SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Modern-Era Subsims > Dangerous Waters > DW Mod Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-04-09, 04:55 AM   #661
Castout
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 6

Today I shot 2 Mk 48 ADCAP torpedoes at an enemy gunboat set in active mode at 45 knots speed and 200 feet depth.

Though passing close to the target(less than 1nmi) the two didn't even home in onto the gunboat. The two missed completely.

Am I doing something wrong?
Old 10-04-09, 06:23 AM   #662
suBB
Chief

Downloads: 5
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjb1 View Post
I am testing i am using the same parameters and i can get contact at approx 15NM above the layer. Below didnt get contact until approx 11NM. i replayed the same scenario many times and the detection ranges were not constant. They changed slightly depending on how sharp the SSP changed but the difference in ranges was not that much + - 1NM. I did try to use use different depths too. Above i used between 200 and 600 ft. no real difference. Below used between 1200 and 2000 ft. range increased slighty at 2000 ft maybe 1/2 NM was hard to tell but was slightly farther. I even turned off RA and tried LWAMI and got roughly the same results.
Thanks for testing.. I have data on LWAMI and I know the SSP 'works' in that mod. going to try a different geographical location and see what happens.

However, the RA mod i have installed is clean, meaning I've erased DW completely and just installed RA mod only to a different folder..
suBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-09, 06:54 AM   #663
pjb1
Seaman

Downloads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castout View Post
Today I shot 2 Mk 48 ADCAP torpedoes at an enemy gunboat set in active mode at 45 knots speed and 200 feet depth.

Though passing close to the target(less than 1nmi) the two didn't even home in onto the gunboat. The two missed completely.

Have you read the weapons manual? There are different settings needed for surface contacts. On the 19th you asked about the SET-65 and someone told you read the weps manual, guess you havent yet because the ADCAP is the very first entry. I would recommend that you even print out the manual because almost all weapons have different settings in RA.
pjb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-09, 10:21 AM   #664
suBB
Chief

Downloads: 5

Pjb1,

I'm seeing mixed results now. In my recent test of the same scenario and parameters, I'm getting performance of a positive gradient(top layer) and detections out to 20nm, possibly farther.

The reason for this could be that the SSP of the two different platforms are not 'possibly identical' especially when platforms are that far apart. The SSP is recalculated each time the scenario is loaded.

Also it strikes me as odd to detect a transiting ak2 imp. at 14 kts when it's not cavitating from 20nm. The performance of this is more along the lines of a bottom limited SSP(positive gradient to the bottom)..

Any rate, I think a conclusion has been reached. Thanks again for your help. Going to try a MP test to insure that both platforms are on the same side of layer..

suBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-09, 12:44 PM   #665
goldorak
Admiral

Downloads: 0

Quote:

Did you set them for surface acquisition ?
What value of "ceiling" did you use ?
goldorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-09, 03:49 PM   #666
-GrayOwl-
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Bad idea - to attack the ship of the small tonnage by an active mode of a torpedo.
The passive mode most approaches - for such attack. As a rule these ships noisy enough.
Old 10-04-09, 04:46 PM   #667
Castout
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 6

Oh yea that again I've been relying on the USNI

Just read the Mk 48 ADCAP entry and WOW

@GrayOwl: Yea I suspected that active mode wouldn't be so effective against very small surface vessel at least in RL but I was testing the active mode of the ADCAP and it happened that the unidentified target I launched at was a gunboat Seeing the two missed I suspected it was covered or made with sonar absorbing material .

Anyway further testing against ASW targets proved that the ADCAP is a deadly little fish major improvement to the old beta.

Last edited by Castout; 10-04-09 at 05:02 PM.
Castout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-09, 07:59 PM   #668
-GrayOwl-
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Oh yea that again I've been relying on the USNI

Just read the Mk 48 ADCAP entry and WOW

@GrayOwl: Yea I suspected that active mode wouldn't be so effective against very small surface vessel at least in RL but I was testing the active mode of the ADCAP and it happened that the unidentified target I launched at was a gunboat Seeing the two missed I suspected it was covered or made with sonar absorbing material .

Anyway further testing against ASW targets proved that the ADCAP is a deadly little fish major improvement to the old beta.
Study Weapons Guide Doc correctly to apply this weapon - and you will are renumerated.

MODE: 2 (TWO) - SEARCH PATTERN – SNAKE: TOWARD SEARCH.
The following mode is stipulated for inclusion ONLY of directly focused sensor control.
* - All time only forward focused sensor control works - lateral sectors ARE NOT LOOKED THROUGH.
For activation of this mode follow such steps:
Establish Value FLOOR as 21000.
First digit in the category (Red Designated)- will establish number of a mode – Mode Number TWO.
The following four digits 1000 - is FLOOR in which the torpedo works.

Last edited by -GrayOwl-; 10-06-09 at 03:23 AM.
Old 10-04-09, 09:53 PM   #669
I-25
Commodore

Downloads: 24

im loving this mod guys!

but im getting a lot of random CTD i isntaled over 1.4 and did all steps in the manual.

CTD's arent fun
I-25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-09, 08:33 AM   #670
pjb1
Seaman

Default CTD's

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-25 View Post
im loving this mod guys!

but im getting a lot of random CTD i isntaled over 1.4 and did all steps in the manual.

CTD's arent fun
I had CTDs in the beta but havent had 1 yet since this update. When are these ctds happening. Without a good description of whats happening the modders cannot figure out whats causing it. When i say good description i mean day or night, platform type, what happened, ie. i launched a SET-65 and got a CDT.
Old 10-12-09, 01:56 PM   #671
blackbird34
Swabbie

Downloads: 9
Default Ahh!

can someone pleas help me out i installed RA mod over Vanilla install and game crashes at start up. every procedure done by the book.
blackbird34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-09, 02:29 PM   #672
pjb1
Seaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbird34 View Post
can someone pleas help me out i installed RA mod over Vanilla install and game crashes at start up. every procedure done by the book.
Vanilla with 1.04 patch?
Old 10-12-09, 10:32 PM   #673
blackbird34
Swabbie

Yeah i had the 1.04 patch as well
blackbird34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-09, 04:01 AM   #674
pjb1
Seaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbird34 View Post
Yeah i had the 1.04 patch as well
Game version must also be English speaking version. Also when you clicked on the .bat file and the install started a DOS screen should come up and start scrolling thru stuff sometimes you must answer yes and if you dont let this run until it stops by itself then game wont work. This can also take sometime depending on your PC.
Old 10-13-09, 09:42 AM   #675
blackbird34
Swabbie

will the dos screen exit it self? because i get a message something like
File installation complete!