SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-26-10, 08:38 AM   #16
ddrgn
Korvettenkapitän

Downloads: 362
Uploads: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Jack Harkness View Post
For some reason with this mod my sub has trouble maintaining depth. It always ends up overshooting dives by up to 10 meters before coming back up to around 2-4 meters below the ordered depth with a slightly nose-up attitude, as if it's fighting negative bouyancy.
Thanks. I am working on 1.2. getting the same issues you see.

I recommend sticking with 1.0 until I get this fixed up today.

Last edited by ddrgn; 04-26-10 at 02:10 PM.
ddrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-10, 02:27 PM   #17
ddrgn
Korvettenkapitän

Default 1.2 released

Initial sea trials were flawed and we had some trouble maintaining depths on all boats.

Discovered a new ratio to use for mass and displacement and have tested it on all boats with a more vigorous testing procedure.

The type VIIA,B,C will maintain depth at 100m when diving and 150 meter when crash diving.

Note: That in stock the VIIA is broken and will not maintain depth below 75 or more, this is fixed in this mod.

Type VIIC/41 maintains depth at 100m when diving and 170m when crash diving.

After all these changes we are still able to keep a nice rolling more accurate look to the submarines movement through the waves.

Change information and the link to download 1.2 is in the OP
Old 04-26-10, 02:45 PM   #18
kylania
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 117
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddrgn View Post
The type VIIA,B,C will maintain depth at 100m when diving and 150 meter when crash diving.

Type VIIC/41 maintains depth at 100m when diving and 170m when crash diving.
What does that mean with "maintains depth" and the difference between Dive and Crash Dive? To me "maintain depth" means "won't sink unless I'm damaged some how". So how does the type of dive order issues enter into it?

kylania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-10, 02:53 PM   #19
ddrgn
Korvettenkapitän

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylania View Post
What does that mean with "maintains depth" and the difference between Dive and Crash Dive? To me "maintain depth" means "won't sink unless I'm damaged some how". So how does the type of dive order issues enter into it?
To be more specific for VIIA,B,C if you order crash dive you will go 150m if you don't stop it. If you order dive you will go 100m if you don't stop it. Maintaining those depths.

By the way is there a mod that fixes the maintain depth issue with the VIIA already, I know you would know. If so I am curious how they fixed it compared to me.
Old 04-26-10, 03:03 PM   #20
kylania
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 117

Ahh ok, I see. Not aware of any mod, but since I upgraded to a VIIC by accident so soon I've never really looked.

kylania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-10, 03:05 PM   #21
ddrgn
Korvettenkapitän

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylania View Post
Ahh ok, I see. Not aware of any mod, but since I upgraded to a VIIC by accident so soon I've never really looked.
Ya forgotten about bug, the ratio for mass to submerged and surface displacement was off. You could dive to 100m but not be able to maintain it going 1 knot. In stock you would always sink with the VIIA.
Old 04-26-10, 04:04 PM   #22
Prientje
Bosun

Downloads: 63

and where is the dl link ?
Prientje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-10, 04:06 PM   #23
ddrgn
Korvettenkapitän

hehe, its there now, thanks ;]

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...o=file&id=1775
Old 04-27-10, 08:40 AM   #24
Stormfly
Serial Port Protector

Downloads: 366

hi ddrgn,

nice mod, i like the idea.... but the "D" key is made for diving or "tiefer, tiefer verdammt, noch tiefer" just some examples what that means... it means that if the "Kaleunt" give order to dive deeper, it must be also below 100 meters... i mean hey, where is my immersion to command "tiefer verdammt" when allready on 150m, giving a bit more pressure with the "D" key command like in that movies... ones again "tiefer verdammt". for maintaining dept there should only be one key, "the key for maintaing dept at any present dept" is the "A" key. It is responsible to command holding the current present dept, not the "D" key, this key is made for diving like boots for walking

Stormfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-10, 08:44 AM   #25
ddrgn
Korvettenkapitän

Ya I set the dive deeper key to go to 100m as per Erich Topp operational depth, and when in real trouble I go to 150m which I set to crash dive.

There is no deeper key unfortunately. I just adjust the depth manually when I want a specific height.

For people using other command mods these keys will be different.
Old 04-27-10, 08:51 AM   #26
Stormfly
Serial Port Protector

oh i repaired that for me with:

DiveDepth=1000;meter
(\data\submarine\NSS_UboatXX\NSS_UboatXX.cfg)

Old 04-27-10, 08:56 AM   #27
ddrgn
Korvettenkapitän

Not sure why you would set to 1000 ;] but glad you found where to chnage it ;]
Old 04-27-10, 07:32 PM   #28
Stormfly
Serial Port Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddrgn View Post
Not sure why you would set to 1000 ;] but glad you found where to chnage it ;]
ohh, you know if the commander of a submarine commands "Dive" then the crew should execute this command until a new command is given or the submarine get lost. With dept 1000 iam pretty shure the sub would never reach this dept allive.

Old 04-28-10, 06:29 PM   #29
Capt Jack Harkness
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 210
Uploads: 1

I read the posts about subs not keeping depth at very low speeds, in a way it's kinda realistic. No submarine back then had perfect control of bouyancy, so they used forward speed and planes to compensate ('Hovering' is still tricky today as far as I know). So, if your sub were to come to a complete stop, you'd either slowly sink to the bottom or float to the surface.

It would be kinda cool if this effect could be simulated, but only while stopped, seeing as silent running is only .5 kts or so.
Capt Jack Harkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-10, 06:51 PM   #30
ddrgn
Korvettenkapitän

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Jack Harkness View Post
I read the posts about subs not keeping depth at very low speeds, in a way it's kinda realistic. No submarine back then had perfect control of bouyancy, so they used forward speed and planes to compensate ('Hovering' is still tricky today as far as I know). So, if your sub were to come to a complete stop, you'd either slowly sink to the bottom or float to the surface.

It would be kinda cool if this effect could be simulated, but only while stopped, seeing as silent running is only .5 kts or so.
As matter of fact, in the game, the depths each sub levels out at varies, not sure exactly what that is based on. Maybe hull integrity and pressure. The problem with the VIIA in stock is that without 3/5 speed you would just sink like a stone to the bottom, so maintaining depth below say 75m even within a 10m realm without speed was impossible.

Tags
favorite