6
Uploads: 0
Default best base

in vanilla only, what are the best bases ? I see mediteran and Baltic and French. Are there convoys in all areas ? I have choices of 1,2,7,10,11 and 29 now. ty as always.
buddha96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-16, 12:22 PM   #2
Von Due
Sea Lord

Downloads: 30

Convoys and general shipping first. Best bet is to look at the map of shipping lanes/convoy lanes that comes with the game.
http://etnies.muskatli.hu/sh/faq/SH3_MAP.jpg
Which lane will see traffic depends on the month and year. Details are in the map.

As for best, I suppose that depends on who you ask. For me, starting in the 2nd in Wilhelmshaven gives me a large boat with a short trip to the Atlantic or Scotland, later on they go to France for even easier access to the Atlantic. Starting in Kiel means a longer trip which I'm not too keen on. I never started outside northern Europe so I can't say much about the others.
Von Due is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-16, 01:12 PM   #3
Scorp10n
Watch

Downloads: 15

I prefer the 2nd then do your patrol and then hover off the coast of Hartlepool and you will find many single boats which will help when you play with 100% realism. When the weather is good I have sunk more than 30k tonnes just off the coast alone using torps and the deck gun.

When they set you off to France, I cant remember the date but if you manage to get into Gibraltar docks you will find a battleship (think it is the Hood) which will earn you a lot of tonnage (~50k). If you google the date the battleship is in for repair and is an easy target.

Sitting a target I know but....

Scorp10n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-16, 02:05 PM   #4
buddha96
Watch

Downloads: 6

im sorry mine came with no map. is the med any good ?
buddha96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-16, 03:04 PM   #5
Scorp10n
Watch

Downloads: 15

https://steamcommunity.com/linkfilte...aq/SH3_MAP.jpg

Apparently this should work. Either go for convoy routes or high naval traffic.
Scorp10n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-16, 04:33 PM   #6
Von Due
Sea Lord

Downloads: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddha96 View Post
im sorry mine came with no map. is the med any good ?
The Mediterranian has one convoy lane going from Alexandria, along the coast of North Africa south of Sicily and Malta and through the Strait of Gibraltar, where you also will find a high traffic area just west of the strait. Mind you, the strait can be a very busy place with all sorts of nasty allied but it's quite doable to sail through early in the war. Just don't let the lookouts wander off for a game of poker and coffee.

The map is in those links we posted so print that out or keep it on a 2nd-ary computer.
Von Due is offline   Reply With Quote