SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-20-09, 01:32 AM   #226
AOTD_MadMax
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 71
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm goin' down View Post
what are the rules on range using the shadowship. Top of the mast, carrier deck, smoke stack? What? This is my third post with no responses?
Top of the Mast is the rule.
I didnt change these things in FOTRS, its just like Vanilla SH4 !

Greets

Maddy
Old 07-21-09, 05:51 AM   #227
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Nor are they changed from TMO. Top of the masthead always. Stadimeter follies are part of the simulation of hardship in the game. Life warn't fair for those people, why should we get a free pass?

Confirmed: the Rockin' Asashios can move and attack normally even though their propellers are out of the water. Anybody else see them? Everything looks normal from my end.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-09, 10:05 AM   #228
I'm goin' down
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 813
Uploads: 0
Default top of the mast

I could not figure out if the top of the mast, funnel, etc. Thanks for the information.

Unlike RR, the planes drive me nuts, and I have never figured out how to scan the sky from the position at he anti-aircraft gun to see them before they began their runs on my boat. So, I used a mod to delete them. With hardly any planes I am a happier camper. Unlike TMO, I have a chance of evading the destroyers. Unlike RFB, I can see the torpedoes angles on the Attack Map (I like that feature).

However, and this is significant, at night it is difficult to read the compass, which is a light brown (?) color. As you know, when using the Easy AoB mod, plotting the target's course is crucial. Compass readings are essential for that task. I have to jam my face into the computer screen to get a reading. When you FOTRS is updated, kindly consider illuminating the compass for night readings. Day time compass readings are not a problem.

As for spotting enemy airplanes, I wonder if it is possible to have the sailor on watch on deck point to enemy planes that are attacking the boat? That seems like it would be very hard program.

Last edited by I'm goin' down; 07-21-09 at 05:04 PM.
I'm goin' down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-09, 11:52 AM   #229
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

If I'm pre-radar I let my crew spot the planes. I don't worry about where they are, if they're visually spotted I submerge to 100' for 5 minutes, clock starting when I pass periscope depth, and then resurface immediately.

I'm going down, have you seen the Rockin Asashios? I am still wondering if I have a corrupt installation or if this is a real problem.

I tested the enemy AI yesterday by slinking between two Rockin Asashios, periscope depth on silent running, one about 100 yards to my port and the other 1000 yards to my starboard. They did their little war dance on my head and sent me to Davey Jones' locker pretty much like Ducimus' DDs should. I probably would have got away with that stupid pet trick in RFB.

Some of these targets are so beautifully rendered I hate to shoot 'em. But I do anyway. Don't know how I'd kill a Rockin Asashio though.... Wonder what their propulsion method is?
Old 07-21-09, 12:48 PM   #230
Munchausen
Commodore

Downloads: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm goin' down View Post
However, and this is significant, at night it is difficult to read the compass, which is a light brown (?) color.
Very true ... something that bothers me for exactly the same reason. Don't know why nobody ever mentioned it before ... let alone fix it.
Munchausen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-09, 02:07 PM   #231
donut
The Old Man

Downloads: 10
I pissed to Duci a year ago,about this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchausen View Post
Very true ... something that bothers me for exactly the same reason. Don't know why nobody ever mentioned it before ... let alone fix it.
Agreed
donut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-09, 05:12 PM   #232
I'm goin' down
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 813

Mr.Robbins, sir,

I am woefully ignorant. What is AI? I assume a Rockin Ashido is a DD? I would not know what to look for? Are they on the Japanese warship log in the game? Id they are a DD, generally I get hysterical, and dive REALLY DEEP and pray for an hour (at least).

Manchauesen and Donut -- It's true. Everyone love me!!! And now that I am blind from trying to read the compass at night, I am getting extra care and attention.
I'm goin' down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-09, 05:39 AM   #233
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

AI is artificial intelligence. It's the smarts that make the non-player characters (NPCs) kill you. Yes, the Rockin Asashio is a DD, which sits on top of the water, not in the water. Its propellers are out of the water and because its waterline is so low the ship has no stability. It just rocks back and forth about 30º and is comical as hades until you realize it is invulnerable.

Then you discover that it has a supernatural means of propulsion, as it acts perfectly normally in a depth charge run.

Check out the video I posted above. There's no mistaking these guys if you have them, even from almost to the horizon.
Old 07-22-09, 07:34 AM   #234
AOTD_MadMax
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 71

@ Rockin Robbins

ive tested out the asashio.
In my game and in the games of all AOTD-Clanmates ( we do an Online-Campaign with FOTRS ) we didnt get those asashio DD´s.

Once upon a time a got this same problem with SH3.
There was an complete konvoi driving over the see 30 meter obove the water.
I started the saved campaign 2 month earlier and the problem was gone.
Maybe a corrupt savefile.

I will look to the compass-texture.

Greets

Maddy
Old 07-22-09, 09:16 AM   #235
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

What a shame, they're a lot of fun! I restarted the career and still have them, so it's not a savegame issue. That would be too easy.

I have some kind of file follies going on and it's going to be lots of fun to sort it out. Complete game disassembly and reassembly coming up!

Think I'll try stock and see what happens. I'll bet the problem is totally unrelated to FOTRS.
Old 07-22-09, 12:46 PM   #236
Munchausen
Commodore

Downloads: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
I have some kind of file follies going on and it's going to be lots of fun to sort it out. Complete game disassembly and reassembly coming up!
I know the feeling.
Munchausen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-09, 04:24 PM   #237
Lt commander lare
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 781
Uploads: 35
hey guys how is everyone i was wondering are there minefields like in the movie torpedo run in this version of the fall of the rising sun or have those type of minefields not in the game currently

lt commander lare
Lt commander lare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-09, 09:56 PM   #238
Celloplayer5
Seaman

Downloads: 42

hi,
I downloaded all the patches and the FOTRS itself and i enter it into JSGME and i cant find it in the game. can some1 help me????
cello
Celloplayer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-09, 11:08 PM   #239
magick
Bosun

Downloads: 14
Default Fantastic

Well it is a shame I didn't tryed this FOTRS mod earlyer! This mod is really fantastic! It not only looks nice it also plays nice too Thanks for this great piece of art Maddy, good hunting!
Old 07-27-09, 01:08 AM   #240
donut
The Old Man

Downloads: 10
@ Celloplayer5 Sir,

Tell us more. There is a FOTRS. for patched to 1.4, & another for patch 1.5 . Have you enabled it JSGME.,& unpacked it to MODS folder? Thought: you may have to start new career. BTW, welome aboard, flat hat.

Last edited by donut; 07-27-09 at 01:19 AM.
donut is offline   Reply With Quote