SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-15-14, 09:36 PM   #3001
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Downloads: 147
Uploads: 5

v1.0.157.0 released. See post #1

Starting with v1.0.157.0 revised the manual diveplanes control patch to fix the CTD that would happen if you had manual control of any diveplanes enabled and you exited to main menu and then loaded a save game or picked another single mission
TheDarkWraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-14, 06:28 AM   #3002
Silent Steel
Sea Lord

Downloads: 618
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT182 View Post
It's amazing what you guys are doing and have done.

Therefore I call on Neal, and the powers to be, to give you guys some sort of special award. All of you mod deserve something for your unasked for hard work and dedication to SH5.
Seconded!!!
Silent Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-14, 07:22 AM   #3003
DrJones
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 341

Hey TDW,

thank you very much for your great efforts. It's getting better and better to get more controls of the boat.

Great that you implement it that way that other uis benefit from it

By the way i like to ask you if you found the error why the order compute solution to target still not working to get an autimatic solution to the target?

I don't wanna hurry because i know very well how much work it is to find the needle in the haystack....

Best Regards

DrJones
DrJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-14, 04:57 AM   #3004
DrJones
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 341

Hey gap,

am i allowed to use this Icons in the Magui Interface?

Thank you for that good work.

Best Regards

DrJones

Quote:
Originally Posted by gap View Post

Quick update of the diveplane command buttons: for better understanding, the icons were flipped horizontally (boat's silhouettes are now pointing to the right direction relative to diveplane dials)
DrJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-14, 05:17 AM   #3005
tonschk
Admiral

Downloads: 172

Quote:
Originally Posted by gap View Post
Let's see if TDW and DrJones can include the new graphics into their UI's
Old 03-18-14, 07:45 AM   #3006
Silent Steel
Sea Lord

Downloads: 618

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJones View Post
Hey gap, am i allowed to use this Icons in the Magui Interface?...
Servus Doc

Does this mean that you are going to include the adjustable dive planes in your Parts Magui?
Silent Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-14, 08:04 AM   #3007
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJones View Post
Hey gap,

am i allowed to use this Icons in the Magui Interface?

Thank you for that good work.

Best Regards

DrJones
Of course you are. Feel free to use any of my UI graphics, and let me know if you need them adjusted to fit better MaGui's style

Last edited by gap; 03-18-14 at 08:15 AM.
gap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-14, 01:16 PM   #3008
chun
Helmsman

Downloads: 445

Extraordinary job this last patch
chun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-14, 08:15 PM   #3009
dubod
Nub

Downloads: 8
Hey all. I'm having issues with the patch ... The most important thing I want is the Hydrophone fix. I have tried both using the Hex editor as well as the generic patcher and I receive the same errors.

1) If I try running the game via the edited .exe file I receive error: "The application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000005)."

2) If I try running the game with the copied backup .exe file I receive error "Unable to start application, terrain.dll file missing from computer"... But I can go into the folder and clearly see the file, which is in the same and appropriate place.

It's frustrating because your mods have made this game an incredibly rewarding and enjoyable simulation experience, the only issue is that without a working hydrophone/the sound guy basically having mute headphones, the sub can pass within 8-10 km of an entire bloody convoy and miss it... I.E without the hydro fix I don't see the point .... any help would be awesome.
dubod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-14, 08:40 PM   #3010
ReallyDedPoet
Canadian Wolf

Downloads: 946

Welcome to SUBSIM dubod, first post since 2012 eh'

Someone will be along to assist you.

Back in the Day

ReallyDedPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-14, 09:09 PM   #3011
Mikemike47
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 1078
Uploads: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubod View Post
If I try running the game via the edited .exe file I receive error: "The application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000005.
IIIRC, this is caused by antivirus program mentioned somewhere in this forum. Norton 360 error

Last edited by Mikemike47; 03-19-14 at 09:02 PM.
Mikemike47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-14, 11:16 AM   #3012
dubod
Nub

Downloads: 8

Hey guys! Yes I havn't had to post anything because you are all so smart and so helpful that when I have an issue it is usually already resolved ...

This worked like a charm! I got a free norton trial with my pc-build.... removed it and voila! What a great new hydrophone! Thanks so much for the help guys! Much appreciated! These mods/patches are incredible!
dubod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-14, 12:15 PM   #3013
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubod View Post
I got a free norton trial with my pc-build.... removed it and voila!
You could as well have added SH5.exe to the list of Norton AV exceptions, but switching to another antivirus was a good idea anyway
gap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-14, 09:30 PM   #3014
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Downloads: 147

Let's talk about our crew's ability to see visual targets. I've been looking over the game code for this and figured out how the game determines when our crew 'sees' a visual contact.

As you may or may not know the crew's ability to see is because of the AI_Visual sensor attached to the submarine. If we look at the data\Cfg\Sensors.cfg file we see no parameter for minimum signal strength as is found in \data\Cfg\Sim.cfg. The game does some lengthy computations using all the values in data\Cfg\Sensors.cfg's Visual parameters to come up with a derived minimum signal strength. The last thing the game does is check to see if it's nighttime.

Nighttime is an on/off thing - it's either nighttime or it's not. This does not model real life! The game has a hard coded value of 0.283 as the value for determining it's nighttime. If the current light amount value is < 0.283 then it's nighttime otherwise it's daytime.

The game has a memory address that stores the current light amount value. This value is in the range 0.0-1.0 with 1.0 being all available light is available (very bright daylight). Now here's where things get interesting. I've made some single missions where visually it's nighttime but the game thinks it's still daytime. The current light amount value was 0.385 with 0.283 being the value that the game uses for nighttime.

If it is nighttime then the game takes the derived minimum signal strength and multiplies it by 3. Then the signal strength of the visual sensor is compared to the minimum signal strength. If greater than then the contact is spotted.

You can now see why the crew is able to spot contacts at far away distances at supposedly nighttime.

I'm deriving a fix for this. What I have come up with so far is defining a value that defines start of nighttime. I have this value currently at 0.5. When the game checks to see if it's nighttime for the visual sensor and it reports back that it is daytime (but visually it appears to be nighttime) I have some new code doing the following:
- if game reports back it's daytime:
-- compare game's nighttime value (0.283) to start of nighttime value (0.5) - I do this comparison because it's possible someone may screw up and assign the start of nighttime value <= 0.283 since it's a variable in the patch file
-- if greater than or equal then jump to end of function
-- if less than then subtract game's nighttime value (0.283) from start of nighttime (0.5) - result is 0.217
-- take current light value (say it's 0.385) and subtract game's nighttime value (0.283) - result is 0.102
-- divide 0.102 by 0.217 - result is 0.47
-- subtract 0.47 from 1.0 - result is 0.53
-- multiply 0.53 by game's nighttime multiplier for player's crew (3.0) - result is 1.59
-- multiply 1.59 by derived minimum signal strength (let's say it's 0.1) - result is 0.159 - this is the new minimum signal strength

What this does is instead of making nighttime either an on/off state it makes it a progressive one. This is how it is in real life - as it gets darker out your ability to see objects diminishes.

I might have to change the nighttime multiplier also. This will be another variable in the patch file if I do. I'm thinking it's going to have to be raised to either 3.5 or 4 from it's current value of 3.

I'm also making another patch that will let the searchlights turn on at dusk. Currently the searchlights only turn on if the game says it's nighttime out (< 0.283 for light value). I'm going to raise this value to 0.40 which should have the searchlights turning on at start of dusk.
TheDarkWraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-14, 12:15 AM   #3015
THE_MASK
Ace of the deep .

Downloads: 901
Uploads: 73

I really cannot think of anything to type other than WOW .
THE_MASK is offline   Reply With Quote