SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-11-17, 12:54 AM   #301
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

The first trailer is out. It's just a collection of sound clips from previous episodes. disappointing.

Flanked by life and the funeral pyre. Putting on a show for you to see.
August is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-17, 04:57 AM   #302
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by August View Post
Any reason given for the delay?
Quote:
HBO has made a habit of debuting new GoT episodes in the spring – ordinarily in early April. But this year, it'll launch a little later, in the summer months.

"We're starting a bit later because at the end of this season, 'Winter is here' – and that means that sunny weather doesn't really serve our purposes any more," showrunners David Benioff and Dan Weiss previously confirmed.

"So we kind of pushed everything down the line, so we could get some grim grey weather even in the sunnier places that we shoot."
http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/game-of...-need-to-know/

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-17, 07:12 AM   #303
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

6th seasons starts in Germany today for the first time in free TV.
Old 03-11-17, 07:46 AM   #304
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
Don't watch it matey, they all die in the end

Old 03-11-17, 05:12 PM   #305
Nippelspanner
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
I sometimes watch an episode or two if I got nothing better to do. It is mind blowing how dull, soulless and cringeworthy this great series is... In German.
I can't take it seriously at all.

That also underlines how tremendously skilled the actors in that show are, their original accents, how they can deliver simple lines that still make your neck hairs rise.
Love it.

In German?
Trololol Roflcopter.
Old 03-11-17, 05:44 PM   #306
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nippelspanner View Post
I sometimes watch an episode or two if I got nothing better to do. It is mind blowing how dull, soulless and cringeworthy this great series is... In German.
I can't take it seriously at all.

That also underlines how tremendously skilled the actors in that show are, their original accents, how they can deliver simple lines that still make your neck hairs rise.
Love it.

In German?
Trololol Roflcopter.

Dubbing in general has never appealed to me. I'd much rather see a movie in the original language and read subtitles.

Old 03-11-17, 06:16 PM   #307
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 32

I rather read subtitles, dubs just take away from the actual actor.

PS. Proper subs, down to the screen, not the ones that go all over the screen.
Dowly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-17, 08:30 PM   #308
Skybird
Soaring

I saw one episode in English I think two years ago. I had no difficulty to understand it of course, but it was distracting. The big advantage that Nippelspanner described, I cannot see here, the German textings are not bad, and I am by now too used to the sound of the German voice actors.

I have heard much worse translations in German dubs. Blade Runner directors cut is an offence and a showcase of incompetence. Alien also stood out to be a very bad exmaple. But usually, generally, the German industry does dubbing very well. This series does fine in this regard.

And in the end it is all fictional anyway, or does anyone think that Terran English would be the official office language of Westeros, if it would exist?
Old 03-12-17, 05:53 AM   #309
Nippelspanner
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Fictional or not, the actors, most of them, speak English and most importantly, so does the man who built this whole world, I think that's authority enough to claim that English is *the* GOT language.

That you can't see what I talked about probably goes back to you not being able to know better. If you've just seen one episode in English, I'm not surprised and naturally you being used to the dubbed version NY now adds to the confusion.
I agree that German translations are often very high quality, maybe they are even the best compared to other countries but in the end, nothing can top a movies or series original language, it's just not possible, except the initial product is garbage to begin with.

I mean, if that's your opinion, so be it, but it's quite weird honestly.
Old 03-12-17, 07:25 AM   #310
Skybird
Soaring

The German texts of Star Trek Classic are much better than the English original, since the Germans did not stick slavishly to the original text, but added - surprise - much more word gaming and humour to it, adding a relaxed, laid back attitude to the feeling of the show that in the original had a way more "militaristic", or material kind of language. The german version simply is better, more adequate fior the absurd settings, the English takes it all way too serious.

But an even better exmaple is "Die 2" (The Persuaders) with Roger Moore and Tony Curtis. A British series that was a flop in Britain, then came to Germany, and the Germans ripped out the complete text script and completely replaced it with what since then became known as "Schnodder-Snychro" - grotesque, humourous, often very funny wordings and even ryhmes that became such a successful phenomenon that it was copied in other countries. The French bought the German version, and dubbed/translated it into French - from the German, not the English. Later, the British bought back the rights for the German versions, and reworkd the original English text, replacing it with a translation from the German into the English. The show then was broadcasted again and was signficantly more successful in britain, canada, and even the US. I once saw a program on this, where they broadcasted one episode three times after a brief docu: the German, the original English and the translated English version. The second english version was way better than the first one, the original was - boring.

To say original langauge is always the best for a film, is nonsense. Sometimes it has more relevance, sometimes less. The artistic aim plays a role, Rambo does not suffer from being translated into another language, while Shakespeare may make language more relevant... I fail to see GoT being that much depending on the English original. Fawlty'S Towers, however, needs the Egnlish version indeed, the German one did nt make me laugh (I admit the English did not make me laugh either, I just dont like this show).

I only say it is stupid to make a festish of something that last but not least to such a big ammount is a question of subjective taste.

Personally, I do not like subtitles, I find them extremely annoying, since it distracts me.

The key to good dubbing is to find a well-matching voice for the physical appearance of the film actor, and to not try to slavishly stick to the original text and then linearly translating it word by word. The rythm of what is beign spoken, sometimes even the ryhming, is as important, if not more. I am ften surprised and dissapointed when hearing for exmaple some Hollywood actor speaking with his own voice. The German voices often fit so much better: the actor and the characters he plays as well. Sean Connery. Robert de Niro. Al Pacino. Harrison Ford. I am still shocked when I hear them in their own voices, its as if they have breathed helium.

Finally, listening to a foreign language sooner or later brings most people to the limits of what they can do and understand in that foreign language. Usually passive vocabulary is bigger than active vocabulary - me is a good exmaple My limits were for example met when I tried to read the Gormenghast novels by Mervyn Peake in English - the first volume at least. I did, most of it, but it was a terrible battle, and I missed much of the pleasure and fun due to the extremely formidable language that Peake used in these books, and conctsntly needing to nterrupt and search things in the dictionary. I could not enjoy the beauty and humour in it because I could not grab it. Thankfully, contemporary ordinary English is not as artistic as the language in these books. By comparison, reading Dune and Lord of the Rings in English, was a breeze.
Old 07-17-17, 07:36 AM   #311
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

WINTER IS COMING...

*Watch for the cameo role by Ed Sheeran*

Old 07-17-17, 10:38 AM   #312
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

No, winter is HERE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
*Watch for the cameo role by Ed Sheeran*
Had no idea who he is. Watched it with the band after rehearsal yesterday. They all knew who he is, and made sure I did too.

Killer opening, and no, I'm not being punny. One of my friends said "But isn't he...?"

You'll have to watch it to get the reference. No spoilers here.
Old 07-17-17, 01:07 PM   #313
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Quote:
No spoilers here
Can we have another GoT thread were we can post spoilers? It's kind of useless to have a thread where we can't discuss the show except in general terms.

Old 07-17-17, 02:30 PM   #314
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by August View Post
Can we have another GoT thread were we can post spoilers? It's kind of useless to have a thread where we can't discuss the show except in general terms.
I'd have thought if there was a secondary thread (we tend not to repeat thread themes wherever possible for the obvious reason of forum clutter) the temptation would be too hard for people to resist and content would almost inevitably spread to the other thread.

Neal may disagree but I'd prefer it if we kept to one topic, one thread.

Old 07-17-17, 02:57 PM   #315
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
I'd have thought if there was a secondary thread (we tend not to repeat thread themes wherever possible for the obvious reason of forum clutter) the temptation would be too hard for people to resist and content would almost inevitably spread to the other thread.

Neal may disagree but I'd prefer it if we kept to one topic, one thread.
But if we can't discuss spoilers then what is the point of having a thread about the show at all?

Tags
game of thrones, thrones