SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Sub & Naval Discussions: World Naval News, Books, & Films
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-25-17, 03:49 AM   #1
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38
Uploads: 0

Default Sub collision off Holy Loch 40+ years ago?

Isn't that old news?
The beginning of a secret co(l)d war?

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/ne...-war-hmdlcm0p0

From The Times today's article:

"The crash between an American submarine carrying 160 nuclear warheads and a Soviet vessel was so serious that it could have led to a third world war, one expert claimed."

"The incident took place in shallow waters near Holy Loch, Argyll, about 30 miles from Glasgow. The US maintained a nuclear submarine base at Holy Loch between 1961 and 1992."

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.

Last edited by Catfish; 01-25-17 at 04:46 AM.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-17, 07:16 AM   #2
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

There was always a lot of traffic (both known and suspected) around that area in those days and it has long been rumoured here in the UK that other collisions involving Royal Navy vessels also went unreported to the public.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-17, 07:20 AM   #3
Catfish

^ Right, i was just astonished to find such an article on The Times' main page

Old 01-25-17, 07:51 AM   #4
Commander Wallace
Navy Seal

Downloads: 360

There have been as Jim said a number of collisions between subs, documented and otherwise unknown. I'm sure the actual number would be astonishing. 40 years later, they felt safe enough reporting it ?
Commander Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-17, 11:33 AM   #5
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
Isn't that old news?
The beginning of a secret co(l)d war?

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/ne...-war-hmdlcm0p0

From The Times today's article:

"The crash between an American submarine carrying 160 nuclear warheads and a Soviet vessel was so serious that it could have led to a third world war, one expert claimed."

"The incident took place in shallow waters near Holy Loch, Argyll, about 30 miles from Glasgow. The US maintained a nuclear submarine base at Holy Loch between 1961 and 1992."
Twenty-three safety devices on each missile kept them safe from a nuclear accident ... possibly the reactor would scramble, but they have a diesel back up to make it back to port.

Longer range missiles keep us from using Holy Loch anymore ... no telling how many enemy vessels were waiting for a boomer to go on patrol.
or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Mr Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-17, 11:40 AM   #6
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Wallace View Post
There have been as Jim said a number of collisions between subs, documented and otherwise unknown. I'm sure the actual number would be astonishing. 40 years later, they felt safe enough reporting it ?
Here's one few people know about: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Von_Steuben_(SSBN-632)

Quote:
On August 9, 1968, while operating submerged about 40 miles (64 kilometers) off the southern coast of Spain, the USS Von Steuben (SSBN-632) was struck by a submerged tow cable connecting a tug and a merchant tanker called the Sealady (Sealady was a liberty ship previously named Bengt H. Larson (1959) and before that was named Alan Seeger (1954)). Due to the merchant being under tow at the time of the collision, the ship had no engine noise for the submarine to detect its presence. When it became apparent the submarine had lost depth control and steering, but not knowing why, the submarine conducted an emergency main ballast tank blow, which resulted in the collision of the submarine and the towed ship. The submarine suffered external damage to the sail and superstructure. After local repairs at the submarine squadron facilities in Rota, she reported to Groton, Connecticut, for more detailed repairs at the Electric Boat Division of General Dynamics Corporation, after which she resumed deterrent patrols out of Rota.
The Sealady sank in the harbor of Cadiz, Spain in plain sight of the submarine base at Rota.
or achievement

Old 01-25-17, 12:16 PM   #7
Commander Wallace
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Quatro View Post
Here's one few people know about: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Von_Steuben_(SSBN-632)

The Sealady sank in the harbor of Cadiz, Spain in plain sight of the submarine base at Rota.

Thanks for the info and update.

The contract to build Von Steuben was awarded on 20 July 1961 and her keel was laid down there on 4 September 1962.

Decommissioning and disposal

Von Steuben was decommissioned on 26 February 1994 and stricken from the Naval Vessel Register simultaneously. Her scrapping via the Nuclear-Powered Ship and Submarine Recycling Program at Bremerton, Washington, began on 1 October 2000 and was completed on 30 October 2001. Von Steuben's age from delivery to disposal was 37.2 years.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Von_Steuben_(SSBN-632)

37 years is a long time to serve.
Old 01-25-17, 12:58 PM   #8
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default the full monty: inadvertant butcher's bill

http://everything2.com/title/Submarine+Collisions PS: the USS Madison SSBN 627 (in the OP article) carried 16 ballistic missiles not 160 and was decommissioned at Mare Island CA 2/18/92
Quote:
Armament: 4 × 21 inches (530 mm) Mark 65 torpedo tubes (bow; Mark 48torpedoes, (At the time of the collision: 16 Polaris A-3 later upgraded to Poseidon C-s and Trident C-4) 16 vertical launch missile tubes amidships, various small arms
USS Madison in dry-dock in Scotland 1974, only days after collision. The
collision left a nine-foot scrape in the Madison. According to
Anderson the two submarines came within inches of sinking one
another. The Madison proceeded to Holy Loch, Scotland, to effect
repairs. The U.S. Navy refused to comment on the incident. http://www.skeptictank.org/treasure/GP5/SOVNUK.TXT
edit: in tracking what happened to the Victor class Russian sub involved (no mention so presumably all good) I feel sorrier for the Russians: http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/world/russia/pl-casualties.htm

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"

Last edited by Aktungbby; 01-25-17 at 01:13 PM.
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-17, 01:07 PM   #9
Commander Wallace
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktungbby View Post
http://everything2.com/title/Submarine+Collisions PS: the USS Madison SSBN 627 (in the OP article) carried 16 ballistic missiles not 160 and was decommissioned at Mare Island CA 2/18/92 USS Madison in dry-dock in Scotland 1974, only days after collision. The
collision left a nine-foot scrape in the Madison. According to
Anderson the two submarines came within inches of sinking one
another. The Madison proceeded to Holy Loch, Scotland, to effect
repairs. The U.S. Navy refused to comment on the incident. http://www.skeptictank.org/treasure/GP5/SOVNUK.TXT

The article never said 160 nuclear missiles but rather 160 nuclear warheads. 16 missiles X 10 warheads or MIRV's a piece = 160 warheads although specs say the newer versions carried 3 MIRV's a piece as you said. This is the A3 you mentioned at the time of the collision.

http://military.wikia.com/wiki/James...lass_submarine

It also could carry the Poseidon missile.

Quote: Poseidon could deliver up to fourteen W68 thermonuclear warheads[1] contained in Mark 3 reentry vehicles to multiple targets. The high-re-entry-speed design was intended to counter Sprint-type terminal ABM defenses. See Atmospheric re-entry for blunt body theory.

http://military.wikia.com/wiki/UGM-73_Poseidon.

That would be 16 missiles X 14 = 224 Mirvs unless I'm reading this wrong. The author of the original article may just have been confused.

Great links and good reading though.

Last edited by Commander Wallace; 01-25-17 at 01:36 PM.
Old 01-25-17, 01:44 PM   #10
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

OH NO correct away! I had considered MIRV's incl the Poeidon C-3 but couldn't get the count:
Quote:
The A3 was the first Polaris to have multiple reentry vehicles. The Polaris program started development in 1956. USS George Washington, the first US missile submarine, successfully launched the first Polaris missile from a submerged submarine on July 20, 1960. The A-2 version of the Polaris missile was essentially an upgraded A-1, and it entered service in late 1961. It was fitted on a total of 13 submarines and served until June 1974.(1). Ongoing problems with the W-47 warhead, especially with its mechanical arming and safing equipment, led to large numbers of the missiles being recalled for modifications, and the U.S. Navy sought a replacement with either a larger yield or equivalent destructive power. The result was the W-58 warhead used in a "cluster" of three warheads for the Polaris A-3, the final model of the Polaris missile.
The confusion thus arises: If the USS Madison even had the latest W-58 version in 1974 as of the collision date, and if that: 'three war heads'
per silo-thus I assumed the "lesser of two weevils" (this being a Naval forum) and went with a dramatic Newspaper typo error on the assumption: 'Ya gotta sell papers'..assuming the W-58 makes it 48 warheads imho. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UGM-27_Polaris <(enlarges)Transfer of a Polaris missile between USS Proteus and USS Patrick Henry at Holy Loch

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"

Last edited by Aktungbby; 01-25-17 at 02:09 PM.
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-17, 01:54 PM   #11
Commander Wallace
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktungbby View Post
OH NO correct away! I had considered MIRV's but couldn't get the count: The confusion thus arises: If the USS Madison even had the latest W-58 version in 1974 as of the collision date, and if that: 'three war heads' per silo-thus I assumed the "lesser of two weevils" (this being a Naval forum) and went with a dramatic Newspaper typo error on the assumption: 'Ya gotta sell papers'..assuming the W-58 makes it 48 warheads imho. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UGM-27_Polaris Transfer of a Polaris missile between USS Proteus and USS Patrick Henry at Holy Loch, Scotland, in 1961

You may well be right Aktung. It's really hard to know the exact count there. It still makes you think about the destructive power though.
Old 01-25-17, 04:42 PM   #12
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

I'm just glad that they never had to be used

I think the first boomers use to be called "Peace Keepers"

They had one that was named the USS Will Rogers who said, "I never met a man that didn't like" carring 16 missiles with only the Lord knows how many warheads on each one.

Do you think they are independently targeted or just add to the final conflict?

Seems almost impossible, uh? To target up to ten (10) warheads on each missile.
or achievement

Old 01-25-17, 05:04 PM   #13
Catfish

Quote:
I'm just glad that they never had to be used [...].
This must be the third time out of many more i actually agreee with you

Old 01-25-17, 05:17 PM   #14
Bilge_Rat
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 344

I don't if anyone ever read this book, "Blind man's bluff", which dealt with Cold war U.S. vs Russian sub ops:

https://www.amazon.ca/Blind-Mans-Blu.../dp/006097771X

I read it a long time ago, fascinating stuff if you are into subs. Anyway, there have been quite a few underwater sub vs sub collisions over the years, including as recently as 1992 and 1993.

As to why, sub captains on both sides were very aggressive in getting info on the other side, which meant tailing subs from very close, both to get info, but also not to lose them.

On top of that (and I am sure real submariners can explain much better than a landlubber like me), sound gear was nowhere near as perfect as we think from our games. It is hard to gauge exactly where another nearby sub is and under certain acoustic conditions, you may not pick up another sub until you are almost on top of it.

For example, the Barents Sea, which was a favorite hunting ground to track Soviet subs leaving on patrol has peculiar sound conditions, because of the depth and temperature and salinity variations. There are many sound channels and you might have absolutely no sound contact, followed by the sound of a freight train as a sub would suddenly appear on sonar close by.

The fact that there have been so many collisions over the years was one reason why the Russians initially thought the "Kursk" sinking was caused by a collision with a Nato sub.
Old 01-25-17, 06:01 PM   #15
Commander Wallace
Navy Seal

Quote:
I'm just glad that they never had to be used

Do you think they are independently targeted or just add to the final conflict?

Seems almost impossible, uh? To target up to ten (10) warheads on each missile.
The " mirvs " can be independently targeted on differents sites or the same site and Amen to them never having been used.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilge_Rat View Post
I don't if anyone ever read this book, "Blind man's bluff", which dealt with Cold war U.S. vs Russian sub ops:

https://www.amazon.ca/Blind-Mans-Blu.../dp/006097771X

I read it a long time ago, fascinating stuff if you are into subs. Anyway, there have been quite a few underwater sub vs sub collisions over the years, including as recently as 1992 and 1993.

As to why, sub captains on both sides were very aggressive in getting info on the other side, which meant tailing subs from very close, both to get info, but also not to lose them.

On top of that (and I am sure real submariners can explain much better than a landlubber like me), sound gear was nowhere near as perfect as we think from our games. It is hard to gauge exactly where another nearby sub is and under certain acoustic conditions, you may not pick up another sub until you are almost on top of it.

For example, the Barents Sea, which was a favorite hunting ground to track Soviet subs leaving on patrol has peculiar sound conditions, because of the depth and temperature and salinity variations. There are many sound channels and you might have absolutely no sound contact, followed by the sound of a freight train as a sub would suddenly appear on sonar close by.

The fact that there have been so many collisions over the years was one reason why the Russians initially thought the "Kursk" sinking was caused by a collision with a Nato sub.

I read it a while ago and the book detailed the collision of the USS Tautog with
with K-108, an Echo II class guided Missile Submarine in 1970 which is consistent with the thread topic. The Tautog was under the Command of Buele G. Balderston. Balderston, as a result, was relieved of his command. Commander Balderston later became a minister.

Quote :The former captain of the K-108, Boris Bogdasaryan, was able to provide a concise narrative of the collision. The collision resulted in no casualties aboard either submarine.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Tautog_(SSN-639)

It also detailed the exploits of Whitey mack, commander of the USS Lapon. Blind man's Bluff is a very good read if anyone is interested.

Last edited by Commander Wallace; 01-25-17 at 06:16 PM.