SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Sub & Naval Discussions: World Naval News, Books, & Films
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-12-16, 09:30 AM   #1
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

radar The scary, practical reason the navy is once again teaching celestial navigation

The scary, practical reason the navy is once again teaching celestial navigation

Quote:
As GPS technology steadily becomes better and better, so does our reliance on it. Need to go to the store? Google Maps. Need to go on a road trip to a distant city? Boot up the Garmin. You can even pinpoint why your Uber driver is taking so long to pick you up. At this point, if GPS suddenly vanished, we’d all be a bit confused and upset.

However, the stakes are significantly higher when your job requires you to fly a fighter jet or steer an aircraft carrier, which is why the US Naval Academy has decided to start once again teaching sailors how to navigate with the stars.
Onkel Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-16, 10:03 AM   #2
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22
Uploads: 0

They must be catching up with the Maritime Academy just down the road at Vallejo. Two of the cadets living aboard a 30' Hunter in my dock mentioned they were learning that. My captain has two sextants and says he knows how...meanwhile we just use our tablet's GPS or a worthy chartbook. Fortunately today is sunny and in the 70's so I'll probably use 'solar navigation' ie "let's see it's high noon and the sun is to my left so I must be headed west"

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-16, 12:06 PM   #3
moose1am
Frogman

Downloads: 0
Default GPS Satellites are vulnerable to attack and destruction by our enemies

If a full scale all out war was to start someday the first target may be command and control operations. That only makes sense IF war were to break out. Let's hope it never does.

But the Chinese have anti satellite rocket/missiles designed to destroy our GPS Satellites. Without those GPS Satellites our GPS navigation system is not going to work.

I heard on the news last night that the Navy's GPS signals may have been Jammed by Iran which caused those sailors to be lost and end up captured by the Iranians. I'm not sure that can be done but if you know the frequency of the signal it might be possible to jam the receiving equipment maybe.

Why do you allow Iran to control those islands in the first place. I'm talking about the islands in the Northern Part of the Persian Gulf.

Moose1am

My avatar resembles the moderator as they are the ones that control the avatar on my page.
moose1am is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-16, 04:55 PM   #4
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

Up to the end of the 90s
A cadet In the Swedish navy, had to learned it the old way and he or she is not graduated before they can their stuff and first then they moved up to learn about modern navigation.

Markus
mapuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-16, 09:58 AM   #5
XabbaRus
Navy Seal

Downloads: 5

It's not hard to jam a GPS signal. You can easily make a simple one with stuff from a local electronics store. The signals are quite weak.
Old 02-13-16, 11:00 AM   #6
ikalugin
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 8

Depends on the receiver type. Military receivers require either multiple jammers or an extremely powerful one to achieve effects at reasonable range.
Old 02-14-16, 01:16 PM   #7
XabbaRus
Navy Seal

Downloads: 5

Yea I was meaning one that could screw up things like phones etc. The principle is quite simple. Definitely with in the means of the Iranians if they wanted to spoof a GPS.
Old 02-14-16, 05:15 PM   #8
ikalugin
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 8

Civilian GPS - yes. Military - no. Military grade receivers use a phazed array receiver and other such measures, meaning that you need 7-14 20kw jammers or 1 3Mw jammer to get effects at good ranges (ie over 100km).
Old 02-15-16, 10:54 AM   #9
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Quote:
Originally Posted by moose1am View Post
If a full scale all out war was to start someday the first target may be command and control operations. That only makes sense IF war were to break out. Let's hope it never does.

But the Chinese have anti satellite rocket/missiles designed to destroy our GPS Satellites. Without those GPS Satellites our GPS navigation system is not going to work.
That's exactly right, moose. Under war conditions, it would be pretty dangerous to rely solely on GPS.
Old 02-15-16, 11:45 AM   #10
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

^Except when steering for the sound of the guns!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote