SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Sub & Naval Discussions: World Naval News, Books, & Films
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-12-18, 05:28 PM   #1786
Subnuts
The Old Man

Downloads: 14
Uploads: 0

Another book I finished reading recently was The Design and Engineering of Curiosity: How the Mars Rover Performs Its Job by Emily Lakdawalla. It's an excellent book overall, very detailed and in-depth, which does a great job explaining how the rover and all of the scientific and chemistry instruments work. As always, I've written a review: https://www.amazon.com/review/ROAL9J...p_perm?ie=UTF8

Subnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-18, 01:36 AM   #1787
tmccarthy
Admiral

Downloads: 270
Uploads: 16

Destroyer Captain by Roger Hill

Old 06-23-18, 09:58 AM   #1788
STEED
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 48

Just starting reading..

Karl Doenitz And The Last Days Of The Third Reich

By Barry Turner

Hitler is dead and Doenitz is now President of the Reich, that's how near the end it's set.

To borrow Davros saying...I NAME YOU CHIBNALL THE DESTROYER OF DR WHO YOU KILLED IT!
STEED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-18, 09:54 AM   #1789
Subnuts
The Old Man

I've been chipping my way through ****e-Wulf Fw 200: The Condor at War 1939-1945. It's fairly interesting if extremely densely written. Seems like there aren't many books out there on the aerial aspect of the Battle of the Atlantic, so it's good to have. I also recently purchased a copy of River Gunboats: An Illustrated Encyclopedia, I'm just waiting for it to come via the slow boat from the UK. It was originally supposed to be published two years ago and is finally out. Hope it was worth the wait!

Here's a couple more reviews I've written recently:
Project Azorian: The CIA and the Raising of the K-129
Tupolev Tu-160: Soviet Strike Force Spearhead
Ilyushin Il-28 (Famous Russian Aircraft)
Grumman F-14 Tomcat (Owners' Workshop Manual)

(Seriously, the forum software censors Foc*e? )

Old 07-06-18, 07:47 PM   #1790
Subnuts
The Old Man

Bought a copy of this awesome (although I'll never have any actual use for it) book at a used bookstore in Massachusetts today for $9.

Old 07-22-18, 02:18 PM   #1791
Subnuts
The Old Man

Been reading Hitler's 'Wonder' U-Boats: The Birth of the Cold War's Hunter Killer Submarines. Pretty disappointing so far. It's a sketchy account of the design of the Type XXI and XXIII and the few successes the XXIII had at the end of the war. The chapters are fragmented, the technical details are skimpy, and the author is an obvious apologist for the Nazis (constantly reminding us that the Allies bombed civilians and that Soviet armies committed atrocities in the East while handwaving away the entire slave labor issue).

Avoid this one.

Old 07-22-18, 03:14 PM   #1792
STEED
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 48

Just started a new book..

Quote:
Berlin Soldier: An Eyewitness Account of the Fall of Berlin

by Helmut Altner

This book is an explosive memoir of a 17 year old German boy called up to fight in the last weeks of the Second World War. This is a teenager's vivid account of his experiences as a conscript during the final desperate weeks of the Third Reich, during which he experienced training immediately behind the front line east of Berlin, was caught up in the massive Soviet assault on Berlin from the Oder, retreated successfully and then took part in the fight for the western suburb of Spandau, where he became one of the only two survivors of his company of seventeen year-olds.

To borrow Davros saying...I NAME YOU CHIBNALL THE DESTROYER OF DR WHO YOU KILLED IT!
STEED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-18, 08:50 AM   #1793
Subnuts
The Old Man

Posted my review of Hitler's Wonder U-boats yesterday. It's easily one of the worst submarine books I've read in the last few years. If you're interested in the design and development of the elektroboots, skip it and hunt down a copy of Eberhard Rossler's The U-boat instead.

https://www.amazon.com/review/R3IYYB...p_perm?ie=UTF8

Old 08-02-18, 02:47 PM   #1794
Mussalo
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Finished Iron Coffins by Herbert Werner a couple weeks ago. At first the book seemed great: full of kind of action I hungered for and a true story even! After finishing it I questioned everything I just read...

Now starting Hirschfeld - The Story of a U-boat NCO. Hopefully this one is non-fiction.
Old 08-09-18, 06:57 PM   #1795
Subnuts
The Old Man

Finished reading Norman Friedman's latest and greatest tome last night. Enjoyed it a great deal, even if it isn't a totally flawless masterpiece. You can read my (rather long) review here if you're interested:

British Battleships of the Victorian Era

Old 08-10-18, 07:02 PM   #1796
jtsjc1
Swabbie

Downloads: 15

Just going to start The U-Boat War In The Caribbean.
jtsjc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-18, 10:14 AM   #1797
Subnuts
The Old Man

I've been working on this one for about a week now. It's a pretty in-depth, warts-and-all technical/operational history of an airplane which tends to be eclipsed by the B-52. Can't believe how many entered service without a proper bombing/navigation system, tail gun, or ecm gear, how much time they spent undergoing extensive modifications, the severity of the fatigue problems, and the atrocious cockpit ergonomics and division of crew workload. I know the B-47 was 10 years ahead of its time and they were pumping them out to deter the Soviets (I wonder if they knew what a troubled aircraft it was?) but it's still shocking to read about it for the first time.

Old 09-08-18, 02:07 AM   #1798
Fifi
Navy Seal

Downloads: 452

I just bought my second book about submarine (first was obviously the iconic « Das Boat » one that i readed 3 times now )
It’s the incredible history of Peter « Ali » Cremer, captain of U 333, wich should have sunk 10 times but survived the war…

Fifi is online   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-18, 07:33 AM   #1799
ET2SN
ET2/SS

Downloads: 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subnuts View Post
Bought a copy of this awesome (although I'll never have any actual use for it) book at a used bookstore in Massachusetts today for $9.

Never say never.

I wanted to try flying the old Virtavia/Alphasim B-52's in Flight Sim 2002, only flying them as accurately as possible.

That idea led me down many paths. Two books I found were a great resource when it came to decoding how the aircraft were actually operated:

Flying From The Black Hole by Robert O. Harder (available on Amazon). Mainly related to the B-52D models that flew Arclight missions, Harder also does a great job explaining some of the more basic nuts and bolts about who the crews were and what they all had to do.

When Penguins Flew And Water Burned by Jim Clonts (available at Lulu.com). Written during a later time period, Clonts flew in B-52G and H models during the post Cold War and Desert Storm period. While "Black Hole" gives a very good idea of why the crews had to be real crews, Clonts updates the story to the era when I was wearing my fish and we were all facing the "build down" period for the US military.

An eye opener and give-away is that both books were written by Navigator/Bombardiers and not Pilots (although Clonts did get to fly the beast at least once). It takes the whole crew to fly a B-52 and you quickly understand why those crews need to be tight.

My look into that rabbit hole wound up taking several years of research and effort and it was well worth it.
ET2SN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-18, 03:22 PM   #1800
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Terror of the Autumn Skies, by Blaine Pardoe.

Since the 100th anniversary of Frank Luke's epic 10-day 18-victory run begins Wednesday I decided it was time to read the newest work on the life of a figure from the Old West who won glory and met his fate in the modern world. Frank Luke, Jr. was the first pilot to be awarded the Medal of Honor.

Tags
books