Closed Thread

Old 01-26-10, 11:40 AM   #46
JackAubrey
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 19
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETR3(SS) View Post
This just occurred to me and thought I'd share my thought...
Now we know why Alex could not comment this.

Aubrey
-- -.-- / .... --- ...- . .-. -.-. .-. .- ..-. - / .. ... / ..-. ..- .-.. .-.. / --- ..-. / . . .-.. ...

Old 01-26-10, 11:44 AM   #47
LtCmdrMaverick
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

I live in the Uk and where I live I don't even have GAS, so a stable internet connection is something that I dream of. In the last 4 weeks I have lost my internet connection on three occasions sometimes for 3 days. I then have to resort to a 'dongle' or through my mobile phone, neither of which are the best for a stable internet connection.

So now THEY are going to dictate to me that if I do not stay connected to the internet, then they WON'T let me play the game which I bought legitimately.

I have been asking them for 8 weeks now about whether the game would be connected to their Uplay system and they have refused to answer suggesting they were not prepared to discuss it 'yet'. No wonder, they had something worse up their sleeves.

A One sub, 1943 ending, internet required sim is fast becoming ....

'Shove it where the sun don't shine sim'.....(and that is the cleaned up version for the respect I have for this forum).

Maverick

Old 01-26-10, 11:48 AM   #48
Arclight
Navy Seal

Location: Land of windmills, tulips, wooden shoes and cheese. Lots of cheese.
Downloads: 53
Uploads: 10

*sigh* Confirmed: Ubisoft's PC Games Will Soon Require An Internet Connection

I'm going off to cry in a corner now.

Contritium praecedit superbia.
Old 01-26-10, 11:53 AM   #49
SteamWake
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackAubrey View Post
Now we know why Alex could not comment this.
Im pretty sure that the actual developers are aghast at this.

He was wise to not make any comment but now that the cat is out of the bag...

Two things...

I wouldent be tossing out statements like "2/3's of my games are cracked" or "you can crack it this way or that". If you want to conduct nefarious buisness keep it to yourself or suffer the consiquences.

Secondly I surely hope that this topic is in error and all this excitement is over nothing.
Old 01-26-10, 11:55 AM   #50
ParaB
Chief

Downloads: 16

That's it for me.

No Silent Hunter V.

A shame, since so far I've bought ALL games of the series.

I also have quite a bit of sympathy for the publishers in the days of high-speed internet, and I detest pirates who are not willing to spend money for the work of others. But THIS is going too far!

My savegames are stored ONLINE only? And I have to be logged into some crappy UBI online server all the time? F*ck that! I don't want to install SH5 on 8 dozen computers! I want to install it on ONE PC, then play it whenever I want! And I want my save files on MY PC!

God, I haven't been angry about a PC game like that for a VERY long time. But if UBI thinks I'll eat that kind of crap and say thank you, they are VERY wrong.

Here's a lost sale from a VERY disappointed customer. And I will buy NO UBISoft game in the future with this kind of DRM.

Old 01-26-10, 11:56 AM   #51
Seeadler
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 169

Another question comes in my mind.

What about modding for game with a permanent online connection just for authentication and saving data on external server space? What is checked when you alter files through modding?
Old 01-26-10, 12:00 PM   #52
Gilbou
Chief

Downloads: 152

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteamWake View Post
Im pretty sure that the actual developers are aghast at this.

He was wise to not make any comment but now that the cat is out of the bag...

Two things...

I wouldent be tossing out statements like "2/3's of my games are cracked" or "you can crack it this way or that". If you want to conduct nefarious buisness keep it to yourself or suffer the consiquences.

Secondly I surely hope that this topic is in error and all this excitement is over nothing.
I don't care. I own for each game an original copy.
And knowing the laws in France, they would have a lot of trouble explaning why a legally bought game cannot be played on legally sold hardware...
You see. The PC you buy is legally sold. The game is sold for PC. So if you cannot play a legally bought game on a legally bought PC on the market the seller is at fault. We have a lot of nice laws here in France to protect the consumer, to a degree far higher than in the US for example... We have people that sued and won against huge stores that have been forced not only to refund Windows because it's was considered a "joint sell" (which law forbids in France : you cannot legally tie a sale to another but have to separate each product and the consumer is free to only buy the PC without the operating system if he chooses to and the store is legally obligated to refund the Windows at its stand-alone price EVEN if the Windows pre-installed is valued 0 euro with the PC package. Neat huh ?)

I have bought legally games that do not play on legally acquired hardware. They are at fault and I am being very nice not suing their asses of about it. That's why they won't do anything because here in France, they know they will lose with very bad publicity.
Old 01-26-10, 12:00 PM   #53
Lanzfeld
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arclight View Post
*sigh* Confirmed: Ubisoft's PC Games Will Soon Require An Internet Connection

I'm going off to cry in a corner now.
Not really. We still dont know for SURE if this will be for SHV.
Old 01-26-10, 12:01 PM   #54
Kapitanleutnant
Frogman

Downloads: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaB View Post
And I will buy NO EA game in the future with this kind of DRM.
Ubisoft!
Old 01-26-10, 12:03 PM   #55
TDK1044
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 25

We must keep in mind, Guys, that Ubisoft has only confirmed that online DRM is the way forward for them. It's possible that SHV will be one of the last games to be produced by that Publisher without online DRM.

I totally agree with the consensus here though. The thought of a buggy game at release, and us having to log onto Ubisoft servers to play it kills the deal for me.
Old 01-26-10, 12:04 PM   #56
ParaB
Chief

Downloads: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapitanleutnant View Post
Ubisoft!
Ah, yeah! Sorry, mind slipped!

BTW that new DRM has been confirmed by an UBI employee on the official german forum. Chances of SH5 actually NOT having that DRM are rather slim at this point.
Old 01-26-10, 12:07 PM   #57
Kapitanleutnant
Frogman

Downloads: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDK1044 View Post
We must keep in mind, Guys, that Ubisoft has only confirmed that online DRM is the way forward for them. It's possible that SHV will be one of the last games to be produced by that Publisher without online DRM.
I think the community manager on the German forum already confirmed SH5 will use this system.
Old 01-26-10, 12:08 PM   #58
Gatt
Watch

Downloads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDK1044 View Post

I totally agree with the consensus here though. The thought of a buggy game at release, and us having to log onto Ubisoft servers to play it kills the deal for me.
Its confirmed in the UBI german forum by an UBI guy.
Read at the link posted in the page before.
Sad, first SH I probably wont buy.

OPS!
Old 01-26-10, 12:08 PM   #59
TDK1044
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 25

Well, I enjoyed SHIII and SHIV.....modded of course, but this statement ends my commitment to the franchise.

Silent Hunter 5 includes our new online services: You can install your game on as many computers, your savegames are stored online and you can retrieve it from anywhere and will play on any DVD / CD longer needed in the drive. To ensure this, the game must be linked with the Ubi.com, and the PC must be connected during the entire season with the Internet.

All good things must come to an end I guess...
Old 01-26-10, 12:09 PM   #60
SteamWake
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapitanleutnant View Post
I think the community manager on the German forum already confirmed SH5 will use this system.
Heh... and?

I confirm global warming is a hoax...

We will just have to wait and see I guess. I can tell you this much ... no pre-order from me.

Wow this thread is moving fast... Never mind