Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Modern-Era Subsims > Dangerous Waters
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-26-17, 01:56 AM   #1
Wildcat
Engineer

Downloads: 69
Uploads: 0
Default Frequent crashes with RA mod

I'm playing with the latest RA mod installed on a fresh installed copy of DW. The registry etc was wiped of past DW instances so it is not a registry or installation issue.

The crashes are rather incessant, I can't play more than 30-60 minutes without DW crashing out. Even the mission editor crashes.

Basically it's unplayable as I can't keep the program up long enough to finish a mission before it crashes.

Is this a problem with the latest RA or is there some kind of fix, or ???

Stock DW never crashes and I never had crashes in the past with previous RA mods.
Wildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-17, 02:38 AM   #2
Wildcat
Engineer

I seem to have discovered a definite bug: I'd like others to help me confirm this though.

In any submarine, if you use the periscope stadimeter and ship lookup database (Within the periscope station), the game will immediately crash once the filter reaches any "Civilian" labeled ship.

This makes the periscope useless for ranging which is unfortunate as it's one of the fastest ways to identify a target and pinpoint its location. Pretty important for electric boat drivers in particular.

Edit: This does not appear to crash the seawolf and platforms which use the seawolf interface. The Akula II (And maybe other Akulas?) are also free from this issue. It seems the 688i interface and kilo interface are susceptible to this crash. Would appreciate help from others in determining which platforms are susceptible to this bug.

Last edited by Wildcat; 05-26-17 at 05:10 AM.
Old 05-26-17, 07:20 AM   #3
FPSchazly
Good Hunting!

Downloads: 15
Uploads: 1

Yes, I believe my game crashed in one of my videos when I was in the 688I stadimeter and scrolling through ships. Does your game otherwise just generally crash or have you narrowed it down to this?

My videos:
**Exclusive Look at Modern Naval Warfare!**
Dangerous Waters Liu Doctrine (LwAmi
Learn to play Dangerous Waters
FPSchazly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-17, 06:15 AM   #4
Wildcat
Engineer

Thanks for the reply.

My game seems to crash at other times too, but I have not found any bugs I could replicate other than the stadimeter one.

I did have a crash in the editor when messing with scripts and triggers but I am not sure exactly what caused it.
Old 05-30-17, 06:51 AM   #5
Nippelspanner
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

I am pretty sure this happened to me too, under 1.40 (I think).
It's been a while, and I raaaarely use the stadi anyways, so I never could recreate it.
Old 07-06-17, 09:24 AM   #6
Vlaxie
Swabbie

Downloads: 38

Happening to me on 1.42 as well, browsing the stadimeter is one definite way to crash the game but other than that I'm experiencing random crashes left and right from time to time, no rhyme or reason. Sometimes I go through, say, 5 long-ish quick missions without crashing only to have the game freeze for a moment and then crash in the middle of the sixth mission. I'm quite unsure whether this is an issue with DW itself or RA, never really bothered with playing the vanilla DW.
Vlaxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-17, 09:47 AM   #7
tAKticool47
Bosun

Downloads: 1
Default THANK YOU

I have been having this problem incessantly since I had installed Reinforce Alert.

Basically, at some point in most games, it will crash and give me a windows error box- sometimes it locks my entire system because it keeps the screen in the old video mode, so I can Alt-Tab back to "Windows " but the screen mode stays the same, sometimes it crashes and doesn't remove the DW screen, so I wind up having to Switch User or Sign Off etc.

Anything I can do to mitigate or stop this?

t hanks much!
tAKticool47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-17, 12:37 PM   #8
zero2005
Sailor man

Downloads: 105

I'm also having issues, i generally don't use the Stadi, but for me, it's usually after about 20-30m in (sometimes earlier) and I try to either open the platform reference to get some quick info, or during when i'm trying to classify a target as a specific ship with the classify target menu.

One thing I'd like to know is, what video cards are people using? I have another issue with the stat-card (another post), and I believe it may be an issue related to the wrapper and newer (2012 or so ish) AMD cards.

another possible issue is the 3d models being rendered? i've had random crashes with targets who start at 15-20nm out, then when they get closer or I have a weapon inbound when the weapon gets to a certain distance it causes a crash. i'm wondering if the game recognizing that the target is within a certain distance it tries to render it and fails?

also, i'm assuming you are all on windows 8/10 and running the d3d8 wrapper dll?

has anyone tried sideloading into a Linux install and running WINE to see if these crashes or other errors are still present? I'm tempted to go that route at this point due to potential simplicity vs dealing with old modified DLL's and other graphical issues.
zero2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-17, 06:51 PM   #9
Vlaxie
Swabbie

Downloads: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by zero2005 View Post
I'm also having issues, i generally don't use the Stadi, but for me, it's usually after about 20-30m in (sometimes earlier) and I try to either open the platform reference to get some quick info, or during when i'm trying to classify a target as a specific ship with the classify target menu.

One thing I'd like to know is, what video cards are people using? I have another issue with the stat-card (another post), and I believe it may be an issue related to the wrapper and newer (2012 or so ish) AMD cards.

another possible issue is the 3d models being rendered? i've had random crashes with targets who start at 15-20nm out, then when they get closer or I have a weapon inbound when the weapon gets to a certain distance it causes a crash. i'm wondering if the game recognizing that the target is within a certain distance it tries to render it and fails?

also, i'm assuming you are all on windows 8/10 and running the d3d8 wrapper dll?

has anyone tried sideloading into a Linux install and running WINE to see if these crashes or other errors are still present? I'm tempted to go that route at this point due to potential simplicity vs dealing with old modified DLL's and other graphical issues.
If it's any help, I'm on a laptop with an Nvidia Gforce 840M (2GB DDR3) and Win 7 64x, but considering that many of us are having this issue, I doubt your system is to blame. I'm not sure about the rendering you mentioned but the crashing seems completely sporadic on my end, I've also tried out several different subs but it makes no difference.
Vlaxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-17, 07:45 PM   #10
tAKticool47
Bosun

Downloads: 1

I'm on Windows 10 64-bit-

Hi-performance desktop based off the i7-4790K and MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G.

Always had outstanding results with anything I've run but I'm not a real gamer.

I did some World of Tanks a few years back (which really seemed to tax my system vs.) and World of Warships more recently (which does not seem to use resources nearly as much as WoT).

But this 15+ year old game gives me fits. Definitely seems to be compatibility issues.
tAKticool47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-17, 04:50 AM   #11
Wildcat
Engineer

The problem is not with DW, it's an RA mod problem.

I think there are many 3d model and interface issues that have been introduced with all the new units and there seems to only be 1 or 2 guys doing most of the development and testing. I don't think they test things very well before releasing new versions. There just aren't enough people to test stuff before the new features get implemented.

I respect their work but they need more help to track down bugs. Unfortunately they are very proud and resist outside help
Old 07-10-17, 05:09 AM   #12
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123

Hi Wc
Unexplained game crashes especially if they were previously working alright is most likely to be a Windows 10 update causing it.
Windows 10 as it gets older and updated is getting like a grumpy old man.
You may need to think about running in compatibility mode Windows 7 whereas before you did not.
Running applications as administrators is also likely to be beneficial as well.
This may not be the cause but is worth investigating.
Post #17 Total Black Screen > Sound No Picture > Picture No Sound Fixes < Windows 10 Creator Version 1703 Fixes

I am always suspicious when some players have no problems and others have them.
If the game is set up correctly then it come back to a system problem.

Peter
THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-17, 05:17 AM   #13
Pirate
Lieutenant

Downloads: 152

Yeah, R.A. is bug ridden...

The main problem with RA is they make too many changes between releases without thoroughly testing them.

I wish they would just do less changes, but solid and tested to the detail.
Because in the end all those bugs just kill all the immersion of playing DW.

Adding to all that, is that the R.A. (DWX) mod is a big mess behind the scenes.
Inconsistent naming and redundancy of objects & classes & entities in the database, and inconsistent info in the USNI data regarding to units and their weapons.
Old 07-21-17, 10:15 AM   #14
A-Ganger
Sparky

Downloads: 13

Yesterday I crashed RA 1.42 like 3 times in a row.

Seems to happen when I click a target on Map and do something quicke then try and click another contact.

Got a .dmp file yesterday and found that it's a d3d issue in the game. See below: FYI - My dxdiag reports NO d3d errors and my video drivers got updated 2 days ago.

Microsoft (R) Windows Debugger Version 6.3.9600.17336 AMD64
Copyright (c) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Loading Dump File [C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\dumps\assert_steam.exe_20170712175251_ 1.dmp]
Comment: 'Assert( Assertion Failed: About to leak a D3D device in CD3D10D2DSurface shutdown ):renderer\d3d10d2dsurface.cpp:2277
'
User Mini Dump File: Only registers, stack and portions of memory are available

Symbol search path is: *** Invalid ***
* Symbol loading may be unreliable without a symbol search path. *
* Use .symfix to have the debugger choose a symbol path. *
* After setting your symbol path, use .reload to refresh symbol locations. *
Executable search path is:
Windows 7 Version 7601 (Service Pack 1) MP (2 procs) Free x86 compatible
Product: WinNt, suite: SingleUserTS Personal
Machine Name:
Debug session time: Wed Jul 12 17:52:52.000 2017 (UTC - 5:00)
System Uptime: not available
Process Uptime: 0 days 2:30:47.000
.................................................. ..............
.................................................. ..............
Loading unloaded module list
*** ERROR: Symbol file could not be found. Defaulted to export symbols for ntdll.dll -
*** ERROR: Symbol file could not be found. Defaulted to export symbols for kernel32.dll -
eax=00000000 ebx=0031d668 ecx=00000000 edx=00000000 esi=00000002 edi=0031d688
eip=77b9016d esp=0031d618 ebp=0031d6b4 iopl=0 nv up ei pl zr na pe nc
cs=0023 ss=002b ds=002b es=002b fs=0053 gs=002b efl=00000246
ntdll!NtWaitForMultipleObjects+0x15:
77b9016d 83c404 add esp,4

A-Ganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-17, 10:52 AM   #15
p7p8
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 136
Uploads: 6

Have you all fixes?