SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Modern-Era Subsims > Dangerous Waters > DW Mod Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-26-09, 04:57 PM   #1
Sea Demon
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 33
Uploads: 0
Default DWX - Tomahawk waypoints broken

I was trying to put together a nice DWX scenario involving using Tomahawks against defended targets. This required setting Tomahawk waypoints.

In doing this, I found DWX screwed up the waypoint capability of Tomahawk missiles. The missiles go straight to their first waypoint and explode. One of the greatest attributes of Tomahawk cruise missiles is the ability to plan waypoints. Taking this away negates the essence of the total strength of this weapon system. And is a deal breaker with this mod. That's too bad, because I love the models, and what they did with the Perry FFG.

I hope somebody who works with this mod can address this.
Sea Demon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-09, 11:44 AM   #2
-GrayOwl-
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Demon View Post
I was trying to put together a nice DWX scenario involving using Tomahawks against defended targets. This required setting Tomahawk waypoints.

In doing this, I found DWX screwed up the waypoint capability of Tomahawk missiles. The missiles go straight to their first waypoint and explode. One of the greatest attributes of Tomahawk cruise missiles is the ability to plan waypoints. Taking this away negates the essence of the total strength of this weapon system. And is a deal breaker with this mod. That's too bad, because I love the models, and what they did with the Perry FFG.

I hope somebody who works with this mod can address this.
You should nominate only number of a point - by default the FIRST point - therefore missile is established and is appealed in this area (Point Number ONE).

The assigned presets a point #4 - Tomahawk will go on points #1 #2 #3 and detonate in a point #4.

Attentively read the instruction to use of the weapon.
Old 11-02-09, 03:04 AM   #3
Sea Demon
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by -GrayOwl- View Post
You should nominate only number of a point - by default the FIRST point - therefore missile is established and is appealed in this area (Point Number ONE).

The assigned presets a point #4 - Tomahawk will go on points #1 #2 #3 and detonate in a point #4.

Attentively read the instruction to use of the weapon.
Thank you GrayOwl. I've read your instructions here and the one in the RA manual. And I'm still unsure how this works. I would appreciate greatly if you could clarify how to make this work.
Old 11-02-09, 03:16 AM   #4
goldorak
Admiral

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Demon View Post
Thank you GrayOwl. I've read your instructions here and the one in the RA manual. And I'm still unsure how this works. I would appreciate greatly if you could clarify how to make this work.

Ok its very simple. The tomahawk has basically 2 modes of attack.
  • in the first mode you select the specific waypoint that will be over the target. So for instance if you put waypoint number 2 over the target then you must set 2 in the destruct range field in the weapons control station. Once you fire, the tomahawk will proceed to waypoint 1 and go on, at waypoint 2 it will look for its target and attack it. It will not proceed to waypoints 3 or 4.
    Same thing if you put waypoint 4 over the target, you must set 4 in destruct range field and fire the missile. It will pass over waypoint 1, then 2 etc.. until waypoint 4 where it looks for its target.
  • the second mode of attack enables the radar of the missile over each waypoint. So for instance if you set destruct range to 5, the missile will proceed to waypoint 1 and enable its radar to search for the target, if none is found the radar is turned off and the missile continues to waypoint 2. There it will re-enable its radar to search for a target and if none is found radar off and on to waypoint 3 etc... Like this for all 4 waypoints.

Hope this clears it up Sea Demon.

Last edited by goldorak; 11-02-09 at 04:53 AM.
goldorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-09, 05:02 PM   #5
Sea Demon
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldorak View Post
Ok its very simple. The tomahawk has basically 2 modes of attack.
  • in the first mode you select the specific waypoint that will be over the target. So for instance if you put waypoint number 2 over the target then you must set 2 in the destruct range field in the weapons control station. Once you fire, the tomahawk will proceed to waypoint 1 and go on, at waypoint 2 it will look for its target and attack it. It will not proceed to waypoints 3 or 4.
    Same thing if you put waypoint 4 over the target, you must set 4 in destruct range field and fire the missile. It will pass over waypoint 1, then 2 etc.. until waypoint 4 where it looks for its target.
  • the second mode of attack enables the radar of the missile over each waypoint. So for instance if you set destruct range to 5, the missile will proceed to waypoint 1 and enable its radar to search for the target, if none is found the radar is turned off and the missile continues to waypoint 2. There it will re-enable its radar to search for a target and if none is found radar off and on to waypoint 3 etc... Like this for all 4 waypoints.
Hope this clears it up Sea Demon.
Thanks goldorak. Based on you response, I can assume you have tested this and everything works correctly? If so, that's terrific.

I wish I could see an example of how this works rather than a text instruction. In lieu of that, I will just have to carefully read the RA manual, GrayOwl's response, and your response here and try it when I get the chance.

Thanks again guys. I appreciate it.
Old 11-02-09, 07:24 PM   #6
Sea Demon
Ocean Warrior

OK. I got it. I just had to read this and try a couple of things. But I now get it.

Could I please request that a mod change the topic title to "corrected" or at least take the word "broken" off of it so others don't have the impression that this function is broken.

I didn't read the manual. That's my fault.
Old 11-05-09, 03:46 AM   #7
Castout
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 6

Yea I didn't read the weapon manual a lot too. I'm so used just looking at USNI for information