Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Classic Subsims
Forget password? Reset here

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-05-18, 06:48 PM   #1
Charliehorse241
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 11
Uploads: 0
Exclamation Silent Hunter 2 GOG can't even get past the setup window.

I used to play this on my dad's old Windows 98 all the time as a child. And I was feeling a bit nostalgic, so I brought it off of GOG.

I get it installed, start it up, aaaannnnnd it freaks out. (more specifically, it opens into a 640 x 480 white screen which changes to my desktop resolution, switches back to what I assume is 640 x 480 and then back to my desktop resolution again, it switches between the two every 5 seconds and continues to do so until I force it to close via task manager)

At the time, I figured it had something to do with my dpi scaling settings. So I right clicked the shortcut, clicked on properties, went into the compatibility settings tab, disabled the dpi scaling, and also set it to run as administrator just in case.

I open it up, aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaannnd it freaks out again.

I tried setting the compatibility to both Windows 95 and Windows 98, neither of them worked.

I tried setting it to 16 bit color, still didn't work.

When I set it to Windows 98 8 bit color, this actually made somewhat of an improvement, I saw the settings window for a fraction of a second, and then when it freaked out yet again, it switched between blank windows instead of white screens.

I have tried futzing about with the compatibility some more, I have tried installing the 1.3 patch from this website, I have even tried uninstalling my current QuickTime and changing it to the ancient QuickTime 5.0.2 from when the game was originally released. I have tried everything short of smashing my current computer with a sledgehammer and excavating my old toaster of a Windows XP laptop.

It's driving me NUTS!!

My OS is Windows 10 (Yes, i know it's awful, but it's what i'm stuck with for the time being) My video cards are Intel 4000 (which I've heard doesn't work very well with this game) And Nvidia GeForce GT 630m (I tried forcing it to run with this one and got the same result)

Edit: Managed to get it working on my own, I had this strange hunch that perhaps there wasn't really anything wrong at all and it was simply taking an unusually long time to load for whatever reason, so I opened it, went to take a shower while it did it's "thing"
And sure enough, when I came back, the setup window was finally there, and working properly, so I went ahead and made my configurations (You know what they say about looking a gift horse in the mouth) Once I did that and launched the game everything worked perfectly fine, at the main menu and in sim, the only minor issue I had was that the Eric Topp interview menu had messed up colors and crashed the game when I tried to play a video, but once I went into compatibility settings and switched off 8 bit color, that also worked perfectly fine.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It just works!

Last edited by Charliehorse241; 12-07-18 at 09:46 PM. Reason: Nixed the profanity and gave an update on my situation
Charliehorse241 is offline   Reply With Quote