SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-04-13, 03:04 PM   #1
Dutch Cees de Snoo
Watch

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default destroying sampans

Do anyone destroy sampans?I never do,sound stupid but I have to leave them alone.
Dutch Cees de Snoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-13, 03:37 PM   #2
les green01
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 1375

depends on where im at if im off the coast of japan I do
Old 04-04-13, 03:42 PM   #3
Father Goose
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 59

Be advised, they may have radios and even guns and can report your position especially the ones around Japan. Proceed with caution. If it's 1-2 with radios or guns, I'll take them out with the deck gun. But if it's more in the area, I'm not going to start a major naval engagement with a bunch of fishing boats.
Father Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-13, 04:04 PM   #4
Armistead
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 364

Fishing boats, Sampams may belong to any nation, but you have no way of knowing, except in they're in the waters near the nation. If they belong to Japan, they can report your position. Yes, some are armed. Later war you'll run into more Sampan convoys that will be carrying cargo. You can see the crates if you look.

You see my dog don't like people laughing. He gets the crazy idea you're laughing at him. Now if you apologize like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.
Armistead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-13, 05:39 PM   #5
andy_311
The Old Man

Downloads: 82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father Goose View Post
Be advised, they may have radios and even guns and can report your position especially the ones around Japan. Proceed with caution. If it's 1-2 with radios or guns, I'll take them out with the deck gun. But if it's more in the area, I'm not going to start a major naval engagement with a bunch of fishing boats.
I had a few runins with them but it does not matter in Fall of the rising sun blast them into kingdom come but the planes will come,and they will join there fellow freinds and have a long swim back.
Old 04-04-13, 07:39 PM   #6
razark
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 393
Uploads: 12

[patriotic rant]
Fishing boats provide food to the enemy. Every boat you sink deprives the enemy of food to feed his soldiers and workers. If you can keep a Japanese marine from eating breakfast, our boys will have that much easier of a time on the beaches. Every factory worker that misses his lunch means less depth charges on your head. Every AA gunner that misses dinner will be that much less effective when our B-29s come over. Every airman kept awake with a grumbling stomach reduces the effectiveness of those search planes overhead.

In short, it is not just a good idea, but it is your patriotic duty as an American sailor to sink every Japanese vessel you find and make them pay for what they've done to our boys on Wake and Bataan and Pearl!
[/patriotic rant]

Or, you know, don't. It's up to you. I usually go after them if I haven't seen anything in a while. The boys like to get up on deck and try out the deck gun once in a while.
Old 04-05-13, 05:41 AM   #7
Dutch Cees de Snoo
Watch

Downloads: 0

Well I know it is only a game , but when I am not around the waters of Japan I leave them alone. Thinking of that poor sailor /fisherman who has to feed his family. Heart story's from my Indonesian friends that the people there suffered a lot from the Japanese occupation, and could barely survive. Despite the horrible death threads from the Japanese, they smuggled weapons and people to fight against the Japanese army On this moment I am around the waters of Celebes. I know ,I think to realistic, but is that not the meaning of this game?
Old 04-05-13, 09:46 PM   #8
TorpX
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 153
Uploads: 11

Yes, I see your point. However, they were, sometimes being used actively in the war effort. In some areas, they were ferrying supplies because larger vessels were not available or too valuable to risk. They also were sometimes used as anti-submarine pickets/patrols.
TorpX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-13, 02:28 AM   #9
21kamando
Swabbie

Downloads: 2

Given that I don't plan on fighting aircraft, if I got ammo to spare on my twin 20 mike-mikes I usually will sink them even early in the war. Every bit helps.

“This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can.” -- Rear Admiral Robert W. Copeland
21kamando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-13, 09:09 AM   #10
merc4ulfate
DILLIGAF

Downloads: 210

They add to tonnage so why not? During the early evening you can normally leave the area without any aircraft the next morning. During the day you should expect aircraft sometime in the near future after sinking them.

I normally do not waste to much time with one but if I see a group of four I will sink them all.
merc4ulfate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-14, 12:42 PM   #11
nionios
Sparky

Downloads: 82
Default Attacking sampans/fishing boats

When i had once attacked a sampan, its crew returned fire.Does this mean that they had been working for the Japs or just they had been defending themselves?
nionios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-14, 01:23 PM   #12
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Cees de Snoo View Post
Do anyone destroy sampans?I never do,sound stupid but I have to leave them alone.
DO WE EVER! AN INSTRUCTIONAL VIDEO: LEAVE NO WITNESSES!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-14, 02:31 PM   #13
Roger Dodger
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 74
Default Sink 'em All!

After the first month of the war, ANY sampan or fishing boat (no matter where) is considered an enemy vessel. They will be supplying the Japs with food (fish) or running supplies for them. War is Hell! Sink 'em All. Doing so adds to your tonnage and gives your gunners something to do (good practice).

I don't usually take on a freighter with deck guns since so many are armed with guns that could do some serious damage to my boat, but Sampans and Fishing Boats seldom have more than a couple of machine guns and are considered fair game.

Good Hunting!
Old 10-13-14, 02:40 PM   #14
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome back!

Roger Dodger! after almost a year of silent running!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-14, 03:03 PM   #15
jcope
Bosun

Downloads: 34

Anyone know what was done in reality?
jcope is offline   Reply With Quote