SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Sub & Naval Discussions: World Naval News, Books, & Films
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-23-15, 08:56 PM   #1591
Subnuts
The Old Man

Downloads: 14
Uploads: 0

I actually just finished reading this one today.

Genuinely surprised about this one. Haynes' books have been a mixed bag recently, and I get the impression they didn't really care about them anymore. This one is actually a pretty well-rounded look at the Merlin, very informative and nicely illustrated.

I wrote a brief review of it for Amazon here: http://www.amazon.com/review/R3CR3PW...55&store=books

Subnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-15, 07:34 PM   #1592
Subnuts
The Old Man

I'm not going to ask why the seller only wanted $12 for a book that retails for £50, but I got a hell of a steal on this book this week on Amazon. A quick flip through was promising, and the maps look very clear and nicely detailed. I'm always bitching about the lack of, or poor quality of, maps in most WWII naval histories, and this book looks to be a godsend.

Old 02-28-15, 08:06 AM   #1593
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

You got a real steal there

I'm holding back on ordering that book because the sister book is due for release at the end of March and I intend ordering them both together.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Great-Wa...bsnr_772016_22

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-15, 08:17 AM   #1594
Harvs
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 76

great book so far.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg carnivore.jpg (78.2 KB, 9 views)
NVIDIA GeForce GTX650 TiBOOST X2 in SLI
16GB RAM
Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64BIT
ASUS MAXIMUS V GENE Motherboard
Harvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-15, 06:55 PM   #1595
Subnuts
The Old Man

Had more of a chance to flip through War At Sea today. This is definitely the book I've wanted for years. The maps are clear, detailed, easy to read, cleanly rendered, and all are in full color. It doesn't just cover the "major" battles, either. I'm seeing plenty of maps showing minor amphibious operations, German auxiliary cruiser voyages, action in the Black Sea and Baltic, etc.

Can't wait for the WWI atlas, but Amazon is asking $50 for the Naval Institute Press edition, and $36 for the Seaforth edition. Amazon US always has the Seaforth editions available for pre-order before they're published, and never gets them in stock when they're released. Sigh...

Old 03-02-15, 07:10 PM   #1596
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

Right now I'm listerning to Mike Duncan's History of Rome(thank to Dowly)

Markus
mapuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-15, 06:27 AM   #1597
HunterICX
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 8

Having just finished reading Larry Niven's Ringworld which I must say is a very good read and am looking forward for the sequels and pre-quels .

but first I sink my teeth into this
Old 05-18-15, 07:05 AM   #1598
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterICX View Post
Having just finished reading Larry Niven's Ringworld which I must say is a very good read and am looking forward for the sequels and pre-quels .
I have pretty much everything Niven wrote in the '70s and '80s. Most of it is short-story collections, and all of it is good. So good I find it hard to recommend one group over another.
Old 05-22-15, 07:53 AM   #1599
swellfella
Seaman

Downloads: 465

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egan View Post
...the same reason I like Das Boot so much...an honest description of life aboard the boats where long periods of drudgery and filth are broken by bursts of intense fear and horror...
Das Boot by Lothar-Günther Buchheim (Audiobook)

Just finished a second listening of Das Boot audiobook which I found as gut-wrenching, riveting, and claustrophobic as the film. The reader, with his lightly German-accented-English makes you forget he is reciting as he draws you in as the newspaperman on board, reporting the "true facts" of life on a U-boot during WW2. Like the best of its ilk, it includes all we saw in the movie (sound effects, music, etc.), and much much more, yet without detracting from the over-all impression garnered from seeing it played out on celluloid, which is not often the case, sadly, with many a book transferred to the screen.

Right off the bat, describing the opening scene with the skipper, the chief, and the newsman, it is readily apparent why Wolfgang Petersen choose to present this on film; the book reads with such vivid images that you can almost touch, every description, every scene, even the technical aspects of operating a sub underday in war time with all that entails, your stomach turns, tightens as bulbs pops, and pipes burst during a particularly nasty depth charge...

Even if you're not particularly into the book thing, bound or on tape, I think it would well be worth the effort to give it a shot.

Again, let me say, as a lover of all things submarine, this is truly one of the most satisfying, rewarding experiences I've had as a sub-buff.
Old 05-22-15, 09:27 PM   #1600
TorpX
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 153
Uploads: 11

I recently finished:

HITLER'S U-BOAT WAR by Clay Blair.

And am now on:

FIND 'EM, CHASE 'EM, SINK 'EM by Mike Ostlund.

I feel like I know everything there is to know about the Atlantic U-boat campaign. Blair is thorough. He paints a very different picture of the campaign compared to Gannon, and backs up what he says with hard numbers. An excellent book (2 volumes, actually), in all respects.

TorpX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-15, 09:09 PM   #1601
tmccarthy
Admiral

Downloads: 270
Uploads: 16

"Tin Can Man" by E.J. Jernigan.

A very insightful look at the life of US Navy sailors and what it was like to serve on a Destroyer in the Pacific during WW2.
tmccarthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-15, 05:41 AM   #1602
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 32

Picked up the (chronologically) first The Witcher book, Last Wish. Quite a good read so far.
Dowly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-15, 10:14 AM   #1603
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

World Mythology, edited by Doctor Roy Willis, with sections by 18 different professors. I seem to be in the habit of reading reference books straight through, which takes months since I only read one chapter per night. This one is pretty entertaining so far, and covers pretty much every belief system there is.
Old 06-17-15, 12:41 PM   #1604
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Downloads: 0

An ad on the side of USNI news: http://news.usni.org/2015/06/16/firs...eid=02aae12459
Mr Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-15, 12:31 PM   #1605
HunterICX
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterICX View Post
but first I sink my teeth into this
*To End All Wars: Story of loyalty and rebellion 1914-1918*
And what a read it was
It pretty much delves quite into the internal turmoil within the empire between the anti and pro war sides. It really and ofcourse thanks to hindsight made me question the decision the British Empire took during the war on it's own population and voices who where especially against the war. How it was looked at by some notable figures and how some of the notable changed or held on to their believes.

A subject I never really sought after but am really glad to have red on it as I stumbled upon this book.

Tags
books