SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-19-16, 10:46 PM   #241
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Downloads: 305
Uploads: 1

Quote:
@ cdrsubron7, I took it that Rabid Wolverine was referring to the FOTRS v2 sound files, 'cause while they can be a bit over-the-top in stock, in FOTRS v2, they go absolutely bonkers, and if you've got a few hits close together, the crew is still raving about the hits after the ship has sunk... - I'm probably wrong though...
Yea, I know what Rabid Wolverine is talking about. I've honestly didn't know if Webster's small mod would help or not as I have not tried it. I noticed it the other night while browsing the download section.

Head Deep and Keep'em Astern" - LtCDR Samuel D Dealy
SHIV Guide | Imperial Japanese Navy | US Submarines

cdrsubron7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-16, 03:05 AM   #242
XTBilly
Officer

Downloads: 157
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
In the Google Drive is Creaks_Test_Sounds.zip for the testers downloading and testing. All it is, are the four (4) Creaks_Levelx.wav files (1, 2, 3 & 4), re-done to conform to the "Stock" v1.4/.5 lengths. It'd be nice to have some documentation of what is and what is NOT allowed in an audio file in the game, but oh well, "experimentation is the mother of invention", or something to that effect... 'Course, Edison (the inventor) was, for all practical purposes, deaf... probably from playing Silent Hunter 4 and encountering "The Sound"...

Put the un-zipped folder in the Mods folder, and all should be good for use in JSGME. Let me know if you have issues with that, CTDs afterwards, or - heaven forbid - you encounter "The Sound" - or, if all is well, also... I've tested until I'm almost tired of SH4 ("SACRILEGE!!!") - er, sorry - tired of waiting on the intro & loading of the game and/or scenario... whew! - I haven't had another encounter with "The Sound" lately. However, I wasn't getting them regularly anyway lately... Might have been something else... Two of the Creak files were definitely several seconds longer than the "Stock" versions, one was shorter, and another just barely longer, so maybe that was the trouble. You might also notice that the new sounds are actually a mix of the "Stock" and the FOTRS version of the individual files. The Level2 file, for whatever reason, is quieter. That's in the "Stock" game like that also. The FOTRS version was louder.

@ cdrsubron7, I took it that Rabid Wolverine was referring to the FOTRS v2 sound files, 'cause while they can be a bit over-the-top in stock, in FOTRS v2, they go absolutely bonkers, and if you've got a few hits close together, the crew is still raving about the hits after the ship has sunk... - I'm probably wrong though...
Poor Edison...
Thanks Propbeanie, I'm going to try them immediately. Since deleting the creaking sound had no effect on "The Sound", except for encountering it no so often, I really miss them.

The "We het her, we hit her!! Shhhh!!" sound is located in the \data\sound\speech\1\torpedo_impact.ogg. The same file exists also in the other speech folders (1 to 9). Changing this file to something else, will terminate the crew's raving.

WE HIT HER YEAAAHHHHHH !!!!
XTBilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-16, 07:27 AM   #243
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

Regarding the sounds. Less is more....and better!!

What I mean is I've found having too long a .wav file will create problems with how the sound is played and how it gets along with others. I stated before, emulating what the stock game does with its length and volume and you're better off. If you've got a sound that's been modified by someone other than the stock developers, and its messing up the works, pull it out and let the stock sound play as intended......simple as that!

I've seen it all too many times, modders get into the idea that simply changing something....anything is better. It's not so.

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-16, 10:41 AM   #244
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Capn, I was messing around with binoculars and suddenly realized I was messing in your file! Could you do a simple tweak where binocular vision is actually obstructed when the conning tower, other crewmember, etc, is in the way?

@propbeanie creaks work great. Capn is right: EMULATE whenever possible.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-16, 12:41 PM   #245
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

XTBilly and I have been comparing notes on the state of the art in importing stuff from 2.0 into 1.3 and here's where we are. Imported are \data subfolders campaigns, cfg, env, interior, misc, shaders, sound, submarine, textures, upcdata and zones. Additionally, from the \Library subdirectory we have particles.dat and materials.dat.

No ships yet, but since \Campaigns seems to work without a hitch, we may just be able to import the entire \Sea directory. That is unknown at this point.

I've taken the liberty of taking a big step: assembling 100 FalloftherisingSun_Ultimate_v.01Alpha_EN, the very first not ready for prime time version of our new mod. It incorporates all of the above and seems viable. The only thing I ran into was with TMOKeys. I had to use it because the keyboard layout for 2.0 is pretty much stock and I like the TMO keyboard 1.3 used. But when I press semicolon to go to radar depth the voices say "dive planes set for deep dive!" The sub goes to radar depth anyway.

I ask that this be tested to death and anomolies noted here in the thread. It will take awhile to upload it to our super-secret shared directory but it will get there in the main directory.

Thanks for all your hard work, guys! We have a long way to go but that light you see down the end of the tunnel is NOT a train coming. Congrats! We've survived so far.
Old 06-20-16, 02:18 PM   #246
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

FOTRS Ultimate v.01Alpha is up for experimentation for all in the dev group! See my previous post for details. No 2.0 ships are imported yet.

What a beautiful mod!

Last edited by Rockin Robbins; 06-20-16 at 03:17 PM.
Old 06-20-16, 03:15 PM   #247
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 440
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrsubron7 View Post
Yea, I know what Rabid Wolverine is talking about...
I wish this "text" stuff could better communicate my tongue in cheekiness... tic - I saw the download myself, and thought the same thing... "ah, if only..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by XTBilly View Post
... The "We het her, we hit her!! Shhhh!!" sound is located in the \data\sound\speech\1\torpedo_impact.ogg. The same file exists also in the other speech folders (1 to 9). Changing this file to something else, will terminate the crew's raving...
Thanks. I've been going through each folder individually and "looking", which ain't easy, as you all know...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnScurvy View Post
Regarding the sounds. Less is more... I've found having too long a .wav file will create problems ...
Bingo. When I did my "mixing" of the sounds for this iteration of "The Creaks", the file lengths match, to the sample level, exactly how long the vanilla versions' are. It looks like a good portion of files are like that, especially the "torpedo hit". I'm wondering, if for the explosions encountered in v2, if that's why they "cut-off", because of their length, or because of editing. I'll be into that area shortly... So, this is "emulated", not "simulated"...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
FOTRS Ultimate v.01Alpha is up for experimentation for all in the dev group! See my previous post for details. No 2.0 ships are imported yet.
Almost there... almost there... Downloaded!!! "Yeah! we Got her! we Got her!... Sorry, can't help me-self sometimes... How big is the beast, anyway?...

I do want everyone's input, including those not testing, as to what they like and/or don't like about particular sounds and sound mods. I like some things from "stock", some things from TMO, some things from FOTRS, etc., so I know what I want to include. But I'd like other folks' opinions. Big thing - I'm not Navy, nor do I play one on TV, only on my computer "simulator" (oh, and I have not stayed at Holiday Inn Express lately)... Therefore, I do NOT know proper vernacular / vocabulary (other than the blue streak variety) or procedures of a Navy boat or ship (or shore installation). It'd be nice to know what to throw in the can, what to include.

I do know from my dad (WWII & Korean "conflict" 3rd Fleet Navy SeaBee vet - Can Do!) that there are times when a command would be repeated 2 and 3 times. The commander would give the order, the 2nd would repeat it. The "doer" (enlisted man) would repeat it. Then there'd be the "confirmation" come back, and oftentimes, all 3 fellows are in the same compartment, standing right by each other. Throw in a speed tele, and now you've got the engine room personnel in on the repeats... "Yo! Pete! One third ahead!" Done. "Copy that!" "Out!"
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-16, 03:51 PM   #248
propbeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
FOTRS Ultimate v.01Alpha is up for experimentation for all in the dev group! See my previous post for details. No 2.0 ships are imported yet ... What a beautiful mod!
Don't forget to put the "Creaks_Test_Sounds" over the top in the "Sound" folder!!!
Old 06-20-16, 04:04 PM   #249
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Just finished d/ling the Alpha mod, will test run tonight.

Speaking of the ships from v2.0. Florida Sailor and I started collaborating work on transferring all the ships from v2.0 not already in v1.3 into v1.3. The finsihed work will first be a mod installable via JSGME. It can be added to the core of the game latter on.

Old 06-20-16, 04:08 PM   #250
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
Don't forget to put the "Creaks_Test_Sounds" over the top in the "Sound" folder!!!

Old 06-20-16, 05:49 PM   #251
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Don't worry. We're NOT RELEASING yet. This is just to get all team members on the same page using the things done so far. FOTRS 2.0 ships still have to be added to the core mod. CapnScurvy's corrected scopes still have to be added to the core mod. I'm sure there's other stuff I'm just forgetting to think about right now.

But this gives us something to look at and say, RR you screwed the pooch right here! We want it right. And remember, the core mod is as pure MadMax as we can make it. All the other goodies will be add-ons for the player to pick and choose. Plenty of room for different but mutually exclusive ideas like that smoke from TMO Smoke mod. When we get the core mod frozen I even want one of CapnScurvy's perfect recognition manuals. We're about choice, and our preferences aren't going to be required.

If people want to play multi-player, then they'll have to agree on a single configuration for that purpose. But there's no reason even they couldn't use different keyboard layouts and even different plotting schemes if they want.
Old 06-20-16, 07:54 PM   #252
propbeanie

Success thus far, doing a couple Ubisoft Single Missions, and a couple propbeanie-created Single Missions. If I drop work on the audio files, I could start a campaign tonight...
Old 06-20-16, 09:34 PM   #253
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

I've been campaigning with the alpha mod for the last few hours and here are some things I've noticed sofar.

1. Much of the written orders are in German, patrol orders, end of patrol summary....etc.

2. Couldn't find a stopwatch to save my life, it was not the x key or any other letter on the keyboard that I could find.

3. All key commands were stock, nothing from TMO.

4. I heard a sound. Kind of a tinging followed by sound like a fan blade hitting a grill cover. Noise occurred when at PD or deeper. Did not hear it when surfaced or using TC.

These were just the things that stood out while playing otherwise it wasn't too bad.

Gotta say the visuals aren't bad..

Last edited by cdrsubron7; 06-20-16 at 09:44 PM.
Old 06-21-16, 04:17 AM   #254
XTBilly
Officer

Downloads: 157
Uploads: 0

Propbeanie's sounds work great for me.

The mod is at an alpha stage so some mis-functions should be expected., but an alpha version is still a version. That's a small step forward for the team. It'll get much better in time.

Cdrsubron7, you've heard "The Sound", didn't you?
XTBilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-16, 04:35 AM   #255
propbeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrsubron7 View Post
... 4. I heard a sound. Kind of a tinging followed by sound like a fan blade hitting a grill cover. Noise occurred when at PD or deeper. Did not hear it when surfaced or using TC...
Well, "The Sound" is loud, and continues to occur after surfacing - or anything, for that matter. It sounds like someone is hitting a pipe with a pipe wrench, right next to you. However, I am interested in the sound you've encountered. What boat are you using in this case? Did you have to "go deep" before it sounded, or did it start immediately? Or only when submerged, like some sound is emulating a bent fan blade, and that fan only "runs" while submerged?