SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-16-22, 04:48 AM   #1
ET2SN
ET2/SS

Downloads: 58
Uploads: 0

We had a pretty good thread on this topic but I guess its gone?

All I can really offer is:

There is nothing in the Universe more useless than a vehicle with an automatic transmission and a dead starter.

This doesn't mean everyone needs to buy an antique Jeep. The point is to really look at your "worst case" plans, if you have any, and re-think them logically. Your plans should change over time to reflect your situation.

For example- what good is a home generator if you don't know how to run or maintain it? How would you get gasoline if the gas stations have lost power?

Stockpiling rice and pasta is worthless if you can't boil water just like canned foods are worthless without a manual can opener.

Instead of hunkering down, plan on how to move quickly. Being able to move quickly is worthless without an idea of where to go. Remember that de-commissioned missile silos are prone to flooding. Always plan for things to screw up. While we're on the subject, try to keep your plans as simple as possible.

Hunting for game is fine, but what are you going to do once you drop that buck or a cow? Having 200 pounds of meat is great until it starts to rot. Learn how to make do with less.

If you're spending 36 consecutive hours defending your compound from strangers- YOU'VE ALREADY LOST. How are your People Skills? Can you build a team if it means your life depends on it?
ET2SN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-22, 05:05 AM   #2
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Bill View Post
What crops are best to grow? which crops are most nutrient rich etc.
Hirse.

Long forgotten, but in Europe's past this was THE dominant starvation-preventing crop, not wheat or any of the other.

Hirse is very interesting. It does not belong to the class of grass seeds like wheat, rye, barley, and lacks the chemical defense agents of these plants that give some people troubles, it also does not cause ATI sensitivity. It is rich in nutrients, and although it must be peeled (we cannot digest unpeeled hirse at all), it looses only that amount of its nutrient content and minerals that equal the volume of the peeled-of skin of the complete Hirse-grain, because whereas wheat has the nutrients concentrated under the skin and looses them more or less completely when peeling, the nutrients in Hirse are equally distrubuted throughout the full grain/fruit, and so you loose only a small quantity of nutrient value when peeling. Hirse is also easy to grow, I read, it needs less care and especially less water than the other crops and grains, and is more robust against heat and dryness. Its extremely versatile in the kitchen, can be used salty or sweet, soup-like or dumpling-like, and you can easily replace rice with it. Different to Quinoa and Amaranth, it does not have these Southamerican grains' typical and somewhat bitter own taste that i do not like at all, and since you can plant hirse everywhere its better for climate protection (no need to shuttle it from one continent to the next, if only we would start to farm it in bigger quantity). For cooking, you can do practically everything with it.
I love Hirse, and if I would start doomsday farming myself (I know nothing about farming...), Hirse would be my first choice for grains.

One disadvantage: Baking bread with it should prove difficult, I would expect... As I read it you must add wheat flour, hirse flour alone does not work well. Personally, i would not care at all to break bread in case of such doomsday emergency.

It currently gets farmed almost completely in Asia (China... is there aqnythign we do not depoend on China?) and a bit in africa, but sees a slow-advancing revival in Europe as well, which i absolutely welcome.

As a matter of fact I have a rich reserve of Hirse in my clever-prepper-doomsday-cellar. Becasue that alöso is an advanatge: it is easy to store and last longs. You only need a cup pf hot water do prepare, you waste much less water than for boiling potatoes or pasta, for example, like rice cooking the you need only a small quantity of water and it gets completely consummed, and you must not boil it all the time. Heat it up once and then switch it off and leave it alone. Works with milk as well, if need be.

You may have realised it by now: Im a great fan of hirse.

Last edited by Skybird; 10-16-22 at 05:19 AM.
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-22, 09:03 AM   #3
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

Default A Psychological experiment

This experiment is based on ET2SN comment in our "Your Ideal Doomsday Survival Situation/Prepper Thread"

Prolog. A major disaster has killed millions of people around the world.
In a little suburban town only a few has survived the first 3 days and they are 6 in numbers

You are one of them.

Start test:

The situation is as follow-No water, no electricity and no electronic, food well here's the
Problem it's enough canned food for 6 month IF one of these 6 survivor leaves the group.
Which mean they would have enough until late spring the following year. Otherwise they would only
have enough to beginning of March.

Lets concentrate on these 6 adult survivors

1. You.(With the education or skills you have, would it benefit this group ?)
2. Person number 2. Female Educated nurse and she is 35 years old.
3. Person number 3. Male Educated painter 55 years old.
4. Person number 4. Male Educated Woodworker 29 years old
5. Person number 5. Female Educated veterian 40 years old
6. Person number 6. Female Educated-None she is 25 years old but are retarded with a mind of a 10 years
old person-She is being taken care of by person number 2, the 35 years old nurse.

So here is the unwanted question-Test if you want.

Which one of these 6 shall leave the group ???

To use ET2SN own word-There's no right or wrong in the text/experiment.

A REMINDER..some may write something you may dislike...count to hundred or ignore this person.

To Jim-Feel free to remove this thread if it goes out of control.

Let the discussion begin.

I as I am as a person would leave..I would try to find a place to live where there's food and water. but that's me. I'm an educated Electrician and have even skills in woodworking.

Markus

My little lovely female cat
mapuc is online   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-22, 09:11 AM   #4
Shady Bill
Silent but not deadly

Downloads: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapuc View Post

3. Person number 3. Male Educated painter 55 years old.

6. Person number 6. Female Educated-None she is 25 years old but are retarded with a mind of a 10 years old person-She is being taken care of by person number 2, the 35 years old nurse.

So here is the unwanted question-Test if you want.

Which one of these 6 shall leave the group ???

I am actually very big on the Arts. I think without the Arts we would be savages. That having been said, #3 will be dead before nightfall.

The whole thought experiment took a twisted turn with number 6. I will say, I considered killing off the girl, since she clearly will slow us down. But then we will have become monsters, and there is no more need for us to survive.

Yea...I would kill the artist.

Wait..do we send them away or do they have to be killed?

p.s. if you mean by "painter" someone who does walls and such. Still go with number 3.
Shady Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-22, 09:13 AM   #5
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Bill View Post
Wait..do we send them away or do they have to be killed?
We send them away or kick them out of the group and let them go into unknown certainty. We aren't not that much inhuman.

Yes painting wall etc.

Markus

Old 10-18-22, 09:18 AM   #6
Shady Bill
Silent but not deadly

Downloads: 16

Yea, makes sense.

Still bachelor #3 though. He would have decent chance of surviving on his own. Not sure if painting is a highly usable skill in a survival setting.
Shady Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-22, 09:27 AM   #7
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Drawing lots or murdeirng soembody for an ending 6 months away?

There were planes crashing in desolate places where survivors ended up eating the dead to survive. Grim, but true stories. But they did not make that decision several weeks ahead, but at the most desperate and last moment.

I fear your setup for your mindgame is a too unrealistic as if it would make sense to me.
Old 10-18-22, 09:30 AM   #8
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Let me reveal something for you.

It started when I read ET2SN first comment about this group and who should be the group leader...When reading it something happened in the backside of my brain...Deja Vú maybe..
Until today some hours ago I suddenly remember it.

We have to go back to the middle of the 90s I was Taking a extra education on my electricity education.

The first 4 weeks was most theory and there we had group work and our teacher Gave us a paper.

A psychological experiment.
Here it was 6 on a little island with sharks in the water-no boats what so ever and the wood had to be used for campfire. Even here we had to discuss who should be thrown into the water.

Oh Man did we have a discussion or not.

That's why I wrote this Reminder and asking Jim to remove this thread if it's goes out of control.

I HOPE it wouldn't go so far

Tags
doomsday, prepper, preppers, survival