SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-18-17, 03:17 PM   #271
Kendras
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLF View Post
Have just had a quick test. CTD when the GPU picked up the first light flash I'm afraid. Took out the RayTracedHalo controller from Lighthouse_FX.dat and all now OK.
Same here.

Quote:
Light tower offset from rock (see screenshot). What Lat and Long did you use in Locations.cfg and the corresponding co-ordinates in the .mis file? Sorry - I've not had time to look at Kendras' findings yet.
For exact coordinates, I have updated the first post of this thread (see green text).

Quote:
I don't like the lack of hard reflections - personal taste or possibly environment mod in use? Here is a real life example of another tower on a perfect day.
Reflections are broken in my game, due to my graphics card, so I can't comment. But I agree with MLF, hard reflections are nice.

Quote:
The chart icon is better, prefer the "spare" one I think.
Icon is better, text is readable, but I think the icon should be smaller (if possible), and text should be very near the icon.

How it looks :

Quote:
Presumably when this one is perfect all the others will be easy
Exactly. Mmhh no, let's say ... probably !
Old 07-18-17, 03:27 PM   #272
Kendras
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

BTW : Rock is still not collisionable ...
Old 07-18-17, 03:33 PM   #273
Kendras
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Next lighthouse (after La Vieille) :

http://www.dirm.nord-atlantique-manc...le22618b-1.pdf

... Near Brest, a harbour which is becoming more realist !

Old 07-18-17, 03:37 PM   #274
MLF
Weps

Downloads: 137
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendras View Post
For exact coordinates, I have updated the first post of this thread (see green text).
All OK with those co-ordinates

I'll put my reflections on later - time to eat!!!!!!!

regards,

MLF
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ROCK LIGHTHOUSE ALIGNMENT.jpg (44.2 KB, 15 views)
Old 07-18-17, 03:43 PM   #275
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Have just had a quick test. CTD when the GPU picked up the first light flash I'm afraid. Took out the RayTracedHalo controller from Lighthouse_FX.dat and all now OK. What does this controller do (apart from CTD)?
I din't add that controller, Kendras did when he created the light effect. I think does what the name says: it adds to the game an halo which is base on actual light rays, not just flat particle set as emissive. Kendras might know on it more than I do. Didn't you see any difference after removing it?
What changed compared to Kendra's version of the FX, is my addition of a WaterReflection controller, so now we know that the two controllers are not reciprocally compatible

Quote:
Light tower offset from rock (see screenshot). What Lat and Long did you use in Locations.cfg and the corresponding co-ordinates in the .mis file? Sorry - I've not had time to look at Kendras' findings yet.
I don't know Kendra's settings. Let's wait for feedback from him. Is vertical alignment more or less good?

Quote:
I don't like the lack of hard reflections - personal taste or possibly environment mod in use? Here is a real life example of another tower on a perfect day.
Me neither, but I think that depends on environmenatl settings. I don't see any parameter that might affect reflection 'scattering' in the WaterReflection controller

Quote:
The chart icon is better, prefer the "spare" one I think.
Is the 'spare' one as jagged and big as the one whose screeenshot was posted by Kendras in his last post? Is the text still readable? I think I know how to scale those icons up and down without loosing resolution. Let me know if you think I should further reduce icon's size

Quote:
I'll try and search for an example of an old imperial unit (Feet and fathoms with the Lateral system of buoyage) admiralty chart showing light symbols - I'm sure they were more discrete.
That would be nice. You should look for the symbol for "tower beacon": that's what the Tourelle de la Plate is.
The current symbol is the one used internationally on modern charts. I took it from this document:

https://msi.nga.mil/MSISiteContent/S...art1/Sec_Q.pdf

Quote:
Sorry if a bit negative. Presumably when this one is perfect all the others will be easyl
Sure, positive criticism is always welcome. When you get time, let me know if collision detection works now, if there is foam around the base, and if the wave lapping sound works as supposed.

P.S: I think you wanted to attached an image at the bottom of your last post, but the link was corrupted
gap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-17, 03:58 PM   #276
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
Have just had a quick test. CTD when the GPU picked up the first light flash I'm afraid. Took out the RayTracedHalo controller from Lighthouse_FX.dat and all now OK. What does this controller do (apart from CTD)?
Quote:
Same here.
Did removing either the new WaterReflection controller or the RayTracedHalo controller solve the issue for you?

Quote:
Icon is better, text is readable, but I think the icon should be smaller (if possible), and text should be very near the icon.

How it looks :

Let's say half the current size and two times the current resolution? would that be okay?

P.S: was the screenshot above taken with the 'standard' tga or with the 'spare' one?

Quote:
BTW : Rock is still not collisionable ...

Quote:
Next lighthouse (after La Vieille) :

http://www.dirm.nord-atlantique-manc...le22618b-1.pdf

... Near Brest, a harbour which is becoming more realist !

Quote:
I'll put my reflections on later - time to eat!!!!!!!
Was your last screenshot taken with the latest alpha of the lighthouse? If so, after all it seems that the faint look of the reflection was caused by Min and MaxVis parameters rather than texture compression
Old 07-18-17, 04:16 PM   #277
Kendras
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gap View Post
Let's say half the current size and two times the current resolution? would that be okay?
Yes. Let's try this !

Quote:
P.S: was the screenshot above taken with the 'standard' tga or with the 'spare' one?
From 'standard' tga.

Will continue tests tomorrow, I'm tired now.

Good job, our project is progressing nicely !
Old 07-18-17, 04:22 PM   #278
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
From 'standard' tga.
Try the other one then and tell me what do you think. I think you will be surprised

Quote:
Will continue tests tomorrow, I'm tired now.

Good job, our project is progressing nicely !
Old 07-19-17, 01:05 AM   #279
Kendras
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Is the 'spare' one as jagged and big as the one whose screeenshot was posted by Kendras in his last post?
Yes, exactly the same size. Conclusion : size of icons is 'absolute'.

Quote:
When you get time, let me know if collision detection works now, if there is foam around the base, and if the wave lapping sound works as supposed.
No collision, no foam, no sound.

I will try to add sound.
Old 07-19-17, 01:44 AM   #280
Kendras
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Icon12

New sound added to the land unit, perfect in game.

Sound from this video :

Old 07-19-17, 04:28 AM   #281
MLF
Weps

Hi,

I'm afraid I did not have time last night to do any more testing etc. For the next couple of days I will not be available for anything, and thereafter, for a couple of weeks I will only have access if/when WiFi is available - possibly won't be able to test much though. Sorry about the short notice. But I will watch the thread and respond when I can if needed.

Regards,

MLF
Old 07-19-17, 06:17 AM   #282
Kendras
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Hi,

I'm afraid I did not have time last night to do any more testing etc. For the next couple of days I will not be available for anything, and thereafter, for a couple of weeks I will only have access if/when WiFi is available - possibly won't be able to test much though. Sorry about the short notice. But I will watch the thread and respond when I can if needed.

Regards,

MLF
No problem.

About the light's icon, reducing its size by 50 % is still acceptable :

What do you think ?
Old 07-19-17, 06:23 AM   #283
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
Yes, exactly the same size. Conclusion : size of icons is 'absolute'.
mmm... it can't be that. Have you really tested the tga file that I have put in the 'spare icon' folder?

What I have understood is that the game scales the tga overlay, no matter what is its pixel resolution, to fit the same space on map. That means that if a standard sized (1024 x 1024) texture is scaled down, let's say to 256 x 256 pixels, the result in game won't be an icon four times smaller than the unscaled version, but one having the same size than the original, but four times lesser smooth. This is exactly what is happening with the tga file I have placed in the Locations folder of the last alpha, and with the one you yoursels have scaled to 20% of the original size, both of which you have tested yestarday.

The correct way to make the icon smaller, is scaling not the whole tga file, but only the visible pixels within it. In other words, If we want the tower symbol to be four times smaller and as smooth as the original, we should select the area within the tga file with non-trasparent pixels, and scale it down to 25%, repeating the process for both RGB and alpha channel. This is exactly the approach I followed for creating the tga file in the 'spare icon' folder, and that's why it is important that you make sure you have tested it.
There is more: due to the size reduction, some icons and/or the text, might require their resolution to be increased in order to still look good. How to do it? If, folllowing the previous examples, we want the same icon to be four times smaller and four times smoother, we don't have to scale the tower symbol within the original tga file: all we need to do, is adding black/transparent pixels to it, so to modify its size from 1024 square pixels to
4096 x 4096. One might fear that by doing that the file size would increase exponentially but that's not really the case: with the compression method used for saving those files, black/transparent pixels get compressed, so the final file size will be bigger, but not so much bigger.

Quote:
No collision, no foam
Yesterday night I have been looking into the issue. Everything is apparently in order, but I will keep inspecting the files this afternnon.

Quote:
no sound.

I will try to add sound.
Quote:
New sound added to the land unit, perfect in game.

Sound from this video :

Yep, I had listened the same sound when I was looking for sound loops which might apply to our model, but I discardes it, because it is the sound of crashing waves, not realistic during fair weather. At the end I opted for the wave lapping sound already featured in SHIII with GWX (but I believe it is in stock game too): it would be audible during calm days, and it would be covered by the ambience sound of heavy waves when the weather is stormy. What do you think?

Whatever is your decision, can you please send me your tweaked and/or added files when you are satisfied with them, so I can keep working on up-to-date files?

Quote:
No problem MLF. Your help and suggestions are always appreciated, but take your time on them. Whatever you got planned for the next two weeks, I wish you to have a nice time!
Old 07-19-17, 07:16 AM   #284
Kendras
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
mmm... it can't be that. Have you really tested the tga file that I have put in the 'spare icon' folder?
Yes Sir.

Quote:
What I have understood is that the game scales the tga overlay, no matter what is its pixel resolution, to fit the same space on map.
Definitely not.

Quote:
This is exactly what is happening with the tga file I have placed in the Locations folder of the last alpha, and with the one you yoursels have scaled to 20% of the original size, both of which you have tested yestarday.
No, in fact I didn't test your original tga, because I knew that it was far too big. Here is the definitive evidence, the pictures speaks for itself (in game icon with your original tga) :

Quote:
Yesterday night I have been looking into the issue. Everything is apparently in order, but I will keep inspecting the files this afternnon.
Don't loose your precious time on that problem, i will see/test that myself. Keep going forward with 3D modelling, you're very good !

Quote:
Yep, I had listened the same sound when I was looking for sound loops which might apply to our model, but I discardes it, because it is the sound of crashing waves, not realistic during fair weather. At the end I opted for the wave lapping sound already featured in SHIII with GWX (but I believe it is in stock game too): it would be audible during calm days, and it would be covered by the ambience sound of heavy waves when the weather is stormy. What do you think?
Mmh, I don't know. Maybe it's not the appropriate sound for this beacon, but sure it will be for bigger islands. On the video, the sea state is not stormy.

Quote:
Whatever is your decision, can you please send me your tweaked and/or added files when you are satisfied with them, so I can keep working on up-to-date files?
Yes, of course. I will send you v.8 during the afternoon.
Old 07-19-17, 08:43 AM   #285
MLF
Weps

Quote:

No problem MLF. Your help and suggestions are always appreciated, but take your time on them. Whatever you got planned for the next two weeks, I wish you to have a nice time!
Thank you

Regards,

MLF