SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-18-13, 07:57 AM   #856
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

I am so glad that AOTD Mad Max is working on a new version of FOTRS! Everybody bombards all the mod threads with "is there an SH4 mod like GWX???" And they get all the standard answers, "TMO! RFB! GFO!" and none of those are anything like GWX because their emphasis is on gameplay and GWX is tilted much more toward eye candy with all the extra details in ship types, water behavior, shore installations, canals, you name it.

Well, FOTRS has much the same balance of gameplay enhancement and eye candy goodies that GWS has. And it's a darned great mod that gets way less mention than it deserves. This thing is a masterpiece and when 2.0 comes out I'll be forced to pull out MultiSH4 again.

I do think it's comical to debate the details of which destroyer is which or whether Zeros should be dropping bombs on submarines. I don't know about you, but when I'm close enough that I could tell the difference, I'm submerged, maneuvering for my life and I'm not concerned about whether that thing up there trying to kill me looks like an Akizuki or a rubber ducky! If I ever see an airplane at all it's because I screwed the pooch. My goal is never to be able to determine whether that's the correct type of plane or not!
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-13, 09:41 AM   #857
Fish40
The Old Man

Downloads: 146
Uploads: 0

I agree RR! My only fault is that I'm a realism addict, as well as an eye candy junkie. I currently play RFB + RSRD and assorted compatible mods. You are correct in saying FOTRS doesn't get the "air time" it deserves, and I've thought about giving it a go several times. Unfortunately, every time I want to make the move, the realism addict in me takes over. The fact that there is no compatible version of RSRD for this mod is a major show stopper for me, and probably the biggest reason for my not trying it.

I know that I could have multi installs so I could try several mega mods, but as I stated, If they're not geared towards realism, I'm afraid they're not for me.
Fish40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-13, 11:45 AM   #858
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

But RFB is not realistic. Its mapping system is a pure comedy, where targets are visible when you are standing four feet from the table but if you zoom in closer they vanish. And that's only the beginning of why I don't play RFB. It just got to be a maddening game of "what could they possibly have been thinking. or were they even thinking at all beyond making arbitrary choices that make no sense."

I do have a mod, TMOPlot, that can be layered on top of RFB to restore some sense of sanity to the plot, but I'm much happier with the deals with the devil Ducimus made than the deals the RFB crew made.

Similarly, Lurker left his mod category of campaign mod to meddle in sonar, something that has nothing whatever to do with where ships are when and what they are doing. He decided arbitrarily that sonar would not work on the surface. Just turned it off! The fact is that the supersonic heads under the aft end of the forward torpedo room continued to work just fine on the surface and could even be used with varying effectiveness while under way! To deny us the use of one of three sonars, Lurker merely switched ALL of them off! Its completely unrealistic and contrary to historical fact.

I'm in favor of the option of playing realistically over making choices that rather than allow you to see one thing that isn't quite to entirely blind you to everything that you WOULD see. Realism lies in how the player plays much more in the mods denying the player information. Difficulty settings are not realism settings. And the bottom line is this: simulations are no place to look for reality. Reality doesn't live there.

Last edited by Rockin Robbins; 08-18-13 at 11:58 AM.
Old 08-30-13, 07:50 PM   #859
J0313
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 1789
Default DED! Dead.

Yep, its dead.
J0313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-13, 08:25 PM   #860
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Let's see... Do I believe AVG Warhawk, moderator, Subsim denizen of the dark side since the dinosaurs walked the earth, named after the coolest fighter plane of WWII. Or......J0313, prognosticator poseur (sorry, my brain is firing on seven cylinders tonight. best I can do), misquoting some half-baked Bones thing from Star Trek?

Hmmmmmmmmm...... Guess I'll just have to flip a coin. Anybody got a coin?
Old 08-30-13, 09:56 PM   #861
J0313
Grey Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
Let's see... Do I believe AVG Warhawk, moderator, Subsim denizen of the dark side since the dinosaurs walked the earth, named after the coolest fighter plane of WWII. Or......J0313, prognosticator poseur (sorry, my brain is firing on seven cylinders tonight. best I can do), misquoting some half-baked Bones thing from Star Trek?

Sorry, dont have a coin.
Old 08-31-13, 07:04 AM   #862
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Darn! I'll just have to wait it out then......
Old 09-07-13, 11:28 AM   #863
Admiral Halsey
Best Admiral in the USN

Downloads: 298

Quote:

You think the P-40 was WW2's coolest plane? I have two words for you good sir. P-51D Mustang.
Admiral Halsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-13, 02:04 PM   #864
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral Halsey View Post
You think the P-40 was WW2's coolest plane? I have two words for you good sir. P-51D Mustang.
P-40 was the coolest plane because it was the first to get the best of the Zero. Claire L. Chennaul used brains and cunning to mitigate the disadvantages and use the advantages of the P-40 to down 229 enemy planes in air combat against 12 AVG killed. This was against "superior" aircraft flying in much greater numbers than the AVG was ever able to muster.

Winning with the best, fastest and longest range aircraft in the world is expected.

Flying with obsolete aircraft, inexperienced aviators, flying out of God-forsaken jungle without decent supplies and bases and still having a better kill ratio than the P-51s is ultimately cool! Much cooler than the P-51s. And those shark noses just closed the deal slam shut!

No comparison. P-40s rule. P-51s drool.
Old 09-07-13, 02:05 PM   #865
HertogJan
Weps

Downloads: 137

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral Halsey View Post
Got two loves, the P51 D Mustang and the F4U Corsair, altho the latter had big flaws.
HertogJan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-13, 02:07 PM   #866
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

How about the F2G. Corsair on steroids!
Old 09-07-13, 02:12 PM   #867
HertogJan
Weps

Downloads: 137

That'll do just fine, still it had very poor visibility from 0800 low to 1600 low and everything in between
HertogJan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-13, 02:38 PM   #868
Admiral Halsey
Best Admiral in the USN

Downloads: 298

Quote:
How about the F2G. Corsair on steroids!
Nah the F8F will do for me.
Admiral Halsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-13, 12:28 AM   #869
J0313
Grey Wolf

Default Bye,bye.

3 months since any word from Madmax. Hmmm, think this mod is history. Oh well.
Old 09-08-13, 01:04 AM   #870
agrims
Watch

Downloads: 45

Patience my friend. So many mods that have been in progress for years now, but there are people who still care and I am sure if Max says it will be released, then it will probably be released. Real life happens sometimes, and things hold us up. There is what, 3 or 4 modders that are still working seriously on things between SH4 and 5.. Look at poor iambecome life... his super mod has basically been all him, for like the past several years, and it isn't released yet, people thought it was dead, and look, a few days ago, he posted a preview.

Now, if I could mod, I would. I can build the best computer on the planet, OC it to an inch of it's life, and can tell you most of everything that makes up it's equipment, but software and me, NO BUENO!!!
agrims is offline   Reply With Quote