SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific > SH4 U-Boat Missions Add On
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-07-10, 02:02 PM   #1
Chubster
Beach Leaf

Downloads: 162
Uploads: 0
Default Dick O Kane style attack for UBoats

Been having a look and cant seem to find if there is a similar way to attack when in a uboat.

Has anyone got or know of any training vids etc ?
Chubster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-10, 09:05 AM   #2
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Well actually you can do the same Dick O'Kane attack in a U-Boat. Approach from right angles to the target track, calculate the AoB for the shoot angle and enter that into the TDC. You have to keep the TDC and the periscope unlocked from each other or every time you move the scope you'll ruin the solution! Enter the target speed and the standard 1100 or 1500 yard range and proceed as if you were in a fleet boat. Works great! And it was the very first kind of attack I did in a U-Boat because I didn't know any better.

However, in a U-Boat you have the option of upping the ante and making an attack where you don't have to wait for the target to cross the shoot bearing. You can actually shoot any time you want subject to the maximum range of the torpedo! This is Wazoo's Fast-90 technique. This will take advantage of the U-Boat's ability to link the TDC with the periscope (American boats could do this in real life but not in the game).

Start the same approach at 90º to the target track. Now point the scope at the zero bearing and go to the TDC. Enter 90º as the AoB and press the button to link the periscope to the TDC. Then enter the target speed and take a wild guess at the range (it cancels out so it doesn't matter much). Now as you point the scope at the target you can watch the TDC adjust the AoB to compensate. This calculates a new lead angle so that not matter when you shoot, as long as the crosshairs are on the part of the target you want to hit, the torpedo will hit!

That's the short course. If you want the entire story, which gets quite complicated (unnecessarily so to my way of thinking) here it is: http://www.paulwasserman.net/SHIII/
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-10, 03:11 PM   #3
Chubster
Beach Leaf

Cheers RR......it was your vids that helped me send several thousand tons to the bottom and also got my first sonar only after watching another of your vids.

Off to check this one out. Many thanks Cpn
Old 05-11-10, 03:17 PM   #4
Chubster
Beach Leaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
That's the short course. If you want the entire story, which gets quite complicated (unnecessarily so to my way of thinking) here it is: http://www.paulwasserman.net/SHIII/

......thinks we need a infamous RR training vid. Without the music though please
Old 05-12-10, 08:43 AM   #5
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

It's been awhile since I've made a video. I may just do that!
Old 05-12-10, 06:19 PM   #6
BillBam
Watch Officer

Downloads: 171

as Oliver Twist once said "MORE PLEZE!"
BillBam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-10, 03:06 PM   #7
Singed
Sailbad the Sinner

Downloads: 126

R.R.'s videos are awesome, with or without music. I attribute a lot of my success in the game to his explanations of manual targeting.

The John P. Cromwell attack works just as well.

The added option of easily shooting "backwards" (stern, MOT, bow) with AOB automatically recomputed is REALLY nice if you think the situation merits it.
Singed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-10, 06:13 PM   #8
Chubster
Beach Leaf

So thats three hands up for a Rockin Rob Uboat Vid.... so what ya doing tonight RR
Old 05-13-10, 06:25 PM   #9
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

OK! OK! OK! OUCH!!!!! Quit twisting my arm!

I'll get on it. Maybe not tonight but I'll kick out a video without too-loud music in the next 7 days. I look forward to getting in the old U-Boat again anyway!
Old 05-13-10, 08:44 PM   #10
Capt. Morgan
Commander

Downloads: 404

I'd say that not only is the Fast-90 attack possible in a U-Boat, it's also better suited to it.

With the German targeting computer, the bearing and AOB are corrected and updated automatically as you rotate the scope, so once you're in firing position, you can shoot at multiple targets accurately without having to re-enter data into the TDC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
OK! OK! OK! OUCH!!!!! Quit twisting my arm! I'll get on it. ...
I'm looking forward to a new vid. I'll bet there are many of us here who first tried manual targeting because your videos made it look so easy (even after a really good Mai-Tai), and have never looked back.

As to the music, Kraftwerk does a really good cover of the Das-Boot theme.

Last edited by Capt. Morgan; 05-13-10 at 08:59 PM. Reason: comma drama
Capt. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-10, 09:39 PM   #11
Chubster
Beach Leaf

Top man....

I look forward to taking out a few er..... british ships.......hang on a mo old chap, I AM british, that cant be right can it???

Oh hang on, cunning plan. Using your new vid I will sink the entire german navy
Old 05-14-10, 12:42 AM   #12
Bleh
Seaman

Downloads: 109

another video to add to my collection woohoo.

Bleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-10, 06:18 PM   #13
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

OK guys, while I get the kinks worked out of my U-Boat handling skills, here's a link to my original written post about how to do Dick O'Kane attacks AND Fast-90 in a U-Boat. It's kind of neat to have them both together so you can see the differences.

Dick O'Kane can be done either in a U-Boat or Fleet Boat. Fast-90 can only be done in a U-Boat.

What a shocker! When I was trying out the U-Boat this morning I had completely forgotten that the U-Boat didn't even have active sonar! You get spoiled in the American boats...

Stay tuned for that video.
Old 05-15-10, 06:36 PM   #14
Chubster
Beach Leaf

Cheers RR....going to give the Uboats a go in the morning....Oh, it is.....lets load her up then
Old 05-26-10, 12:35 PM   #15
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

I haven't forgotten, just had a tooth pulled and surgery for potential melanoma on my back. I'm still on it!