SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-15-15, 12:24 PM   #1
CaptainHaplo
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 0

Not sure what your doing, but setting default programs - including internet browsers (Edge vs Firefox for example) is popcorn easy.

I do have a few minor issues with W10 regarding privacy - actually just one since it requires a reg hack to fully disable - but it is easy to turn stuff off. You just have to be willing to do it.

If your going to complain about M$ - you need to complain about a lot of other companies who install things by default and have default options that you have to "opt out" of. I am no M$ fanboy. You simply need to be consistent rather than targeted in your criticism.

Captain Haplo
CaptainHaplo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-15, 11:27 AM   #2
avers
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 586

Nvmd, games runnin smooth today.
avers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-15, 06:01 AM   #3
joea
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 25
wolf_howl15

My computer is five years old, until I hear SH3/GWX, SH4, Il2-46 and Steel Fury run well on Windows 10 I won't upgrade.
joea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-15, 08:08 AM   #4
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

I'm running SH3 and SH4 just fine, no problems. I didn't have to reinstall either one.

I don't play the others.
Old 08-03-15, 08:32 AM   #5
XabbaRus
Navy Seal

Downloads: 5

Well I have had Windows 10 a couple of days. In fact I prefer it over 8.1 in that it has done away with the Metro layout, unless you decide to use tablet mode which on a PC or Laptop is pointless. I like that the start menu is back and more or less resembles Windows 7. I don't know why some people are complaining about the phone icons. I removed most from my start menu.

I also only use a local account not an MS one as I don't want to be connected to the cloud and I don't trust MS not to be sniffing at what I do regardless of how much I have turned off.

None of my games work.

Dangerous Waters doesn't work, Medieval 2 Total War doesn't work. Well they load but I get no graphics and can hear the music.

Battlezone which ran fine under Windows 8.1 just doesn't run at all. Apart from that I like it.
Old 08-21-15, 08:09 AM   #6
STEED
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 48

Last night I was wondering why is Microsoft giving away Widows 10 free, its been my experience in life you don't get anything for free its a illusion. Like shop bargains like BOGOF's it is the business of a shop to make money which in turn is profit and the same goes for Microsoft. So I'm left wondering is there some sort of sinister agenda of some sort?

Problem is if it is how do we know and how do we find out and how do we separate facts from fiction?

Ponder over that when your next drinking tea or coffee on a winters night.

To borrow Davros saying...I NAME YOU CHIBNALL THE DESTROYER OF DR WHO YOU KILLED IT!
STEED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-15, 09:27 AM   #7
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEED View Post
Last night I was wondering why is Microsoft giving away Widows 10 free, its been my experience in life you don't get anything for free its a illusion. Like shop bargains like BOGOF's it is the business of a shop to make money which in turn is profit and the same goes for Microsoft. So I'm left wondering is there some sort of sinister agenda of some sort?
They're only giving it away free to people who have already paid for an earlier version. Anyone building their own computer will have to buy it, and though I'm sure it is discounted for bulk rates companies offering it with new PCs have to pay. My guess is that they're worried about losses due to the flak over Windows 8 and want to get as many good reports as they can for future sales.

Quote:
Problem is if it is how do we know and how do we find out and how do we separate facts from fiction?
We don't. It does remind me of a funny memory from long ago. When the birth-control pill became available in 1960 there was one newspaper columnist who made a joke about long-term side effects. "What if twenty years from now everybody who takes these suddenly grows a third leg or something?"

While there may be unexpected consequences arising from Windows 10, I doubt there is anything intentionally sinister going on. And if there is? Well, I'm old and don't mind playing the guinea pig.

On a related note I was offered and downloaded the latest version of Classic Shell, fine-tuned for Windows 10.
Old 08-21-15, 09:57 AM   #8
Raptor1
Navy Seal

Downloads: 13

This looks like the Microsoft Corporation's standard policy. Get as many people to use Windows 10 as fast as possible to make its new features adopted as early as they can, thereby breaking compatibility with older versions of the operating system in any software that uses them and causing more people to upgrade.

Windows 10 also happens to feature Microsoft's ever increasing attempts to restrict control of the operating system's functions to users, not to mention their infamous data collection nonsense, so they benefit from more people moving to it in those regards as well.
Old 08-21-15, 04:55 PM   #9
HW3
Navy Seal

Downloads: 453

Quote:
They're only giving it away free to people who have already paid for an earlier version.
Only for the first year of the release of Windows 10. The end of July next year it will cost you.

"Some ships are designed to sink...others require our assistance." Nathan Zelk
HW3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-15, 07:54 AM   #10
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Default How to cure Windows 10's worst headaches

How to cure Windows 10's worst headaches
http://www.pcworld.com/article/29752...headaches.html

Of special interest to me,
Quote:
Windows 10 home users are now pretty much required to accept and install updates at the time and choosing of Microsoft. This can be disastrous if you get a bad update that bricks your system or puts it in an endless reboot cycle, or if you have to download updates on a metered connection.

Luckily, there are solutions for both.
Old 09-19-15, 01:09 PM   #11
avers
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 586

Hey guys, I'm having trouble with sh3, whenever I choose a folder in my E drive, I get a pop up sayin that this folder is not complete or invalid. What can I do to fix this?
avers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-15, 06:15 AM   #12
DragonRider
Predator of the sea

Downloads: 6

How To Get Rid Of That Dam Windows 10 Upgrade Icon and Files
(If You Have Them On Your System)

Firstly Click the start menu and then select the Windows Update option.
Once on the Update page Select the view update history on the left hand side of the page.
At the top of the page you will see a "Review your update history" section within this section you will see the words "installed updates" highlighted in the text click on this.
Once you are in the Uninstall an Update screen scroll down until you find the entry which reads "Update for Microsoft Windows (KB3035583)" just click this then click Uninstall and there you go or rather there it goes.
After a restart the icon will be gone however to make sure it stays gone click the start menu and then again open Windows update look down any available Update for the file "Update for Microsoft Windows (KB3035583)"
Then right click it and select Hide Update then if you change your mind and want it back as you miss it so much you can just select restore hidden updates which is also available within the Widows update option.
So there you go peace of mind about that nasty little Windows 10 update .
Old 09-28-15, 03:14 PM   #13
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

DragonRider, that's the way to remove the first nagware/spyware installation but there have been more since. As far as Microsoft is concerned this is not an update that you have a right to refuse. I found and publicized your method the very day the nagware/spyware taskbar malware came out. However on my machine the icon and spyware are back in spite of the fact that KB3035583 is uninstalled and hidden from future installation. Hows that for thumbs up "peace of mind in our time?" That's pure fiction.

Not only will the nagware return, but Microsoft is installing the objectionable parts of Windows 10, the spyware, into Windows 7, 8 and 8.1. Further, it's very likely that without your knowledge or consent, Microsoft has downloaded the entirety of Window's 10, over 4 GB, onto your computer !

Microsoft is not concerned with respecting our rights, choices, preferences or consent. They just don't care how offensive their thuggish behavior is. That is troubling.

The trouble with GWX is that it is a trojan horse, executing encrypted instructions sent to it by Microsoft. Some have all the Windows 10 files downloaded to their computer, in spite of the fact that they refused the upgrade. Some, who want Windows 10 (God help them for they know not what they do) do not have the files on their machines. Some, like me, who eliminated the first installation of GWX, have it back again against their wills. What Microsoft's motivation is, besides insulting its customers and asking to be prosecuted for conversion, is unfathomable. If they were to brainstorm a strategy by an enemy to make them a hated entity, this would be the method. Microsoft is demonstrating utter contempt for its customers. They deserve our distrust.

http://betanews.com/2015/09/11/remov...nd-windows-8-x
http://www.ghacks.net/2015/08/28/mic...and-8-systems/
http://www.extremetech.com/computing...to-windows-7-8
http://betanews.com/2015/08/13/windo...ivacy-settings
http://money.cnn.com/2015/07/31/tech...ter/index.html

Read carefully. Make up your own mind. Windows 10 is malware, originated for the purpose of exploiting you.

Last edited by Rockin Robbins; 09-28-15 at 03:54 PM.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-15, 06:02 PM   #14
vienna
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85

<O>
Old 09-29-15, 07:06 AM   #15
DragonRider
Predator of the sea

Downloads: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
DragonRider, that's the way to remove the first nagware/spyware installation but there have been more since. As far as Microsoft is concerned this is not an update that you have a right to refuse. I found and publicized your method the very day the nagware/spyware taskbar malware came out. However on my machine the icon and spyware are back in spite of the fact that KB3035583 is uninstalled and hidden from future installation. Hows that for thumbs up "peace of mind in our time?" That's pure fiction.

Not only will the nagware return, but Microsoft is installing the objectionable parts of Windows 10, the spyware, into Windows 7, 8 and 8.1. Further, it's very likely that without your knowledge or consent, Microsoft has downloaded the entirety of Window's 10, over 4 GB, onto your computer !

Microsoft is not concerned with respecting our rights, choices, preferences or consent. They just don't care how offensive their thuggish behavior is. That is troubling.

The trouble with GWX is that it is a trojan horse, executing encrypted instructions sent to it by Microsoft. Some have all the Windows 10 files downloaded to their computer, in spite of the fact that they refused the upgrade. Some, who want Windows 10 (God help them for they know not what they do) do not have the files on their machines. Some, like me, who eliminated the first installation of GWX, have it back again against their wills. What Microsoft's motivation is, besides insulting its customers and asking to be prosecuted for conversion, is unfathomable. If they were to brainstorm a strategy by an enemy to make them a hated entity, this would be the method. Microsoft is demonstrating utter contempt for its customers. They deserve our distrust.

http://betanews.com/2015/09/11/remov...nd-windows-8-x
http://www.ghacks.net/2015/08/28/mic...and-8-systems/
http://www.extremetech.com/computing...to-windows-7-8
http://betanews.com/2015/08/13/windo...ivacy-settings
http://money.cnn.com/2015/07/31/tech...ter/index.html

Read carefully. Make up your own mind. Windows 10 is malware, originated for the purpose of exploiting you.
Dear Sir I am sorry to read you are still having trouble with the Windows 10 Icon and Files.
I myself have not had any return of the icon however after reading your post I decided to recheck my own system.
The hard drive usage has not increased more than 30mb which is a download I did today.
Ok lets dig down a bit No C:\Windows\syswow64\gwx files found.
And maybe the amd64 files nope all say empty and ah wow64_microsoft-windows-gwx 31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7601.18915_none_18f3f42da140f bf8 this is an empty folder as all the folders in the group are.
Ok lets research a bit here is say that if you did install Windows 10 and the rolled back to what you were using before this can leave Windows 10 files on your system.
And also if you said yes to the upgrade but then never let it finish the install that also leave the files on your system.
Well I hope you get it fixed but for now my system is still clear of Windows 10

Tags
windows