SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-31-08, 08:24 AM   #31
wildcard1988
Swabbie

Downloads: 23
Uploads: 0

Great work on this always wanted to sail around and blow the hell out of ships with the tripple 16's but how do u get them to auto target and fire? my crew are at battle stations and jus sit there twiddling their thumbs so i have to get off my nice comfey bridge and do it myself

Last edited by wildcard1988; 12-31-08 at 08:58 AM.
wildcard1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-08, 10:02 AM   #32
tomhugill
Planesman

Well they do work in playable ships , but i dont think they can be used at compartments or bulkheads
tomhugill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-08, 01:53 PM   #33
polyfiller
Weps

Downloads: 40

Tom - made some progress today.... however run into problems with the way the admiral sheer has been converted from SH3. In short I'm having trouble getting anything in the conning tower to take damage. The sheer differs from the yamato in that it has a seperate unit parts for the conning tower... and for the sheer it looks like it's in a bit of state. Specifically the parent node id for the damage zones is not the parent node for the 3d model for the conning tower ... because the .dat file is not structured right.

Not sure what the best move is next. I tried creating a version of the sheer without the seperate unit parts (added nodes to the main ship.dat file like O01, O02, O03, O04, C01, D01, D01 and the WCS_01_dummy nodes ... for watch crew ??). Then added seperate deck watch compartment and flack compartments to the UPC (using definitions from the yamato). No joy though - CTD at mission launch. There must be more nodes in the conning tower.dat file I need in the main ship.dat file I'm not aware of.

On the up side I think I got things like steering controls working (you implemented in the yamato but they never showed up in the damage model in the control room). I add a specific entry in the equipment.upc file of type hydraulic pump and named it helm control and also one for bridge telegraph). Will post detail if you want.

Trouble I'm having is that when equipment shows as damaged int he damage screen it's still working e.g. all engines out - still able to make 20 Kts ! Any ideas ?

Despite the issues above it's nice to see the sheer take damage in most areas via the zones I added. Just wich the conning tower was easier to sort out !
polyfiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-09, 10:20 AM   #34
tomhugill
Planesman

Actually the admiral Scheers was added in the U-boat missions add on so is native to sh4. As for the crashing issues i found adding blocks from other ships didnt work as you will inevitably have conflicts , my method was to first get the overall compartment structure sorted then model each compartment in the upc and the zone file. So that its easier to trace conflicts. Might be the best way to go if your having CTD issues. Im not sure what you mean by conning tower , do you mean the bridge? As regard to the node thing , I only used the nodes as a center point for my damage zones as found tht there where enough nodes there already to put in the damage zones i needed. The nodes and the damage boxes arent really inter-linked i just use them to position my damage boxes. If you think of the damage boxes as just being invisible points in space and not really realated to the 3d model (except for positioning) you cant go wrong!

I did put in a steering controls and engine controls in one version I think but I decided they didnt seem to much and the little icon just looked like a pump so I took them out. When your steering controls/engine controls are fully damaged do things stop functioning?

Wierd about the engine damage , In the yamato you couldnt take full engine damage without the whole engine compartment being destroyed which caused a massive fuel leak (but then this happened the engines did stop working). This was something I never managed to control but I thought it was a nice unintended feature so I left it in.

I think i might revisit my damage models due to these advances people are making , adding ammo and fuel bunkers etc and more separate new zones for separate engines etc. Would be good to get things functioning to the degree submarines do , where ruders etc and be totally destroyed crippling you (bismark anyone)
Old 01-01-09, 12:55 PM   #35
tomhugill
Planesman

Also i think you need the crewsensors.cfg i think thts the file tweaking so the ai gunners will engage other ships
Old 01-02-09, 12:47 PM   #36
polyfiller
Weps

Tom - by conning tower I mean the files in \data\objects and the unitparts5KMS_Admiralsheer.upc in the UPDATAGE\UPCUNITS data. There seems to be tow approaches to adding playable ships; 1) Define everything in the main ship UPC and DAT files and 2) Define seperate data for the deck watch in the UPCUNITS data file. All that seems to be in the UPCUNITS file is a definition of deck wath and AA. The matching KMS_AdmiralScheer_Turm01.dat file in \objects cotains, among other things, the mount points for TDC, deck watch, radar antenna and the like. I figured if I could add these points to the main ships .DAT file, I could dispense with the conning tower. I got the ship to work without the conning tower by commenting out this section from the main UPC file;

;[UserPlayerUnit 1.UnitPartSlot 1]
;ID=KMS_AdmiralScheerConningSlot
;NameDisplayable=Conning Tower Mount
;Type=NULL
;AcceptedTypes=KMS_AdmiralScheerConningTower
;IDLinkUnitPartIntervalDefault1= NULL, NULL, KMS_AdmiralScheer_Turm01
;ExternalNodeName3D= Z01

However what I can't do is make a single change to the main ships .DAT file using S3D without causing the game to CTD when I launch a mission. To test my process, I used S3D to add an additional node O02 to the Yamato.dat file - worked no problem. Do the same to the admiral sheer and it CTD's. I even tried editing just a single position entry for one item in the .DAT file (changed -1.00018329 to -1.00018328) ... just as a test and again it causes CTD for the admiral sheer. So what it looks like is happenning is that S3D is corrupting a block of the sheers .DAT file when it saves it. GRRR.

Thanks for the pointer to the NCA_Deutschland. What I'm trying now is working out how to make an AI ship playable using S3D by referring to the Yamato files and also the admiral sheer file (for positioning). So what I'm gonna do is use the Deutschland.dat file and make it playable from scrtach, and then link the .zon file I has been working on for the sheer. This should be fun.

Don't suppose anyone has any ideas why S3D is goosing the Admiral Sheer.dat when I save it ??

Tom - I'll test the damage impacts on the "phoney" rudder controls I added again - I think I got it so as if the rudder controls in the control room were damaged, then I couldn't change course. I'll check and let you know. As for the phoney engine controls (called it Bridge Telegraph or something) ... I don't think that did work i.e. could still change speed when damaged). Will take a look and let you know.
Old 01-02-09, 01:07 PM   #37
polyfiller
Weps

Tom - quick update. Appears there was a problem with S3D. Skwasjer has just released V0.9.4 and has corrected the issue. I am now in the process of adding all the required conning tower nodes (for deck watch positions, TDC, radar mounts etc) to the main .DAt file ... and expect to be able to get the whole ship, including the conning tower, to take damage.

Having made the above progress, I'm going to try and play around with getting engine damage to slow the ship.
Old 01-04-09, 02:43 AM   #38
woofiedog
Engineer

Downloads: 9

Had a chance to try out this great ship and you did a fantastic job with this addition to the surface fleet for SHIV. Thank's for all of this hard work!
Old 01-05-09, 06:01 AM   #39
duckdevil
Watch

Downloads: 7

Looks very nice man, keep up the good work

Is it either possible, to play this nice ship on SH4 1.5 withouth U-Boat Missions ?
Old 01-05-09, 11:02 AM   #40
tomhugill
Planesman

SHould be its cloned from a us sub
Old 01-05-09, 03:07 PM   #41
duckdevil
Watch

Poor noob i am lol, do i need JGSME to install this or just copy the files ?
If JGSME is needed, can someone please give me a link to download it then ?

Greets, Ducky
Old 01-05-09, 08:26 PM   #42
revan999
Nub

Downloads: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckdevil
Poor noob i am lol, do i need JGSME to install this or just copy the files ?
If JGSME is needed, can someone please give me a link to download it then ?

Greets, Ducky
http://hosted.filefront.com/CaptSovhan/

You should see it on that page, the top one listed with the numbers.

Unzip it and place it in a folder named NC or something along those lines and slap it in your mods location and you should be set to use it with jsgme.
revan999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-09, 10:47 AM   #43
duckdevil
Watch

I have played this ship, jesus christ its immortal.
I sunk 16 ships with it while they where shooting at me, i gained some damage but not lethal damage, this ship is just awesome.

By the way, is there a release of a playable Bismarck ?
Old 01-06-09, 11:36 AM   #44
bertle
Watch

Downloads: 20

have I done something wrong? Nothing can touch me, no bomb or enemy battleship can damage anything, not even the Yamato

Also to clear something up, do I need both files from the filefront place or just the latest one?
bertle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-09, 05:41 PM   #45
peabody
Admiral

Downloads: 126
Uploads: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by polyfiller
I figured if I could add these points to the main ships .DAT file, I could dispense with the conning tower. I got the ship to work without the conning tower by commenting out this section from the main UPC file;

;[UserPlayerUnit 1.UnitPartSlot 1]
;ID=KMS_AdmiralScheerConningSlot
;NameDisplayable=Conning Tower Mount
;Type=NULL
;AcceptedTypes=KMS_AdmiralScheerConningTower
;IDLinkUnitPartIntervalDefault1= NULL, NULL, KMS_AdmiralScheer_Turm01
;ExternalNodeName3D= Z01
You can definately eliminate the conning tower using that method but you should add the necessary compartments, crewmember, and equipment slots to the sub's UPC file not just the .dat file. That way they will show in the crew/equipment/management screens.

Peabody

System Spec: Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3, PentiumD Dual Core Presler 945 3.4Ghz, Gigabyte Geforce 7600GS, 2-1GB Corsair XMS2 800Mhz in Dual Channel, 2-WD 250 SATA 3Gb/s, Onboard Realtek HD 7.1 Audio, DVD ROM, DVD burner, Hiper 580 Watt Power supply, WinXP SP2.

peabody is offline   Reply With Quote