SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Modern-Era Subsims > Dangerous Waters
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-24-16, 10:46 AM   #1
Skyhigh
A-ganger

Downloads: 25
Uploads: 1
Default What is still playable with RA? Campaign? SC Missions etc?

Hello!

It seems that the original DW campaign has become unplayable with the RA mod. Is this correct?
I did the first mission in Vanilla which was fine (I heard somewhere that with LWAMI you got detected already at the start due to an extra towed array) but now with the Qingdao mission the other 688 starts blasting torpedoes straight away at the SAG and everything goes to hell.

The original 688 missions that I found with the Mod seem largely allright, but it appears to be completely impossible to stay undetected in one mission that is about SSBN interdiction. Even at 2-3 knots I get detected and get torpedoes my way instantly.

So what single player missions are good to play with the latest RA version?

Last edited by Skyhigh; 10-24-16 at 11:13 AM.
Skyhigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-16, 11:41 AM   #2
Italian Captain
Seaman

Downloads: 17
Uploads: 0

Good question...and hard reply.
One solution cuold be to check the mission with the EDITOR but, in this way, you discorver all about that mission.
Another way is to check mission's name: if RA mark is reported in the title then there are good chances that the mission will be compatible.

Italian Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-16, 12:38 PM   #3
FPSchazly
Good Hunting!

Downloads: 15
Uploads: 1

If you look in the Scenario folder, there are subfolders that include the Red Storm Rising campaign and the Sub Command single missions and campaigns all modified for RA. Go into these sub-folders and pull the files into the main Scenario folder and you can now play these missions.

Any mission that comes from the stock game and uses a Perry will need to be modified to use the proper playable Perry class in RA. Other than technical corrections, some missions need more extensive modification in order to give the missions proper balance and playability.

My videos:
**Exclusive Look at Modern Naval Warfare!**
Dangerous Waters Liu Doctrine (LwAmi
Learn to play Dangerous Waters
FPSchazly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-17, 11:51 AM   #4
FlyingTiger
Watch

Downloads: 95

Playing with RA in the first mission, I got detected whenever I come to PD. How did you pass that one?Also, after checking the folders, there are no RA files for stock campaigns therefore, it's best to use RA with JGSME, imho.
Sorry for necroing this post.
Old 07-04-17, 03:35 PM   #5
Nippelspanner
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Okay, here we go:
In theory, every mission created with vanilla DW,
will be compatible in the sense of it will run.

There is one exception: Oliver Hazard Perry-class missions.
RA added a "new" OHP which has to be used in missions,
so the vanilla missions need to be edited accordingly,
as RA did with the stock ones.

Besides that, it depends strongly on the mission design itself if it will really be "compatible" with RA.
The vanilla campaign basically is not, see the PD-depth instant detection problem.
In some missions you also start too close to an enemy contact, so the better RA sensors will escalate things prematurely.

While RA adds many great things, the creators made a few fundamental mistakes in my opinion, and one of that is failing to
a) overhaul the vanilla campaign and
b) provide quality scenarios for DW themselves.

Yes, there are quite a lot RA specific scenarios now, shipped with RA 1.42.
But in all honesty, these are terrible in almost every way, sorry to be so blunt, but that's the truth. Check the Ohio campaign, or just read any of the briefings. It is beyond me why the Russians did not just ask someone with sufficient English skills to do the briefings/translate them, but well, it is what it is - and that's just my opinion.

So, if you want to get the max out of RA: Create your own scenarios, which sucks, because it's like tickling yourself, or look/hope for new ones made by the slim and unfortunately rather de-centralized community.

Personally, I started working on multiple missions and even campaigns, but in all honesty, I do not always have the energy/willpower to finish it in time and then sometimes think "what for!?". It feels there are like 5 people left playing this at all, lol.
Old 07-04-17, 08:00 PM   #6
Wildcat
Engineer

Downloads: 69

You have to make a fast dash to the dropoff point before the destroyer gets too close - they'll pick you up on active sonar then send a helicopter to ping you if you approach the drop off point too slowly.

Be careful when near periscope depth, if you broach or raise the periscope the destroyer will pick you up on their radar (They get a mast detection alert) and will then send out a helicopter to investigate.

I typically approach at high speed, even if it means cavitating, then slow down a bit once close to the drop off point, then speed up again and egress south or southwest. It is always a tight squeeze toward the end, the destroyer gets close.
Wildcat is offline   Reply With Quote