Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Classic Subsims
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-17-07, 11:21 AM   #1
Randy
Nub

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Problem running SH2 on WinXP

I'm having a small problem running the game in Windows XP sp2 and would like to know if anyone has experienced this or knows of a way that it can be corrected. The software installs from the disc with no problems, it also loads properly when I play the game. Ocassionally the problem occurs during game play when I change location on the sub. The problem always occurs after I finish a mission and hit the end mission button. This is the problem, The game suddenly shuts down and exits with the following error message displayed, Error-1 [Cannot open include file tooltips.dsm] DirectX code: "Unrecognized error: Oxffffffff" C:\Devel\Janus2\Portable\Sources\UFileProfile.cpp Line 1146. I'll still be able to load the game and play again but there will be no saved data from the previous game. Can anyone help with this?
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-07, 12:16 PM   #2
STEED
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 48

Sorry can not help, but SH2 is all OK here. But I'm sure someone here can help out.

PS: Welcome on board

To borrow Davros saying...I NAME YOU CHIBNALL THE DESTROYER OF DR WHO YOU KILLED IT!
STEED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-07, 01:50 PM   #3
Kapitan_Phillips
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 203

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy
I'm having a small problem running the game in Windows XP sp2 and would like to know if anyone has experienced this or knows of a way that it can be corrected. The software installs from the disc with no problems, it also loads properly when I play the game. Ocassionally the problem occurs during game play when I change location on the sub. The problem always occurs after I finish a mission and hit the end mission button. This is the problem, The game suddenly shuts down and exits with the following error message displayed, Error-1 [Cannot open include file tooltips.dsm] DirectX code: "Unrecognized error: Oxffffffff" C:\Devel\Janus2\Portable\Sources\UFileProfile.cpp Line 1146. I'll still be able to load the game and play again but there will be no saved data from the previous game. Can anyone help with this?

Which resolution are you playing it at? And what kind of Graphics Card do you have?
Old 02-17-07, 08:28 PM   #4
Randy
Nub

Downloads: 0
Default SH2 Problem

I have two monitors connected to my desktop, one uses an NVIDIA GeForce2 MX/400, which has I believe 32mb of RAM, maybe 64mb. I don't remember, (anyway it's not important, it still runs the full graphics of the game) installed in a PCI slot. The other display is on an NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200, that has 128mb of RAM, which is installed in the AGP slot. The problem occurs no matter which video card I am using, it also occurs no matter which resoluition I select for either card.
I can also play the game on my Dell Latitude D600 Laptop, which is also running Windows XP sp2. I'm not sure of the video card on that system, (just bought it off Ebay, got a great deal, $450.00) but I still experience the exact same problem. I don't believe the problem is hardware related since it occurs using three different display adapters, I am thinking that it is more of a DirectX problem, but I'm not a programmer nor do I play one on TV, therefore I'm only guessing.

Last edited by Randy; 02-17-07 at 08:57 PM.
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-07, 04:22 AM   #5
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 2

It looks to me as a problem with the menu configuration of the game (Bad file...corrupt install...scratched CD??), and the missing file is this: "tooltips.dsm". That file is probably used by the sim in some stations (And crashes when you go there) and always when ending the mission (Which is why it always crashes then).

Anyway try reinstalling DirectX again, in case some of the files are corrupt or have been overwritten by the drivers of something you installed. Reinstalling the game and trying a different screen res could also help locating the problem :hmm: