SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific > SH4 U-Boat Missions Add On
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-19-08, 01:36 PM   #1
maelstormic
Swabbie

Downloads: 21
Uploads: 0
Default Sonar attacks

I know u-boats don't have active sonar but I was wondering if there is a way to make sonar only attacks
maelstormic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-08, 01:39 PM   #2
M. Sarsfield
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 0

The US sonar stacks allows you to send bearing and range (determined from active pinging) to the TDC. The German sonar will allow you to determine bearing, which can be entered manually, but you'll need some prior knowledge of target speed and course to pull of a shot on the attack map without using the scope. You could get an idea of speed over time by taking two bearing measurements with sonar, but you would only have a rough idea of target course.
www.ussbatfish.com

Communism killed over 100M people and all that I got was this lousy signature.*

*http://www.hawaii.edu/powerkills/COM.ART.HTM
M. Sarsfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-08, 02:08 PM   #3
maelstormic
Swabbie

Ok thanks
Old 03-19-08, 05:22 PM   #4
WernerSobe
Commodore

Downloads: 5

The german TDC is capable for sonar attacks. But since you cannot range the target you must at least know its speed. If the speed is knows (i.e. from radio report) you can calculate the range.

Ill try to work out this method.

ps: actualy the range is not very important for the firing solution. It may remain unknown or we can use a variable to solve the problem. That will be quite abstract but i think it can work. Well ive got a new task ;-)
WernerSobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-08, 03:18 AM   #5
WernerSobe
Commodore

Downloads: 5

Ive worked out a method. It works!

You can plot a manual firing solution using only passive sonar. During my tests i was able to hit merchants at speeds up to 12 knots and range up to 2500 meters fairly accurate.

The problem is that you cannot range the target. But you can find course when you have just bearing by using an unknown variable for speed. The course alone doesnt help much because you still have 2 unknowns in your firing solution. Range and Speed.

But we have some information. The sonarman tells us the approximate speed. It can be slow, medium and fast. Slow means it is somewhere between 4 and 8 knots. Medium is 8 - 12. Fast is above 12. Knowing that we can limit the corridor where the target should be. Besides that range is realy not important. What we can do now is fire 3 torpedoes at the target at different possible speeds. So if it is slow you would fire 3 torpees at 3 firing solutions for 4, 6 and 8 knots. The results are great. At least one or two torpedoes do actualy hit up to a range of 2500 meters.

note: you must set up the firing solution manualy on attack map screen using the TDC manual input dials.

ps: I will make a detailed tutorial shortly.
WernerSobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-08, 06:02 AM   #6
maelstormic
Swabbie

Thanks!
Old 03-20-08, 06:53 AM   #7
joegrundman
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 34

There are several ways - try doing a search for "hydrophone hunting" or "passive sonar attack"
"Enemy submarines are to be called U-Boats. The term submarine is to be reserved for Allied under water vessels. U-Boats are those dastardly villains who sink our ships, while submarines are those gallant and noble craft which sink theirs." Winston Churchill
joegrundman is offline   Reply With Quote