SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Closed Thread

Old 12-06-07, 07:36 AM   #106
bruschi sauro
Frogman

Downloads: 64
Uploads: 0

what is row?
Old 12-06-07, 07:52 AM   #107
ReallyDedPoet
Canadian Wolf

Downloads: 946
Uploads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruschi sauro
what is row?
Reflections on Water is a great one , leovampire is currently working on updating it for 1.4.

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=122408

RDP

Back in the Day

Old 12-06-07, 09:39 AM   #108
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanwigginton
Just had a quick foray into RFB 1.4 (for stock). Started a campaign in a Salmon class. It all seems pretty solid. One thing I did notice though is that the deck gun rate of fire appears to be stock. Got no other mods running except for this one.
It is pretty much stock load times.
Old 12-06-07, 09:48 AM   #109
swdw
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 75

Load times when testing were about 5-10 second longer than stock using a clock It depends on the crew and the size of the deck gun. The larger the gun, the more tiime is added.

Because the time is so much shorter than before, it may seem like stock. 90 to 110 seconds is the time I was measuring before adjusting the time down, and this was way too long. In real life the reason it would sometimes take that long is the time spent lining up the shot after the reload. But in calm seas the fire rate was pretty decent.

Looking at other things to do to the guns

If those don't work, might add another 10 seconds to the fire rate to add time for lining up the shot.

"you wouldn't catch me on a ship that deliberately sinks itself"- comment to me from a surface sailor.

System:
AMD 6300 3.5 GHz | 32GB DDR3 | SATA 300 320GB HD, SATA III 1TB HD, SATA III 1.TB HD | ASUS Sonar DS sound card
NVIDIA 1660 Super OC | Windows 10
Old 12-06-07, 10:16 AM   #110
Wilcke
The Old Man

Downloads: 234

Hello,

Ran the Burma Convoy Mission last night with RFB for Stock and RSRD. I purposely made every mistake in the book and was unable to break the game or CTD.

Pretty stout, crept in and did the O'Kane on two merchants, then the DD's swarmed like hornets, on the third pass they killed all my crew in the forward torpedo room and flooded it....we started sinking.

Flank speed head East.....blow tanks to peri depth....evac the crew put in the repair crew.

Start sinking again....blow tanks again.

I did loose the DD's when I turned East....but they then kind of guessed and started heading east.

Oh, at peri depth with forward flooding, my stern was sticking up out of the water and the DD's spotted that and commenced firing.

Since all was lost, I surface and ran for it....returning fire with the deck gun.

Finally with the boat looking like a fine Swiss Cheese, it was lost.

Two merchants did bite the dust.

All in all I am happy with this current setup.

Hope this helps swdw.

Wilcke

Last edited by Wilcke; 12-06-07 at 05:29 PM.
Old 12-06-07, 10:43 AM   #111
ryanwigginton
Weps

Downloads: 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by swdw
Load times when testing were about 5-10 second longer than stock using a clock It depends on the crew and the size of the deck gun. The larger the gun, the more tiime is added.

Because the time is so much shorter than before, it may seem like stock. 90 to 110 seconds is the time I was measuring before adjusting the time down, and this was way too long. In real life the reason it would sometimes take that long is the time spent lining up the shot after the reload. But in calm seas the fire rate was pretty decent.

If those don't work, might add another 10 seconds to the fire rate to add time for lining up the shot.
When the deck gun was firing I was trying to imagine myself reloading the gun, aiming and firing. Just picturing it in my head from old movies and clips I've seen. To me it felt as though I'd barely be loading the next round into the chamber when RFB was firing. Even if you managed to load it there's definitly no aiming time taken into account. I hate to dredge this old topic up again but Beery spent god knows how many hours researching and tweaking the ROF. Not to mention the long paragraphs on the forum defending his decisions. Personally I thought it felt right the way he had it. Lot's will disagree of course.
Old 12-06-07, 11:28 AM   #112
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Quote:
SWDW:

The cannon question is still on the table! Fear not, hopefully a happy medium will be obtained.
Old 12-06-07, 11:30 AM   #113
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

@Wilke,

Yes, it is darn stable. Install the prolonged evasion mod by Peto. Put it at the end of the other mods you have installed. This one is really great with RFB/RSD!
Old 12-06-07, 04:28 PM   #114
igor7111
Seaman

Downloads: 385

warhawk,

as confused as i am at the moment, would it be possible at some point for
you to list exactly what mods you're currently using and the order of their
installation?

i realize the usefulness of that information will probably change within
the hour, but i need a good base to start from.

i'm just having problem after problem with just about everything but the
stock version 1.4.

Thanks.
Old 12-06-07, 10:17 PM   #115
swdw
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanwigginton
When the deck gun was firing I was trying to imagine myself reloading the gun, aiming and firing. Just picturing it in my head from old movies and clips I've seen. To me it felt as though I'd barely be loading the next round into the chamber when RFB was firing. Even if you managed to load it there's definitly no aiming time taken into account. I hate to dredge this old topic up again but Beery spent god knows how many hours researching and tweaking the ROF. Not to mention the long paragraphs on the forum defending his decisions. Personally I thought it felt right the way he had it. Lot's will disagree of course.
Actually, I dug up some old clips and watched them for various times. What you see is the average of what I watched.

But we need to be sure we're using the same terms. I was watching reload times, not rate of fire. ROF includes reload sighting and shooting, on a pitching deck, sighting can often be the longest of these. So while Beery's numbers are more realistic from beginning to end, I'd like to see if the sighting time can be increased through some various changes to achieve those numbers. Will be less frustrating in one way, because you don't have to wait so long for the reload. But can be more frustrating because you'd actually have to spend time in the sub school missions learning how to compensate for everything that can cause error in order to score a hit. There was a reason the navy had a gunner's mate rating or specific people assigned to a gun crew if no GM's were on board. It took practice to be good.

It is a matter of personal preference, so there will be different opinions on this. Just remember, what's in the mod is not the final word on this. So stay tuned . . . but be patient. If the aiming can't be destabilized in a proper way, you'll see the reload times go back up.

One other word on this, comparing what you think is realistic for you can be misleading. Few people know what they are capable of until they've had the crap drilled into them through lots of repetition.

Peace time dive times and war dive times were drastically different for the fleet boats. ROF fire for surfac ships increased dramatically from pre WWII practice to war time rates.

The first time we had a fire drill and I got my butt chewed off for taking too long to get the firehose deployed and pressurized from my compartment to the engine room, I thought the machinist mate on my case was asking the impossible- until I found out I was 45 seconds longer than the "record". Eventually, 2 of us broke that record.

We had a situation where we had problems that shut the reactor down inside the USSR's 200 mile territorial water claim. Two of us got the equipment replaced and the reactor back up in less than half the time it should have taken. We're talking about shaving HOURS off the time. But having an Alpha and an Soviet destroyer trying to pin us down everytime we got shallow enough to snorkel was also a great incentive (in state 4 seas, lost the diesel numerous times from water in the snorkel mast). plus when we were told battery power might not last and then we'd have to surface, the pace we reached was quite hectic. (Actually reversed the polarity on several cells of the battery by the time we got started back up.) We were not about to be the source of an international incident because an SSBN had to surface inside the 200 mile limit in a situation where we'd be caught by the soviet navy dong so. Just one more imperative to make us do what we would have told you was impossible before we started.

So comparing what we think we can do to what actually is possible can sometimes be comparing apples to oranges

Please be patient though, works been crazy. Spent 3 days this week working late at different locations where I went in to fix one or two problems with their control systems only to find out things were royally screwed. You can't walk away and leave half their plant limping along. Too many people out there these days that don't know what they're doing in the instrumentation, automation, and system controls business- especiallly in the field end. Causes some major headaches at times. Sometimes I'm surprised half this countries infrastuctire doesn't just up and quit.

"you wouldn't catch me on a ship that deliberately sinks itself"- comment to me from a surface sailor.

System:
AMD 6300 3.5 GHz | 32GB DDR3 | SATA 300 320GB HD, SATA III 1TB HD, SATA III 1.TB HD | ASUS Sonar DS sound card
NVIDIA 1660 Super OC | Windows 10

Last edited by swdw; 12-07-07 at 06:23 PM.
Old 12-07-07, 08:48 AM   #116
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by igor7111
warhawk,

as confused as i am at the moment, would it be possible at some point for
you to list exactly what mods you're currently using and the order of their
installation?

i realize the usefulness of that information will probably change within
the hour, but i need a good base to start from.

i'm just having problem after problem with just about everything but the
stock version 1.4.

Thanks.
Right here:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...&postcount=399

It is a darn good base at the moment. Again, not all the elements of ROW are installed because they do not render correctly. Leo is working that over right now. Other than that, these mods make for a very enjoyable game! I plan on slipping in NSM mod soon although I get frustrated enough with the bum torpedoes and the longer sinking times will just frustrate me even more. I'm not ready for that yet.
Old 12-07-07, 01:06 PM   #117
igor7111
Seaman

Downloads: 385

many thanks warhawk, i'll give it a shot this evening.
Old 12-07-07, 01:33 PM   #118
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

The game runs great for me. No CTD.
Old 12-08-07, 09:25 AM   #119
lurker_hlb3
Admiral

Downloads: 187
Uploads: 12

RSRDC Emergency Patch

This patch applies to ALL versions of RSRDC. Very bad bug in the 42a_Jap_Taskforce.mis file that cause two groups of cruisers to generate over 1000 times. This will cause SH4 to lockup. See the following post for details.

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...&postcount=424

All links to current versions of RSRDC have been disabled until I can rebuild them and repost.

Link for RSRDC_Patch_All_Versions

http://files.filefront.com/RSRDC+Pat.../fileinfo.html
Old 12-08-07, 09:27 AM   #120
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Thankfully I have not see this but loading up the patch anyway
Closed Thread