SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-01-24, 01:59 PM   #1
ollyfitz
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 6
Uploads: 0
Default Player Medals

Hi

I'm new to subsim games and I thought I'd start off with a vanilla playthrough of a Silent Hunter 3 career, before either trying the GWX mod or UBOAT.

I've been doing pretty well and I managed to win the Iron Cross first and second class, and the Knights Cross with Oak Leaves, Swords and Diamonds.

Then I appeared to hit a wall because even though I'm sinking loads more tonnage than I did at the beginning of my career, the last three medals in the tray are yet to be awarded.

So I wondered... Are these medals just related to amount of tonnage sank or is there a particular milestone you have to reach or other criteria that needs to be met to be awarded the remaining three medals?

Also, in the historic mission mode I met the first mission objective, avoided being sank by the destroyers, and managed to return to a friendly base, but when I pressed escape the only option available was to abandon mission? And in the mission select screen there is no indication that I have completed that mission (I thought it might show a tick or something?) Is that right?

Cheers,

Ollie
ollyfitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-24, 04:41 PM   #2
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome aboard!

ollyfitz!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-24, 02:09 AM   #3
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 297

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollyfitz View Post
Hi

I'm new to subsim games and I thought I'd start off with a vanilla playthrough of a Silent Hunter 3 career, before either trying the GWX mod or UBOAT.

I've been doing pretty well and I managed to win the Iron Cross first and second class, and the Knights Cross with Oak Leaves, Swords and Diamonds.

Then I appeared to hit a wall because even though I'm sinking loads more tonnage than I did at the beginning of my career, the last three medals in the tray are yet to be awarded.

So I wondered... Are these medals just related to amount of tonnage sank or is there a particular milestone you have to reach or other criteria that needs to be met to be awarded the remaining three medals?

Also, in the historic mission mode I met the first mission objective, avoided being sank by the destroyers, and managed to return to a friendly base, but when I pressed escape the only option available was to abandon mission? And in the mission select screen there is no indication that I have completed that mission (I thought it might show a tick or something?) Is that right?

Cheers,

Ollie
Not sure why you were not able to end the mission normally. But for medals, tonnage is by far the most important criteria. You will get a small bonus for arriving at the designated patrol area, but the most important thing is to sink ships - preferably valuable ones. You can check data/cfg/basic.cfg to see how many points are needed for the different medals.
iambecomelife is offline   Reply With Quote