SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-25-10, 02:18 PM   #841
peabody
Admiral

Downloads: 126
Uploads: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tater View Post
peabody, are you using all random groups, or are you also messing with "scripted" mission files?

As lurker and I discovered doing our own campaign mods, the "scripted" groups (dragging a ship class to the map, instead of placing a random group with that ship class within it, 100%) have some serious "issues." As a result, it is always better to have groups be of the random variety. If precise timing is required, hand edit

DelayMin=
DelayMinInterv=

to both equal 1, and things will spawn on time.

One issue is the airgroup bug, for example. If you had a "scripted" US CV, the point of waypoint 0 will have an airgroup on it, even if the CV has not yet spawned. There are other issues as well. Avoid those.
Yes, everything I was doing has been random. I think I had a couple of scripted to do a couple tests, but they were going to be changed. But I was not aware of the 'Airgroup bug" Thanks for the info.

Peabody

System Spec: Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3, PentiumD Dual Core Presler 945 3.4Ghz, Gigabyte Geforce 7600GS, 2-1GB Corsair XMS2 800Mhz in Dual Channel, 2-WD 250 SATA 3Gb/s, Onboard Realtek HD 7.1 Audio, DVD ROM, DVD burner, Hiper 580 Watt Power supply, WinXP SP2.

peabody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-10, 03:22 PM   #842
Alfamemnon
Watch

Downloads: 15
Uploads: 0

Great work guys! Also, those 25mm multi barrels should give even the American massive four engine bombers a little bit something to worry about. Yesterday I shot my very first Liberator down. It made one of the same mistakes that makes Sunderlands and Catalinas woefully vulnerable to flak fire: it approached my sub in a straight line (though in relatively high altitude).

I still came up with one more idea: The players of this mod could be happy if some of their missions include that they have to just finish off badly damaged enemy capital ships (battleships, carriers etc) as it would give lots of renown with a small number of torpedoes used so there should be missions where you are told to finish off for example a damaged carrier Yorktown after Battle of Midway or anywhere in the game some enemy warships that have been seriously crippled by kamikaze attacks. If you can just script some Japanese aircraft to have a crazy AI that seeks to collide with an enemy warship of their choice at full speed (instead of strafing or bombing them), you could even make it possible for the player to witness a kamikaze attack taking place. With just a wee little bit hunters instincts or intelligence a player should, after any successful kamikaze attack that did not quite sink the target, realize there is comfortably easy prey awaiting just for him/her. I am not at all a psychologist but I guess that on the other hand, some players could be displeased about the fact they received help with some of their kills and thus have to kinda "share" them.

I must be in an extremely uncreative mood these days because I came up with this kamikaze idea only yesterday when the wreck of an Avenger I had just shot down hit my sub destroying one of my frontmost compartments and thus sinking me even though my hull integrity was 100 and systems had only minimal damage before the Avenger hitting me. I was angry like "friggin Allied kamikaze fanatic".

Last edited by Alfamemnon; 08-25-10 at 04:11 PM.
Alfamemnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-10, 04:50 PM   #843
peabody
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfamemnon View Post
Great work guys! Also, those 25mm multi barrels should give even the American massive four engine bombers a little bit something to worry about. Yesterday I shot my very first Liberator down. It made one of the same mistakes that makes Sunderlands and Catalinas woefully vulnerable to flak fire: it approached my sub in a straight line (though in relatively high altitude).

I still came up with one more idea: The players of this mod could be happy if some of their missions include that they have to just finish off badly damaged enemy capital ships (battleships, carriers etc) as it would give lots of renown with a small number of torpedoes used so there should be missions where you are told to finish off for example a damaged carrier Yorktown after Battle of Midway or anywhere in the game some enemy warships that have been seriously crippled by kamikaze attacks. If you can just script some Japanese aircraft to have a crazy AI that seeks to collide with an enemy warship of their choice at full speed (instead of strafing or bombing them), you could even make it possible for the player to witness a kamikaze attack taking place. With just a wee little bit hunters instincts or intelligence a player should, after any successful kamikaze attack that did not quite sink the target, realize there is comfortably easy prey awaiting just for him/her. I am not at all a psychologist but I guess that on the other hand, some players could be displeased about the fact they received help with some of their kills and thus have to kinda "share" them.

I must be in an extremely uncreative mood these days because I came up with this kamikaze idea only yesterday when the wreck of an Avenger I had just shot down hit my sub destroying one of my frontmost compartments and thus sinking me even though my hull integrity was 100 and systems had only minimal damage before the Avenger hitting me. I was angry like "friggin Allied kamikaze fanatic".
There will be two types of Kamikaze. The regular planes and the Ohka which was a glide bomb with a rocket engine that they fired so they went so fast it was almost impossible to shoot them down.

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...141869&page=51

The idea for damaged enemy ships would not work. You can sink them if you are there but a specific mission to sink them would mean I would have to know where they are and if you damage a ship and leave the area, the game will eventually delete it. So when you arrived it would be gone. There may be ways to get around that but the game is very limited.

Also if a ship is damaged by bombs or Kamikazes then there will be planes in the area, so you may fire a couple of torpedoes at it, they hit but don't destroy it. So you fire another torpedo but a plane bombs it and destroys it before your torpedo hits then you do not get any renown for sinking it since technically you were not the one that sank it.

Peabody

System Spec: Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3, PentiumD Dual Core Presler 945 3.4Ghz, Gigabyte Geforce 7600GS, 2-1GB Corsair XMS2 800Mhz in Dual Channel, 2-WD 250 SATA 3Gb/s, Onboard Realtek HD 7.1 Audio, DVD ROM, DVD burner, Hiper 580 Watt Power supply, WinXP SP2.

Old 08-25-10, 06:20 PM   #844
tater
Navy Seal

Downloads: 8
Uploads: 2

Peabody, you could in fact have a scuttle a ship mission.

You'd need to clone the ship in question, then damage the clone. Not "in game" but damage the MODEL. Mess with the dat and zon files so she lists, whatever. Then have that ship appear in the player mission (only) at whatever time.

You can also avoid the rec manual entry for it. If you made a new warship type not in the list at the top of names.cfg, it will work, but won't get a rec manual entry. Since this ship would only appear explicitly, and ONCE, it can be such a type.

This can be used for other stuff as well.
tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-10, 11:07 PM   #845
peabody
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by tater View Post
Peabody, you could in fact have a scuttle a ship mission.

You'd need to clone the ship in question, then damage the clone. Not "in game" but damage the MODEL. Mess with the dat and zon files so she lists, whatever. Then have that ship appear in the player mission (only) at whatever time.

You can also avoid the rec manual entry for it. If you made a new warship type not in the list at the top of names.cfg, it will work, but won't get a rec manual entry. Since this ship would only appear explicitly, and ONCE, it can be such a type.

This can be used for other stuff as well.
I understand what you are saying, but the comment he made:

Quote:
The players of this mod could be happy if some of their missions include that they have to just finish off badly damaged enemy capital ships (battleships, carriers etc) as it would give lots of renown with a small number of torpedoes
I understood him to mean a ship that really is damaged during battle or by a plane so you may only need one torpedo to finish it off. I don't know of anyway to give the ship "real" damage. Possibly combine the two ideas with making the 'hitpoints' so low you could finish it off with one torpedo, that would be a possibility using your idea of pre-damaging (is that a word?) a ship.

Peabody

Old 08-25-10, 11:36 PM   #846
tater
Navy Seal

Downloads: 8

Copy a USN CV. Call her Yorktown. Give her a list in the dat. Burn the paint job slightly in the right places. Put smoke on her if you like. Place her where you need her to be at Midway.

Make her easy to sink.

So yeah, it can be done.

There are problems with this stuff, though. If the player is near the battle, it might be confusing.

I suppose it might be possible to make ships that are zoned such that they can be heavily damaged by BOMBS, but not sunk at all by bombs. Put the propulsion damage up on top where it is impossible to miss Iit could go from below where it belongs to the superstructure so attacking subs can hit it, OR planes.

Have scripted planes attack ship, they will virtually always knock out engines because of faked DM. Ship is now dead in the water, but won't sink---but until that air attack acts normal. That might be better.
tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-10, 08:55 AM   #847
keltos01
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 114
Uploads: 18

Kaiten damage !

Left Type 95 mod 1 damage, right : Kaiten type 1 damage

btw on the 4 funnel DD the Y gun only fires to port ? wasn't that problem ever fixed ?

Last edited by keltos01; 08-30-10 at 09:54 AM.
keltos01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-10, 11:05 AM   #848
keltos01
Silent Hunter

thought I could finish that DD off with my DG...

Old 09-02-10, 02:15 PM   #849
armin
Watch

Downloads: 252
Uploads: 0

Will the mod include also japan voice messages from movies?
armin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-10, 04:03 PM   #850
peabody
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by armin View Post
Will the mod include also japan voice messages from movies?
We do not have a final decision on that. Probably not in the first release if we can get it done and get all the problems fixed. There are a LOT of voices to do in the game. We may do one set and just use it for all of them.

The trouble with voices from movies is that most of them have either background sounds or music. Some can be eliminated with some audio editing, some can not. So it ends up not sounding right.

We had some plans for voices but it fell through.

Peabody

Old 09-02-10, 04:26 PM   #851
Nisgeis
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 77
Uploads: 11

Peabody, have you looked into hiring a few voice actors? I don't think it would be that expensive, as you can get pricing by the word and last time I looked into it, the cost was quite reasonable. I'm sure people would want to pitch in with a few paypal donations to cover the cost.
Old 09-02-10, 04:36 PM   #852
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 109

Here is what could be a costless solution: text to speech freeware programs, with voice packs (accented for various languages): http://www.bytecool.com/voices.htm
Old 09-02-10, 09:17 PM   #853
peabody
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nisgeis View Post
Peabody, have you looked into hiring a few voice actors? I don't think it would be that expensive, as you can get pricing by the word and last time I looked into it, the cost was quite reasonable. I'm sure people would want to pitch in with a few paypal donations to cover the cost.
Not in my neck of the woods and I do mean woods. Unless it was done by phone and maybe put on a CD and mailed, the closest place to me would probably be 6-7 hour drive one way. Especially Japanese.

@ Hitman: From what I saw the program isn't free just the speech packs that go with it. But it would definitely be worth it to try the trial version to see what it does. You think the speech pack would have "Man your Battlestations." ? Of course it wouldn't matter, I wouldn't know the difference if they were saying "Fasten your seatbelts, prepare for takeoff."

I thank you both for the ideas.

Right now speech has not been at the top of the list will all the other things going on. (including RL)
Peabody

Old 09-03-10, 05:18 AM   #854
keltos01
Silent Hunter

fire torpedoes : 火魚雷

periscope :
潜望鏡 depth : 深さ

http://www.oddcast.com/home/demos/tt...le.php?sitepal

this is going to be tedious to say the least ! then you have to record it, save it as ogg with the same length as the original...

also : http://hil.t.u-tokyo.ac.jp/~galatea/

keltos

Last edited by keltos01; 09-03-10 at 06:09 AM.
Old 09-03-10, 05:47 AM   #855
keltos01
Silent Hunter

Kaidai 3a at Saint Nazaire, France

entering sub pen at Saint Nazaire, France.

surprise !!!!

So that's where our posters are displayed

keltos