SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-14-11, 05:15 PM   #46
Anvart
Admiral

Downloads: 122
Uploads: 1

If you speak about hacking... it's hard and non fast work...

Moses said: "Don't create yourself an idol"...
Anvart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-11, 05:39 PM   #47
Madox58
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

There is nothing obvious in any file that I've found.
that includes the .act and .dll files.
I'd tend to agree with Anvart that it's all controlling the Camera view.

Games from the same era have no water like SH4/5
And shutting down the camera's ability to 'see' the objects makes more sense then
re-building the 3D object if one was to dip in and out of the water.
Remember the systems waaaaaaay back then?
They did not blow. Infact they did just the reverse!!
Old 04-14-11, 07:06 PM   #48
Seeadler
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 169
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Witteman View Post
What the SeaInf.raw is for?
I think the SeaInf.raw ist just the SeaInf.bmb in uncompressed RAW format and was intended to do the same thing as the climatezones.tga now in SH5, divide the world into climate zones.

The Arctic region in this file has a gray value=0, Med=80 and the rest of the world=150. In the Env.cfg these values ​​are assigned to the three different EnvColors/SkyColors dat files. But this approach is not been fully developed in SH3, because if I remember correctly, SH3 uses for all regions the EnvColors_Atl.dat and SkyColors_Atl.dat
Seeadler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-11, 08:47 PM   #49
Rubini
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 132

WOW! I was away from here these 2 last days and we have so much good news!
Very good work Hans!

Thanks also to all you guys to look at this issues. Thanks Seeadler!

Now, ok, I understand what Anvart and privateer said. I some days tried to fix "moon light" and could taste the not good flavour of that primitive graphic engine like Anvart said. You fix something just to see others things becomes broken or not work as intend.

But all we know that sometimes some things just worked well and could arrive as a very good mod after new ideas and insights! So, as these both matters, flood inside the boat and transparent water, are so good ones, I think that the effort in try to fix them is already a good motivation. Let´s go ahead guys!
Old 04-15-11, 09:15 PM   #50
Hans Witteman
Kaleun of U-3

Downloads: 123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubini View Post
WOW! I was away from here these 2 last days and we have so much good news!
Very good work Hans!

Thanks also to all you guys to look at this issues. Thanks Seeadler!

Now, ok, I understand what Anvart and privateer said. I some days tried to fix "moon light" and could taste the not good flavour of that primitive graphic engine like Anvart said. You fix something just to see others things becomes broken or not work as intend.

But all we know that sometimes some things just worked well and could arrive as a very good mod after new ideas and insights! So, as these both matters, flood inside the boat and transparent water, are so good ones, I think that the effort in try to fix them is already a good motivation. Let´s go ahead guys!
Hi Rubini,

Thank for the good words mate i am currently working on implementing the flooding with privateer we are trying to link the different animations i made to be call by the statemachines controller via conditions.

At first i found a cheap way to link it to the hull integrity but like i say to privateer hull integrity does not necessary mean flooding in compartment.

So what we are trying to do is to link it to the stateDamage conditions like Has_FloodIn, No_Flood as Anvart suggest earlier.

This way when you will enter in repair state the water will receded as repair are ongoing.

So this way it would be a very elegant and practical implementation

Best regards Hans

Hans Witteman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-11, 02:04 AM   #51
Hans Witteman
Kaleun of U-3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeadler View Post
I think the SeaInf.raw ist just the SeaInf.bmb in uncompressed RAW format and was intended to do the same thing as the climatezones.tga now in SH5, divide the world into climate zones.

The Arctic region in this file has a gray value=0, Med=80 and the rest of the world=150. In the Env.cfg these values ​​are assigned to the three different EnvColors/SkyColors dat files. But this approach is not been fully developed in SH3, because if I remember correctly, SH3 uses for all regions the EnvColors_Atl.dat and SkyColors_Atl.dat
Hi mate,

Thank for clarifying this one now at least i can put an X on it as nothing to do with this one.

The more we know the less we search and loose countless hours opening zillions of files.

Best regards Hans

Old 04-17-11, 08:21 PM   #52
Hans Witteman
Kaleun of U-3

Default Water flooding now working

Hi shipmates,

After DD shed light on 3d model identification tag the water flooding animation is now working in game!

Now i just have to finish the integration in statemachines class to make it work correctly under damage states condition like Has_FloodIn and No_Flood.

The minute i am done i will upload a movie showing it under damage!

Best regards Hans

Old 04-17-11, 09:18 PM   #53
Hans Witteman
Kaleun of U-3

Hi shipmates,

Since we now have a working solution for flooding compartment we need to discuss the correct implementation of it.

I will need your feedback on behavior in game because i don't play the game since close to 2 years so i don't remember all the behavior under damage.

The point is when hull integrity is declined in percentage this is not associated with flooding correct me if i am wrong here?

Flooding as far of my memory goes was on collision or being depth charge or ram aka collison?

So where should we make the flooding occur?

I think if it is link to Has_FloodIn and trigger water raising then after No_Flood state happen we then have the animated water lowering trigger this seem the best approach.

So waiting on your feedback for best behavioral implementation.

Best regards Hans

Old 04-17-11, 11:52 PM   #54
Fish In The Water
Prince of
the Sea

SUBSIM
Welcome
Committee

Downloads: 98
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Witteman View Post
After DD shed light on 3d model identification tag the water flooding animation is now working in game!
Awesome news!!

Truly a great development for SH3, congratulations on a job well done!!
Fish In The Water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-11, 01:29 AM   #55
Kaleun Cook
Chief

Downloads: 25

Quote:
The point is when hull integrity is declined in percentage this is not associated with flooding correct me if i am wrong here?
AFAIK that's right, you can loose a lot of hull integrity without having flooding. So floodin/noflood seems to be the better choice.
Kaleun Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-11, 02:09 AM   #56
Hans Witteman
Kaleun of U-3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaleun Cook View Post
AFAIK that's right, you can loose a lot of hull integrity without having flooding. So floodin/noflood seems to be the better choice.
Hi mate,

Yes i think that the only logical choice is to link it to HasFloodIn because when you have a collision it activate flood behavior depending on damage receive so by linking only to flood it should be correct.

Best regards Hans

Old 04-18-11, 02:29 AM   #57
urfisch
Sea Lord

Downloads: 42

nice, hans!!!

urfisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-11, 02:36 AM   #58
Hans Witteman
Kaleun of U-3

Quote:
Originally Posted by urfisch View Post
nice, hans!!!

Hi mate,

I am not alone on this one Diving Duck, Anvart and Privateer help me a lot to understand the logic behind it

Best regards Hans

Old 05-13-17, 02:31 AM   #59
anzacmick
Helmsman

Downloads: 134

gday all...been a long long time... anyways...raising this from the dead, was it ever implemented? do we still have the authors of this WIP lurking around, or is the knowledge freely available.... this was so needed in the game for additional atmosphere.....
anzacmick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-17, 11:48 AM   #60
mikey117us
Engineer

Downloads: 162

So many of the old gang in this thread, Heroes of the SHIII modding community. I don't think any of the discussion was implemented in any mods or the knowledge passed to someone else to continue. I could be in error but I check daily for new posts, wips, and releases. Many that made SHIII as great as it is today may have set sail to fairer seas in newer sims, or real life callings. I myself stuck my finger in the wind and ventured into SHV. That was the worst 6 months of simming in my life. ( I started on a Windows 95 os machine and the original Silent Hunter ) so I returned to what I knew, and what I know works SHIII. I hope others will return? Or the knowledgeable of todays mod workshop will come up with a substitute for vaporware mods and wips.
mikey117us is offline   Reply With Quote