SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

View Poll Results: Sub Pinups and picks
Use both high and low resolution files 5 18.52%
Use only high resolution files 18 66.67%
Use a mix of art and photos 9 33.33%
Use just art and just photos 3 11.11%
Don't even bother 1 3.70%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-05-11, 03:33 PM   #1
fred8615
Saint of the seas

Downloads: 265
Uploads: 127
[POLL] Sub Pinups and Pics

I'm currently working on changing the art pinups and the two soldier photos inside the subs in SH4. I don't know about you guys, but I'm getting tired of looking at the same thing all the time, especially because making matters worse is that all the subs except the S class use the same three interior files (the S boats have their own file, but no pinup or pics are visible inside).

I'm modifying my randomizer program so you can have a set chosen for a specific sub type before playing. But there's one catch. Which files that are used depends on if you're using high resolution or not. The high res files are twice the dimensions of the low res ones. My program is a converted .bat file, and there's no way to resize the high res images down to the proper size in it without using a third party program. So if anyone is using low res for whatever reason, I'd either have to include both versions in any sets I create, or they would have to do without.

So the first question is, do I need to include low and high res versions, or can I just concentrate on the high res?

The second question is not as important, but I do want to know what ya'll prefer. On the subs, they use one art pinup, viewable in various locations depending on the sub, and the two soldier photos, which are only visible in the control room (on boats using the Porpoise interior, only one photo is used. In the Salmon interior, both are used, but one is partially obstructed).

I intend to use both types from my Captain's Desk Photos mods as well as a possible new set, but the question is, should I keep the original setup of one art image and two photos (which I personally prefer, if it makes any difference), or go with just art and just photos?

I'm going to leave this poll open ended. I'm also going to post this poll on the UBISoft forum and on Silent Hunter Mods, so if you're also a member on one or both of those, please only vote once.

Feel free to discuss, suggest, or ask questions if you want.
fred8615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-11, 04:11 PM   #2
Armistead
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 364
Uploads: 0

You know we want gals in swimwear...

My wife modeled swimwear for Victoria Secret...guess early 90's and I changed the poster to that. Somewhere in all the mod changes I lost it and can't remember how I did it, had to convert files, etc...

Anyway we can load our own in you program and they will pop up in random. I just switched one out when I did it.
Armistead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-11, 04:15 PM   #3
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

I didn't vote since I have no idea or opinion that would be valid. But I like the idea and look forward to it.

Just so Neal doesn't get you first, it's spelled "y'all".
Old 08-05-11, 05:14 PM   #4
fred8615
Saint of the seas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armistead View Post
You know we want gals in swimwear...

My wife modeled swimwear for Victoria Secret...guess early 90's and I changed the poster to that. Somewhere in all the mod changes I lost it and can't remember how I did it, had to convert files, etc...

Anyway we can load our own in you program and they will pop up in random. I just switched one out when I did it.
Yeah, if you can edit and save the dds files you can create your own and the program will let you use them.

Last edited by fred8615; 08-11-11 at 07:38 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-11-11, 04:31 AM   #5
I'm goin' down
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 813

fred, you aim at our senses. Music files to make us deaf sooner and pics that are intended to slowly blind us. I have already had to get rid of the bowling pins my girlfriend threw at me.
I'm goin' down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-11, 07:42 AM   #6
fred8615
Saint of the seas

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm goin' down View Post
fred, you aim at our senses. Music files to make us deaf sooner and pics that are intended to slowly blind us. I have already had to get rid of the bowling pins my girlfriend threw at me.
Wait'll you see that "possible new set" I'm thinking about doing.
Old 08-11-11, 04:29 PM   #7
HMCS
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 186

I've never liked the stock pinups; they look like Elvgren pinups that actually date from the 1950's. I was thinking on putting up a mod that has period correct ones- particularly the ones from the Armed Services magazines of the period and from the Esquire Magazines- i.e. Vargas pinups.

Mods Loaded:TMO 2.2, RSRDC, MaxOptics, Strategic Map Symbols, Stop The Shouting
OR:
RFB, RSRDC, Maxoptics, SCAF, Strategic Map Symbols and the sanity-saving "stop the shouting".
HMCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-11, 05:05 PM   #8
razark
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 393
Uploads: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMCS View Post
I've never liked the stock pinups; they look like Elvgren pinups that actually date from the 1950's. I was thinking on putting up a mod that has period correct ones- particularly the ones from the Armed Services magazines of the period and from the Esquire Magazines- i.e. Vargas pinups.
Old 08-12-11, 08:07 AM   #9
fred8615
Saint of the seas

Quote:
Actually the stock game pinups are all by Al Buell. His career was from the 1930s to the '60s, so it's possible the images used are post war.

Just FYI, I have copies of all but one of the game pinups in my Buell CDP set.
Old 08-12-11, 09:44 AM   #10
HMCS
Sonar Guy

I stand corrected. Al Buell.

Where is your mod to be found? And if someone recalls the USN's service magazine of WW2, that would help. I know the soldiers read "Yank" but not sure what the navy got to read. "Stars And Stripes", I suppose.

EDIT: I found "All Hands", but it looks like it's first publishing date was 1944. Unfortunately it's a "bulletin" more than a full on service men's magazine, as "Yank" certainly was.

Yank Magazine Pinup of MM: Very nice. This is what I'm thinking about. I also have a link to a 'retro erotica' site that has reams of hi res nudie pinups for the captains who are not prudish.

Gloria DeHaven.

OR:
RFB, RSRDC, Maxoptics, SCAF, Strategic Map Symbols and the sanity-saving "stop the shouting".

Last edited by HMCS; 08-12-11 at 10:03 AM.
Old 08-12-11, 11:10 AM   #11
I'm goin' down
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 813

when I was a kid, my dad, a former Marine who saw action on Saipan, had the famous Playboy centerfold of Marilyn Monroe inside the door to the cabinet where we kept the telepnone book. It lasted a week. My mother took it down.
I'm goin' down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-11, 12:33 PM   #12
fred8615
Saint of the seas

Quote:
I stand corrected. Al Buell.

Where is your mod to be found?
It's available here in the SH4 downloads in the Graphics/Pinups section. It's the Captain's Desk Photos 27 set. You can also click the link in my sig for other download locations.

Quote:
I also have a link to a 'retro erotica' site that has reams of hi res nudie pinups for the captains who are not prudish.
Well, I guess this is as good a time as any to let the cat out of the bag. That "possible new set" I mentioned in the poll post is exactly that: nudie pics.

When I was getting the pics for my loading screen background mod, I came across the topless art pinup one sub had. And it occurred to me that subs could, and did, have stuff that was way more risque than the office would. So I started looking for nude pics. I figured I should be able to find *some* on the Internet.

I too found a site that specialized in the old stuff, and grabbed about 8000+. That not only includes the '40s, but before and after too. They don't have specific dates, so I can only remove the most obvious post war ones. My only question now is whether to do them first, or the SFW sets first.

PM me the link you have. I might take a look at it too.
Old 08-12-11, 08:59 PM   #13
HMCS
Sonar Guy

Yes, I found your mod. Nice work; I've replaced the Captain's desk photos before and was thinking on something different.

I was wondering about replacing the pinups on the submarine interior(s). They appear to be part of the internal .dds files. Much more challenging than replacing the desk photos,

OR:
Old 08-13-11, 09:07 PM   #14
FADM Gryphon
Lieutenant

Downloads: 97
Uploads: 1

Fred what are the names of the files and where are they it has been so long since I messed with the Captain's photo's and pin ups I don't remember where they are.

Home of the Unorthodox Naval Shipyard
FADM Gryphon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-11, 02:19 PM   #15
HMCS
Sonar Guy

Captain's desk photo is SH4\data\CaptainPicture

The sub's interior pinups are in various files in textures.

SH4\data\textures\TlowRes\tex

and

SH4\data\textures\TNormal\tex

I have them all sorted out - but what I want to know is what's the difference/function of having two different sets?

OR: