SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-30-14, 09:22 PM   #16
merc4ulfate
DILLIGAF

Downloads: 210
Uploads: 0

People have computers built for them???

I couldn't resist.

Mercfulfate
将補
日本帝國海軍

merc4ulfate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-14, 04:40 AM   #17
bybyx
Ensign

Downloads: 942

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry708 View Post
Well after a lot of searching and reading about cards and all the good advice from the SubSim community I have decided to get a ATI Radeon HD 5570 2GB Video Card for the computer I am going to have built. I located one at a good price. I know it will work with SH 4 and is DirectX 11 and windows 7 compadable.
I would advice to buy a latest generation video card. It does not have to be the top of the line model. The HD5000 series are old and they may run SH4 but you will have problems with newer games, i guarantee you that. On top of that HD5570 is a low end video card and not designed for gaming and i am not sure if AMD are making new drivers for it and if that it is true you will find yourself forced to use very old drivers from years ago. Just for the sake of it, what is the budget for your pc? You need to buy everything from scratch or you can use something from your old pc like the case, or the dvd writer?

Last edited by bybyx; 04-01-14 at 05:12 AM.
bybyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-14, 07:07 AM   #18
jpm1
Captain

Downloads: 9

i recently purchased a GTX 650 2 Gi and i run SH4 on ultra very smooth . only thing if you decide to go for a 650 be sure to avoid the cards with DVI-D connectors these are extremely difficult to find

here my very first screenies on SHIV

jpm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-14, 11:41 AM   #19
Harry708
Watch

Downloads: 26

I'm not overly worried about the high end cards, In the past 5 t0 6 years I have only been playing two games on the PC, Silent Hunter Commanders Edition and Silent Hunter wolves. Do really get into the other games out there.

I may check into the gtx 650 video card but will have to see if I can get one for a reasonable price. The DVI out put bothers me some, I don't know if the adapter I see it comes with will work with my older VGA moniter and I don't want the additional expence of the new one when the one I have is fine.
And it is forever engraved on the souls of those who have had to be the cause".
Harry708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-14, 05:00 AM   #20
bybyx
Ensign

Here are my 2 cents about a PC:

1.cpu: intel core i3 4130 haswell: 124.99$- i consider this the bare minimum for just about anything.
2.mb:gigabyte ga b85 hd3: 94.99$
3.ram:g skill ripjaws 8gb(2x4gb):74.99$
4.hdd: western digital wd10ezex 1tb:69.99$ - if you have a good one already you can skip it.
5.video:sapphire radeon 270X:209.99$ - you could add a cheaper one but i would not go below 150$. if you have a big screen monitor with full hd resolution a more powerful card will help.
6.psu:corsair cx600m 600w:89.99$ a good psu with stable and plenty of output is essential. I paid for mine the equivalent of 150$ back in 2006 and it's still working.
7.dvdrw: asus dvd burner sata:19.99$ - this is added because if you have an older model on a ide interface you will not be able to use it on newer motherboards as these new models lack an ide slot.
8.case: i did not put a new case because i believe you can use the older case just as well. My computer case is from 2004 and still going strong.

I am from Europe but the prices are from newegg and are without any sort of discount that they may offer.
Old 04-02-14, 10:15 AM   #21
jpm1
Captain

Downloads: 9

no need to put 200 $ in a card when as Harry said he'll play almost only SH . there are very powerful GTX 650 or 7850 for 100 $ maybe less . the PSU is very good it's the one i have and my OS is very smooth with it . high resolution IMHO are useless for gaming unless you want to put 2000 $ in a rig which it's not the case of 90 % of us . high resolutions are good for work only , and for this you can buy a second cheap 60 Hz screen . for gaming for me most important in monitors it's not the resolution but the refresh rate i think for gaming you need at least 75 Hz . concerning the HDD for a game like SH i don't know but maybe a SSD could be nice . i have one and loading times never take more than 5 - 6 s (you install OS on SSD and game on HDD) . this is very nice especially when you do some modding
jpm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-14, 02:27 PM   #22
bybyx
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpm1 View Post
no need to put 200 $ in a card when as Harry said he'll play almost only SH . there are very powerful GTX 650 or 7850 for 100 $ maybe less . the PSU is very good it's the one i have and my OS is very smooth with it . high resolution IMHO are useless for gaming unless you want to put 2000 $ in a rig which it's not the case of 90 % of us . high resolutions are good for work only , and for this you can buy a second cheap 60 Hz screen . for gaming for me most important in monitors it's not the resolution but the refresh rate i think for gaming you need at least 75 Hz . concerning the HDD for a game like SH i don't know but maybe a SSD could be nice . i have one and loading times never take more than 5 - 6 s (you install OS on SSD and game on HDD) . this is very nice especially when you do some modding
It is true what you say about playing older games like SH4 or maybe the veteran SH3 but if you buy a new pc it is good to buy the newest generation of components that you can afford.
I think that a decent video card is always welcomed especially if are able to buy a new generation that just came out. You don't buy a cheaper one every year because it will cost you more in the end to upgrade.
Regarding the the monitor, an lcd is always best kept at maximum resolution because at lower resolutions the image will look bad. Try playing SH4 or SH5 in 1920x1080 and then lower the resolution at 1280x720 and see how the quality changes. Concerning the refresh rate, most of the monitors out there are set to 60hz at 1920x1080 and in gaming achieving 60fps at full hd you need a decent video card. You may have a 75hz or even a 125hz monitor but you'll also need a more powerful card to reach those hz. What I am trying to say is that you need balance between the parts of you pc. One more important thing about gaming is the response time and gaming wise you need under 4ms.
About an ssd, you are 100% right. Those suckers can run fast and only use a couple of watts in energy. My brother has a 120gb one and it only uses around 5 or 7 watts.
Old 04-02-14, 04:53 PM   #23
Harry708
Watch

Downloads: 26
Default best video card for SH 4

Well I took the plunge, I got a XLR8 GeForce GTX 650 2GB GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 Graphics Card for a great price. Best thing is it has three outputs, the VGA I was looking for plus a DVI and HDMI. I'm going to get a 500 watt power supply, 3.5 quad core processor and 8 gigs of ram, 2 TB hard drive and all the usual with Windows 7 home premium. I'll let you know how it works out once it's built in about a week or so.

Thanks for all the imput guys.
And it is forever engraved on the souls of those who have had to be the cause".
Harry708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-14, 01:44 AM   #24
bybyx
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry708 View Post
Well I took the plunge, I got a XLR8 GeForce GTX 650 2GB GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 Graphics Card for a great price. Best thing is it has three outputs, the VGA I was looking for plus a DVI and HDMI. I'm going to get a 500 watt power supply, 3.5 quad core processor and 8 gigs of ram, 2 TB hard drive and all the usual with Windows 7 home premium. I'll let you know how it works out once it's built in about a week or so.

Thanks for all the imput guys.
Well done sir.
I would have taken a more powerful card but it is your choice and i respect that. However get a bigger power supply because in the future if you upgrade you PC you might need more juice than 500w. I recommend one from Seasonic, Corsair or Antec of at least 650w. As a PSU gets older its efficiency gets lower.