Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-13-18, 06:37 PM   #1
Platapus
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 0

Default Serious question: Ripped jeans fashionable

I am not trying to be snarky or anything, but can anyone explain to me the fashion sense behind women wearing ripped jeans?

I would have thought that a woman would not want to walk around in ripped clothing, and certainly not walk around in jeans where the knees have been worn out!

I grew up poor and wearing torn clothing was something to be ashamed about. Are well to do people deliberately wearing torn clothing the fashion version of slumming?

I am usually pretty clueless about most fashion trends, but this one really has me scratching my head.

Just tonight, we were at a nice restaurant in a pretty nice area of town and there were multiple women, all wearing otherwise nice and expensive clothing, but with their knees ripped out of their pants.

These are women who obviously were "dressed up" for an evening, wearing torn clothing.

I just don't get it, but am honestly curious about this.
Old 05-13-18, 06:56 PM   #2
Reece
CINC Pacific Fleet

Downloads: 171

It's been the fashion over here for years, like you I think it's stupid!!

Sub captains go down with their ship!
Reece is online   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-18, 07:05 PM   #3
u crank
Old enough to know better

Downloads: 136

Well you can by jeans that look like they are worn out and you can buy jeans that look like they've been washed in bleach. Seems like a natural progression.

Yea I don't understand it. Another one I don't get is the really skinny jeans. How do you get your foot through that opening at the ankle?

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”

― Arthur C. Clarke

u crank is online   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-18, 10:00 PM   #4
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Downloads: 0

Some of those torn up jean designs are quite intricate but I think mostly it's done to project an air of toughness and experience. It says they have worn the shine off their shoes so to speak. Plus it probably pisses off mom and dad. That alone would make it popular among the rebellious youth.

Flanked by life and the funeral pyre. Putting on a show for you to see.
August is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-18, 10:32 PM   #5
BarracudaUAK
Captain

Downloads: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by August View Post
Some of those torn up jean designs are quite intricate but I think mostly it's done to project an air of toughness and experience. It says they have worn the shine off their shoes so to speak.

I'm about to sound old....

"When I was younger..." wearing jeans until they were faded and worn out was a bit of an achievement.
Normally I'd out-grown them long before that.
As I got older I would keep jeans until they were faded, and when they got the first hole, they became "work on the car/yard/house jeans".

My newer jeans either last (almost) forever and shrink, or they rip before they've even started to fade.
Sometimes I grab a pair of jeans just to notice at the store, 2 hours later, there is a hole.
In my NEW(-ish) jeans!

Maybe that's what it is, "mom and dad" had old, faded, holey jeans.
They want some but jeans don't last long enough to get that way.

So a designer somewhere decided to make a buck, or 200.
Maybe that is what it is.

OR...
Who knows, I'm sure each one has their own reasons for wearing them.

Personally I treat jeans like armor. It's only good if it is between me and the "dangerous stuff".

Barracuda

P.S. Before anyone says anything! When the 3 year old pair, and the new pair are the SAME size, and the old pair is tight, and the new pair is not...
Then yes, they are shrinking!
BarracudaUAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-18, 12:05 AM   #6
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

Downloads: 5

What with that and the tattoos, I'm sure glad I don't have to search for a decent-looking woman any more... she would be very hard to find these days. Except for the Eastern European women who proliferate here at the moment... they put our locals to absolute shame. Young or old, most of them look like they stepped out of a 'Bond' movie.
Old 05-14-18, 05:52 AM   #7
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

ON THE TRUE NATURE OF 'DISTRESSED DENIM';
Quote:
Manufacturers use various tools, from heavy-duty sandpaper to pumice stones, and until recently a process known as ‘sandblasting’, which involves fine sand being channelled into an air gun and then sprayed at high pressure on to the denim.
It’s effective but highly dangerous, causing a condition known as silicosis, when small particles of dust from the sand embed themselves in workers’ lungs.
Factory employees found themselves short of breath, suffering painful coughs and feeling dizzy and weak. Silicosis is incurable and, in its acute form, fatal.
Levi’s and H&M announced a ban on sandblasting their denim in 2010, and, following lobbying from campaign groups, other companies followed suit.
But investigations subsequently found that demand for ripped denim was fuelling a black market. In Turkey, one of the world’s biggest jeans exporters, 1,200 people have silicosis and 46 have died as a result.( AS A RESULT LASERS R INCREASINGLY THE WAY TO GO ) They may look random, but those rips in your jeans are anything but.
Firstly, there are different types of rip: a hole (which cuts right through the fabric), a shred (where threads remain, covering up the hole), and a scrape (a small abrasion on the surface). While the latter two tend to be small, holes can be much larger.
But fashion experts say that holes should always be horizontal (vertical ones go against the grain of the denim and can mean the jeans fall apart), never wider than the leg of the jeans (for the same reason) and never more than an inch high when you’re standing up (as they’ll expose even more flesh when you sit).
Mithun Ramanandi, formerly a denim buyer at Selfridges, says rips should be ‘on the thigh, the knee and the back pocket’ and not ‘too sporadic’.
‘Rips on the calf don’t look natural,’ he adds.
According to fashion bible GQ, there’s even an optimum number of rips: two and a half.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-4726702/Why-wearing-ripped-jeans.html
BOTTOM LINE: LOOKING DISTRESSED IN YOUR DENIMS IS FASHIONABLE...LADIES' SENSE OF FASHION IS UNFATHOMABLE AS ALWAYS. AS FOR ME: NOT ONE HOLE IN MY BAGGY
Quote:
Originally Posted by U Crank
Another one I don't get is the really skinny jeans.
FIVE-YEAR-OLD+ SAILING JEANS....AS YET; BUT THAT'S BECAUSE I'M A PIRATE AT HEART AND 'JEAN LAFITTE' IS MY IDOL!
Quote:
Originally Posted by barracudaUAK
Personally I treat jeans like armor. It's only good if it is between me and the "dangerous stuff".

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"

Last edited by Aktungbby; 05-14-18 at 06:07 AM.
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-18, 07:02 AM   #8
Commander Wallace
Navy Seal

Downloads: 360

I think we have all seen the " distressed " denims with holes in them. I think they look terrible. I did however like when my jeans had been washed so many times that they had a soft feel to them and were blue / white. I did find out not to put my levi's in the dryer though as they seemed to deteriorate. I contacted the Levi Strauss Co. to find out why my gently used jeans are coming apart when the Levi's I had as a kid were able to withstand playing sandlot Baseball, Football, frozen pond Hockey and motorcycle riding just to name a few activities.

Worn out and distressed appearances are not limited to clothes though. The famous guitar manufacturer, Fender instruments, specifically the custom shop division of Fender creates their " relic " line of guitars. The guitars look beat up and road weary however, play-ability is not an issue. The prices are astronomical as well. How much you ask ? try anywhere from $ 3760.00 to $ 4400.00 and more. You can purchase a decent Fender electric guitar for $ 800.00 that you could have the fun of " distressing " yourself.

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/fender-custom-shop-1959-heavy-relic-stratocaster--custom-built--namm-limited-edition/j56180000001000?cntry=us&source=3WWRWXGP&gclid=EAI aIQobChMIje-TkJKF2wIVHEsNCh0B_w9xEAQYAyABEgKnG_D_BwE&kwid=prod uctads-adid^221957295818-device^c-plaid^335491597433-sku^J56180000001000@ADL4MF-adType^PLA

Go figure.
Commander Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-18, 07:49 AM   #9
Reece
CINC Pacific Fleet

Downloads: 171

Love your boat Aktungbby, your jeans aren't bad either!!

Sub captains go down with their ship!
Reece is online   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-18, 08:23 AM   #10
Bilge_Rat
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 344

I feel the same way, my wife, my son and his GF all own jeans with holes in them. What is worse, they cost more than regular jeans!

I constantly kid them about it, but I am just an old man crying in the wilderness...
Old 05-14-18, 11:16 AM   #11
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

I recall as a kid wearing my new jeans whilst in the bath or showere to rid them of their 'new look' and once torn or holed they were immediately resigned to being 'workwear'.

I've never owned a pair of 'ripped' or 'holed' new jeans and doubt I ever will at my age.

So much for my memory but right now I couldn't honestly say if my son or daughter own a pair

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-18, 03:03 PM   #12
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy

Icon14

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMBUNA
and once torn or holed they were immediately resigned to being 'workwear'.
THIS WILL SOLVE ALL YOUR PROBLEMS! SERVICE ISSUE BLACK BDU PANTS AND BLACK DENIM JEANS TEND TO DIE WHEN IN FULL KIT WITH A HEAVY SERVICE BELT ETC SO I FAVOR: <
Quote:
DuluthFlex® Fire Hose 5-Pocket Pants. 3% spandex allowed them to lunge, crouch, stretch. Plus it packs all the abrasion resistance you expect from Fire Hose Work Pants, 97% cotton fabric is prewashed, broken-in and feels great in all seasons like a favorite pair of jeans. FendOff™ finish repels water and stains.
I GOT HOOKED BY ELEVATOR REPAIR GUYS WEARING FIREHOSE PANTS IN MY BUILDINGS AND THEY DON'T WEAR OUT...ALL RIGHT! ALL RIGHT! DULUTH TRADING CO STARTED ON A BARGE IN DULUTH, MINNESOTA!! SO I'M A LITTLE BIASED! I GET MY BELTS AND SKIVVIES TOO https://www.duluthtrading.com/store/dtc-shared/customer-service/catalog/catalog.aspx

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Old 05-14-18, 03:15 PM   #13
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Showing skin to male observers is a sexual attractor. I am surprised that I must hint at the obvious. For the same reason a woman may leave her blouses' buttons open much deeper than recommendable, or wears a skirt or dress much shorter than advisable.

The tricky thing is that many woman seem to have no clue who can afford what by her physical appearance.

Or that they complain about the effect that they have asked for and triggered themselves.

Well. Women. What else to say. Next.
Old 05-14-18, 03:36 PM   #14
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

PS: WE NEED TO GET TO GET ONKEL NEAL A PAIR OF THESE IN CASE HIS 'WINDSUCKER' MISSPEAKS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ONKEL NEAL
trying to decide whether to charge or run.....Then the Windsucker spoke.
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showpost.php?p=2528971&postcount=305
WOULD BE 'BOARING' WITHOUT ITS FEARLESS LEADER

Old 05-14-18, 04:12 PM   #15
Highbury
The Old Man

Downloads: 174

I was a teenager in the 80's and the kind that listened to heavy metal and wore lots of denim. The odd rip was no reason to throw something away but they were all natural ones. Going out and buying ripped jeans on purpose confuses me.

This thread also reminded me of a cartoon I recently saw online.
Highbury is offline   Reply With Quote