Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 02-26-10, 12:27 PM   #1591
Dutch
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 19
Uploads: 0

Absolutely not a necessary evil.

That would be the same as every time you walk into the bank to withdraw your money that the security guard shoots you in the leg because after all there are bank robbers and you might be that guy.

DRM is about as necessary as that.
Old 02-26-10, 12:28 PM   #1592
SeaSprite
Watch

Downloads: 17

Talking about DRM, although we didn't call it that back then, who rememebrs the old manual approach? Look up page 4, line 6 word 4 and type that in? Remember how annoying it was if someone had lost their manual, or it had been destroyed, but these were circumvented too.

Oh yes, we had large manuals back then too...
Old 02-26-10, 12:29 PM   #1593
Topcat357
Swabbie

Downloads: 26

Good ideas...I know other types of games are also using downloadable content to verify game installation and encourage folks to buy the game.

TC357
Old 02-26-10, 12:30 PM   #1594
SeaSprite
Watch

Downloads: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
Absolutely not a necessary evil.

That would be the same as every time you walk into the bank to withdraw your money that the security guard shoots you in the leg because after all there are bank robbers and you might be that guy.

DRM is about as necessary as that.
Actually it maybe more like you going on a flight nowadays and having to take your shoes off, or be subjected to a body scan because you might just be a terrorist...
Old 02-26-10, 12:32 PM   #1595
Dutch
Sonar Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaSprite View Post
Actually it maybe more like you going on a flight nowadays and having to take your shoes off, or be subjected to a body scan because you might just be a terrorist...
But see I actually find that reasonable.

If it hurts you to take off your shoes then there is something wrong with you.
Old 02-26-10, 12:33 PM   #1596
Topcat357
Swabbie

@ Dutch

lol...perhaps more like going to the airport and being made to wait in long lines and being made to walk thru a scanner that shows your nude body to all the workers looking at the screen....then having the terrorist get on the flight anyway.

TC357
Old 02-26-10, 12:33 PM   #1597
Dutch
Sonar Guy

Hey I got two post in before this was thrown into the Gawd Alimighty DRM thread to die.

Looks like it took about 5 minutes.
Old 02-26-10, 12:38 PM   #1598
Lio
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Personaly i hope SH5 will be pirated to hell and back. I hope it will be the death of the SH series and Ubisoft all together. We are talking about a game not some piece of thousend dollar software that cures AIDS and cancer. Piracy is overrated. I cant remember the last time any of my friends mentioned they downloaded a game from the internet.
If companys release good software and support it people will buy it.
That way they get access to extra content and support.

I own all SH games. But will not be buying SH5.

This moronic DRM can go **** itself.

I wish all the folks out there a happy time cracking it!

Old 02-26-10, 12:43 PM   #1599
Nick Holden
Swabbie

Downloads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiplord View Post
will this be the new DRM system for SH5 also?
http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/news/52...rything-Online
Sadly, yes.
Old 02-26-10, 12:55 PM   #1600
Topcat357
Swabbie

@ Lio

- 4% of gamers (6 million) have pirated games
“Piracy, defined for this report as downloading files through Peer-to-Peer (P2P) networks, is small relative to the music industry. However, 4 percent of gamers, representing just over 6 million consumers, indicated that they downloaded files from P2P networks, with 72 percent of pirated downloads occurring for PC/Mac” – report statement

Obviously stats can be skewed in either direction, but I dont think prirating is overrated. I think your friends are still pirating games and I think that they are the direct cause of this unpopular DRM! Please tell your friends to stop stealing our games so we can have a DRM-free world.

:P

TC357
Old 02-26-10, 01:31 PM   #1601
LZBTD
Seaman

Downloads: 33
Default Yippee what a !!!!!

What’s with all this whingeing about UBI’s new DRM about, I mean…..!! wait a cotton pickin’ minute, Did you say a PERMANENT internet connection to play the game? (Deathly cold feeling and shudders in horror). I haven’t visited the forums for a while and I thought I would check on the upcoming SH5 and what did I find ?... Subsim and UBI forums in meltdown over UBI’s DRM. I concur with virtually all of the objections mentioned on both forums (there seems to be a majority consensus) I did however did see a problem that as far as I can see has not yet been mentioned. Allow me to elucidate, I currently have SH3,4 Far Cry 2 and AC1 on my hard drive. With FC2 and AC1 my Kaspersky Internet Security Suite affects both games ie stuttering and sound problems, so I disable it for the duration of play. IF UBI think I’m going to disable my internet security to play their games they got another think coming.
Incidentally I was about to pre-order SH5 and have cancelled AC2 until further notice.
Old 02-26-10, 01:46 PM   #1602
DeepIron
Sea Lord

Downloads: 0

SH5 didn't make my "must buy" list, mostly due to their continuance in the DRM issue. I'm frankly tired of all this DRM rubbish and the rhetoric and arguments that prop it up...

Put the disk in the drive to play. There are effective copy-protection schemes that can make it impossible, or at the least, very difficult to crack a disk that's been physically encoded. If that isn't good enough, increase the price a bit and include a USB dongle.

I still have a very sour taste in my mouth from all the problems I had getting SH4 to authenticate, blah, blah, blah on my XP-64 system...

Ubisoft was less than helpful and I eventually abandoned playing SH4 altogether.

Cheers.
RFB Loadout: RFB_V1.52_102408: RFB_V1.52_Patch_111608: RSRDC_RFBv15_V396
Old 02-26-10, 02:18 PM   #1603
The Enigma
Seer of visions

Downloads: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaSprite View Post

And for this idiotic and overreacted measurements I don't travel by planes any longer.

Old 02-26-10, 02:29 PM   #1604
Lio
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Enigma View Post
And for this idiotic and overreacted measurements I don't travel by planes any longer.
My life wont end by not playing Ubisoft games. And not that i agree anymore with DRM then i do with the obscene measures taken againts terrorist where people happily throw all there personal liberties out the window. But i try and affect that also... just as i dont buy Ubisoft games so that i dont support em, neither do i vote for facist parties at elections who wanna turn my country into a police state.

Old 02-26-10, 02:32 PM   #1605
The Enigma
Seer of visions

Downloads: 31

@Lio

My life wont end either, it's just a game I'm not able to play.
No more no less.

Closed Thread