SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-19-16, 10:45 PM   #1426
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Downloads: 305
Uploads: 1

Just got home a little while ago from work. Decided to head out into the Pacific and see what mischief I could get into. Patrolling south of Tokyo Bay and ran into a couple of those Hunter-Killer groups we've been talking about. The first one was a lone Minekaze which is now with Davy Jones. The second HK group was composed of two Wakatake DDs. I got the first one, the second one got me.

First Wakatake

2nd Wakatake

Someone might want to take a looksie at the Wakatake in the Museum and see if this guy still looks black. The second screenie make me think the ship looks dark because it is dark, don't know.

Head Deep and Keep'em Astern" - LtCDR Samuel D Dealy
SHIV Guide | Imperial Japanese Navy | US Submarines

cdrsubron7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-16, 11:11 PM   #1427
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

@ max

I've uploaded FOTRSU_Japanese Maru to Area 51. I placed it in the WIP folder. It is in JSGME form. There is also a XL sheet I used while working on this project. It show the original names of the merchantships and the new Maru names I used plus the corrected tonnages for each ship.

I loaded it up to see if I missed anything and found a couple of mistakes which have been corrected. One nice thing I found out is that my single missions will work just fine with this mod, at least I didn't get any CTDs when trying a couple of the missions.

Old 08-20-16, 03:24 AM   #1428
max-peck
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 393
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrsubron7 View Post
I've uploaded FOTRSU_Japanese Maru to Area 51.
Got it - thanks cdrsubron7

--------------------------------------------------
Authority should derive from the consent of the governed, not from the threat of force

If the only tool you have is a hammer, pretty soon everything starts to look like a nail

FOTRS Ultimate
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=226270
The future of SH4 - coming to a PC near you soon
max-peck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-16, 04:15 AM   #1429
max-peck
Grey Wolf

On the whole - great work
You didn't miss anything

Just a couple of very minor things

1 - Your upload seemed to have a lot more stuff in it than was necessary. It had ALL the ship assets in each ship folder (in the Sea Folder).
I think you only changed the ship cfg to change the displacement, so all the other stuff you can delete

2 - Slight naming inconsistency. Most of the ships are called Something Maru. But 5 were called Something Class. eg. Biyo Class instead of Biyo Maru

I have fixed both of these issues, and uploaded a revised file to the Google drive

Called FOTRSU Japanese Maru Names - Amended

Good work Cdrsubron7

I think once RR has had a chance to take a look we can go ahead and move it into the 'Some Assembly Required' folder

Authority should derive from the consent of the governed, not from the threat of force

If the only tool you have is a hammer, pretty soon everything starts to look like a nail

FOTRS Ultimate
Old 08-20-16, 06:35 AM   #1430
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Quote:

1 - Your upload seemed to have a lot more stuff in it than was necessary. It had ALL the ship assets in each ship folder (in the Sea Folder).
I think you only changed the ship cfg to change the displacement, so all the other stuff you can delete

2 - Slight naming inconsistency. Most of the ships are called Something Maru. But 5 were called Something Class. eg. Biyo Class instead of Biyo Maru

I have fixed both of these issues, and uploaded a revised file to the Google drive

Good work Cdrsubron7

I think once RR has had a chance to take a look we can go ahead and move it into the 'Some Assembly Required' folder
Thanks for finding the inconsistencies in the mod, max. Appreciate it.

Old 08-20-16, 06:54 AM   #1431
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Quote:
Just got home a little while ago from work. Decided to head out into the Pacific and see what mischief I could get into. Patrolling south of Tokyo Bay and ran into a couple of those Hunter-Killer groups we've been talking about. The first one was a lone Minekaze which is now with Davy Jones. The second HK group was composed of two Wakatake DDs. I got the first one, the second one got me.

First Wakatake

2nd Wakatake

Someone might want to take a looksie at the Wakatake in the Museum and see if this guy still looks black. The second screenie make me think the ship looks dark because it is dark, don't know.
Are you running the anti-jackrabbit patch? How about your impressions on the difficulty of tagging the DDs?
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-16, 06:58 AM   #1432
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by max-peck View Post
On the whole - great work
You didn't miss anything

Good work Cdrsubron7

Those are beautiful and you two have become modding madmen in your own right! Now, did you name them all xxxx Maru Class, or drop the Class on all? I think they should state "Class" unless there's only one of them in the game. And we know the game will give you a Yamato a week if you send in the Wheaties box tops!

I say we mix it into the core mod and have a plugin mod to restore the inconsistent names for those who enjoy confusion! That was a ton of work in a very short time. Thanks to both you guys for amazing work!
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-16, 07:50 AM   #1433
max-peck
Grey Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
Those are beautiful and you two have become modding madmen in your own right! Now, did you name them all xxxx Maru Class, or drop the Class on all? I think they should state "Class" unless there's only one of them in the game. And we know the game will give you a Yamato a week if you send in the Wheaties box tops!

I say we mix it into the core mod and have a plugin mod to restore the inconsistent names for those who enjoy confusion! That was a ton of work in a very short time. Thanks to both you guys for amazing work!
Well - at the moment they are all named as something maru

eg
Heito Maru
Akita Maru
Bandoeng Maru
Hakusika Maru
Nagara Maru
Zinbu Maru
Taihosan Maru
Kasagisan Maru

Seems OK to me
Only the tankers, troop transports, and freighters have had their name changed
No names have been changed for any of the IJN units

However if you think we need the Class designation in the name I am sure we could accommodate that

Would just be a little text edit of the names cfg

Are you thinking eg. Heito Class Maru instead of Heito Maru

What sort of nomenclature are you thinking here RR??

PS - Cdrsubron7 did all the legwork here, looking at all the ship images and comparing them to WW2 recognition manual photographs to get a good match
I just jumped in at the last moment and tidied up the file structure a little bit

FOTRS Ultimate
Old 08-20-16, 07:51 AM   #1434
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Quote:
Are you running the anti-jackrabbit patch? How about your impressions on the difficulty of tagging the DDs?

I'll have to check and see if I have the anti-jackrabbit mod installed or not. The first two DDs were easy to take down. I was within at least 1000 yds when I fired, both times. The third one never gave me a chance to shoot, as it was alerted when his buddy sank.

Old 08-20-16, 07:59 AM   #1435
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

Quote:
We're the first people to my knowledge that discovered that the Mission Editor uses whatever mods you have loaded at the time of mission creation.
Not so boss.......some of us have known that for years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by map-peck
Most of the ships are called Something Maru.
If I'm reading you right, all ships are now called something Maru!?! So, looking through the the American side a T3 tanker is now called "something Maru?"

No way guys, don't mess up the game play that much. If you're going to throw out the use of the Recognition Manual for all sides other than the Japs then take the other sides out of the game completely. Strip the game of any other asset or function and just have sub vs Japs. Make the game only play for the American side.

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-16, 08:06 AM   #1436
max-peck
Grey Wolf

And in other news

I have finished my patrol orders rewrite

Is available in the WIP section of the Area 51 Drive
Called FOTRSU Patrol Objectives Overhaul

Does the following-
Changes the orders to read a little bit better, and give you more information
If given a patrol area order, it should draw a circle on the map to delineate the
patrol area

I will leave it in the WIP section until we have had a chance to test it, then we can move it to the assembly section.

FOTRS Ultimate
Old 08-20-16, 08:08 AM   #1437
max-peck
Grey Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnScurvy View Post

If I'm reading you right, all ships are now called something Maru!?! So, looking through the the American side a T3 tanker is now called "something Maru?"
How often do you open the recognition manual for the American ships and scroll to the T3 tanker?

I gotta be honest here Capn, that is something I have never done

Seems like a non issue to me

FOTRS Ultimate
Old 08-20-16, 08:12 AM   #1438
max-peck
Grey Wolf

DELETED

FOTRS Ultimate

Last edited by max-peck; 08-20-16 at 08:32 AM.
Old 08-20-16, 08:45 AM   #1439
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Quote:

No way guys, don't mess up the game play that much. If you're going to throw out the use of the Recognition Manual for all sides other than the Japs then take the other sides out of the game completely. Strip the game of any other asset or function and just have sub vs Japs. Make the game only play for the American side.
My thoughts on this was to make Japanese Maru an addon mod and leave the game way it is now. If the individual player wants to totality immerse himself in American sub vs Japan than he has a means to do so. I'm like max, the other nationality ships don't come into play. However I'm agreeing with CapnScurvy on this issue. Let's let the individual player make they're own decision on how they want to go. As for me I'll go with the Maru mod as it will ultimately be my choice. Either way FOTRSU is shaping up to be the best new mod around, correct?

One of my main concerns was what would happen with the missions I've already created, however after giving a few of them a trail run last night they still seem to work as intended.

Old 08-20-16, 08:54 AM   #1440
max-peck
Grey Wolf

Quote:
My thoughts on this was to make Japanese Maru an addon mod and leave the game way it is now. If the individual player wants to totality immerse himself in American sub vs Japan than he has a means to do so. I'm like max, the other nationality ships don't come into play. However I'm agreeing with CapnScurvy on this issue. Let's let the individual player make they're own decision on how they want to go. As for me I'll go with the Maru mod as it will ultimately be my choice.

One of my main concerns was what would happen with the missions I've already created, however after giving a few of them a trail run last night they still seem to work as intended.
OK - so we make it an optional addon?

That way we leave FOTRS as it is, and get the added benefit of your renaming if we choose

Sounds like a win

FOTRS Ultimate